• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Trailer brake control

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 2021 Mach-e er
Occupation
Retired
I’d like to talk with the chair -bound non-trailer using idiot at Ford who decided to remove the integrated brake controller from the 2024 Flash. We have the hitch, the backup control but just a coin slot. A $200 savings on a $70K truck.
Sponsored

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024Lightning Flash, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Self employed
When you build the Flash model, on the build and buy, the tow technology package is automatically included and can’t be unchecked. Are you saying you have a flash model without it?

Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer brake control IMG_3294
Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer brake control IMG_3293

OP
OP

Sobmartin

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 2021 Mach-e er
Occupation
Retired
Yes, they dropped brake controller between 23 and 24

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
Yes, they dropped brake controller between 23 and 24
I’m confused but not surprised. It clearly says on the current build site that it is included but I see photos of the flash with a coin holder.
Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer brake control IMG_3295

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
I bought a Flash a month ago. I thought a trailer brake controller was included with the Tow Technology package. I assumed Tow Technology was standard equipment on a Flash.

When I was shopping, I never thought to look for the trailer brake controller listed as a separate item on a window sticker or on the Ford.com website.

Here is how it looks on my window sticker:

Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer brake control trailer brake controller screenshot

When I go onto Ford.com and look for info I can't find any page that states the trailer brake controller comes with the Tow Technology package. I found a page entitled: "2024 F-150 Lightning® Towing and Hauling", which states:

"The available Max Trailer Tow Package increases maximum total combined weight (GCWR) and battery and motor cooling capacities, as well as adding a Trailer Brake Controller that lets you adjust the amount of power sent to the trailer brakes right from the center console."

I guess I ended up with a Flash with a trailer brake controller not because I understood what I was doing when I was shopping, but by accident when I decided any Lightning I would buy must have the Max Tow package.

Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Max Tow adds a second vapor cooler, it's a bigger change than just the tech package.

Maximum Effort

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Self employed
So after hours of searching it appears that they have indeed made it part of the max tow package. Currently, the build and buy feature on their site clearly states it is one of 7 things included with the tow technology package. It also does not list it as included with the max tow package. However if you do a deep dive into their tow guide (and know how to interpret it) it shows that it is only included with the max tow package. Interestingly, the tow guide makes it look like there are other things missing if you don’t order both. I really wish that the people packaging these vehicles actually used them and had some understanding of how people use their vehicles.

Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer brake control IMG_3294
Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer brake control IMG_3295

climateguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bolt, 2024 Flash, MaxTow
Occupation
Retired
...I really wish that the people packaging these vehicles actually used them and had some understanding of how people use their vehicles.
At one point I called Ford asking how would someone about to order a 2024 F-150 Lightning Flash make sure they were going to get the integrated trailer brake controller. The first person who answered could not answer so they put me on hold for 10 minutes or so as they transferred me to someone they said would know. That person talked to me for a while, then made it clear she had no idea what an F-150 Lightning Flash was. She asked: "is this a battery electric vehicle?". She was going to put me on hold while she supposedly transferred me to someone she said would know. I said thanks but no thanks, goodbye.

Adding to your point: I wish the Ford representatives who answer the customer service line knew something about the products Ford sells.

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
I bought a Flash a month ago. I thought a trailer brake controller was included with the Tow Technology package. I assumed Tow Technology was standard equipment on a Flash.

When I was shopping, I never thought to look for the trailer brake controller listed as a separate item on a window sticker or on the Ford.com website.

Here is how it looks on my window sticker:

trailer brake controller screenshot.jpg

When I go onto Ford.com and look for info I can't find any page that states the trailer brake controller comes with the Tow Technology package. I found a page entitled: "2024 F-150 Lightning® Towing and Hauling", which states:

"The available Max Trailer Tow Package increases maximum total combined weight (GCWR) and battery and motor cooling capacities, as well as adding a Trailer Brake Controller that lets you adjust the amount of power sent to the trailer brakes right from the center console."

I guess I ended up with a Flash with a trailer brake controller not because I understood what I was doing when I was shopping, but by accident when I decided any Lightning I would buy must have the Max Tow package.
The build page for the Flash clearly shows this as part of the Tow Technology Package:

Ford F-150 Lightning Trailer brake control 1723427009007-7w

I'm pretty frustrated at the moment as I got my '24 Lariat a week ago with the Tow Technology Package and the Class IV hitch, but sure enough, I have a coin holder instead of a Brake Controller. I've e-mailed the deal to see WTF.

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
So after hours of searching it appears that they have indeed made it part of the max tow package. Currently, the build and buy feature on their site clearly states it is one of 7 things included with the tow technology package. It also does not list it as included with the max tow package. However if you do a deep dive into their tow guide (and know how to interpret it) it shows that it is only included with the max tow package. Interestingly, the tow guide makes it look like there are other things missing if you don’t order both. I really wish that the people packaging these vehicles actually used them and had some understanding of how people use their vehicles.

IMG_3294.png
IMG_3295.png
This is a key frustration with Ford. You think you're getting something because that is exactly what was advertised on their site, but then nope, the site is wrong. Well in my book, that is false advertising.

Sponsored

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Technonerd
Ok, so I give up with my local dealers for getting an OEM controller installed. The dealership where I purchased it demands that my '24 Lariat has it, but clearly it does not and after 3 separate engagements, will not respond to give me a quote. The next closest dealer, where I first drove a Lightning but did not drive, says they do not service EVs. (WTAF, they literally will not service the vehicles they sell?) The 3rd dealer wants $700 to install it. $250 for the part and $450 in labor.

Ok, so I'm capable of physically installing it, but then I'd need to enable it in the software. Well, according to the Forscan.org website, they do not support any Model Year 24s.

Grrrr... Are there any other options or do I need to feed the beast $700 for something that should have been there in the first place?

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
A lawyer, $2500 in fees, a judge, and wait two years, you might be able to force Ford to pay to have it installed, but they would just send you back to the same dealers.
Sponsored