• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tried Tesla Charger-- No Charging, and Service Vehicle Soon Message on Dashboard.

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
IMG_3481.jpeg
IMG_3482.jpeg

Yeah, it's a "Where's Waldo" experience sometimes; I get it.
It might be in the truck controls someplace but I just use the FordPass app.
Yeah, Ford hired the Helen Keller UX design team for their app.
Sponsored

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
So, I have pretty much confirmed with Ford that I do not have the software update-- so, my procedure should be, using the A2Z adapter I got:

1) Pull up to charger (Note station number, and park in the spot to the right straddling the line.)
2) Get out of truck, close driver door. (Truck still running, because it's too hot out...)
3) Activate Charger in Tesla App. (The Ford one probably won't work.)
4) Once activated, remove NACS plug from station, plug into A2Z adapter.
5) Plug adapter+cable assembly into truck charge port.

Assuming this is the correct sequence, it has failed every time at 3 separate SC stations at multiple stalls. :( Perhaps I have a defective A2Z adapter?

Yes, except see detail added to step 4 below.

1) Pull up to charger (Note station number, and park in the spot to the right straddling the line.)
2) Get out of truck, close driver door. (Truck still running, because it's too hot out...)
4) Once activated, remove NACS plug from station
-4a) On a2z slide switch on bottom to unlock
-4b) Insert NACS plug into a2z adapter
-4c) On a2z adapter slide locking switch to LOCK position
-4d) Pull on NACS cable to ensure it is locked to a2z adapter.

OP
OP

pyromaster114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Yes, except see detail added to step 4 below.

4) Once activated, remove NACS plug from station
-4a) On a2z slide switch on bottom to unlock
-4b) Insert NACS plug into a2z adapter
-4c) On a2z adapter slide locking switch to LOCK position
-4d) Pull on NACS cable to ensure it is locked to a2z adapter.
Hmmm... I have a different version of the adapter... Weird. Mine has no lock switch on the bottom.

Firn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro ER
Hmmm... I have a different version of the adapter... Weird. Mine has no lock switch on the bottom.
For some reason I was thinking you had the old A2z adapter. Do you have the new typhoon pro with the one button on top?

Either way do make sure that the adapter cannot be pulled off the nacs cord.

BTW, you do have the $200 NACS to CCS adapter right? Not the much cheaper NACS to J1772?

OP
OP

pyromaster114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
For some reason I was thinking you had the old A2z adapter. Do you have the new typhoon pro with the one button on top?

Either way do make sure that the adapter cannot be pulled off the nacs cord.

BTW, you do have the $200 NACS to CCS adapter right? Not the much cheaper NACS to J1772?
Yes. Typhoon Pro is the variant I have. :)

After everyone was saying, "make sure the cord doesn't come out of the adapter", I tugged a little harder than I had before, and it slid right off-- no pushing the button on top like the instructions said I had to.
Tried a few more times, same result.
Got a piece of cloth, braced the CCS1 side of the adapter on the side of the tire with the cloth (so it wouldn't get all gross) between it and the tire, and shoved with both hands. There was a loud, audible *CLICK* and then the adapter did not come off with the previously increased amount of pulling force, unless I held down the button on the top of the adapter.

I managed to (after disabling Plug & Charge, though not sure if this actually did anything at all...) activate the charger in the Tesla App via the pedestal ID and location, and I successfully charged the truck!

And then I promptly dropped the adapter while removing it from the NACS connector on the cord, which seems to have chipped some plastic on the edge (not the connector, but still), so now I have to get another adapter. T_T

TL;DR: Man, people are not joking that you have to really shove these things in there. Like, WOW. That was a lot of force. Also, people are not joking when they say "careful, these are fragile".

Thanks so much for your help! Even though the lock switch didn't exist on my adapter, this line of thought eventually lead to the solution! (That solution being, 'push harder'. XD)
Sponsored