• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Turning radius and gate opening

DolfoMan

First Name
Dolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Extended Range
Occupation
Teacher
Hello all,
My lighting is getting delivered in a couple week. I don’t have a driveway and our garage is too short for the truck (and houses my woodshop) So I’m going to need to open up a gate in the back wall of my yard to create a landing pad for it and I have an alley behind the property. I’m having a little difficulty figuring out how wide the gate needs to be. The alley is 20ft wide, I know the lightning has a 24ft turning radius, is just over 19ft long and 6.5ft wide. I was thinking a 10ft opening would do it but I figure some of you out there would be better with the math than I am. I don’t really have a problem doing 2 or 3 point turns to get in but I don’t want to be sitting there all day trying to get the truck in my back yard so if any of you can offer me some more concrete numbers I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
I don’t have concrete numbers but I would say go as wide as you can. I live in front of a two lane (one each way) street and I have to drive into the opposing traffic to get out of my driveway. You have the luxury of time to navigate your gate but I suspect, you will run out of patience if you have to make three point turns every day. My pro‘s 360 camera is not that great with the details on the corners of the truck. I have a small driveway and three cars in it. Enterance is 2’-3‘ wider than truck. I have not hit anything yet but a wider entrance could help me avoid getting into the wrong lane. Good math may help you with what the minimum you need. And that is discounting all unforeseen circumstances with potential load, what you may tow, …. . I say go as wide as you can.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Not Stephen Hawking, but I have a 10 ft wide driveway with bushes on each side, and when I come in off the street I need all 10 feet.

My advice would be to go to the dealership and ask to borrow a demo vehicle, or take a regular F-150 for a test ride and do some measuring while turning.

Your 20 foot wide alley means you have no room to play with 3 point turns, you have to get the nose of the truck through the fence the first try, because when you go to back up you'll be pinned.

Right now my 2013 F-150 is at the head of my driveway, so when I come in I have to turn right to get into the garage, next to the 2013. I have to do 3 back up and straightens to get lined up to get in my garage, because I only have less than 6 inches on one side and maybe 6 on the other.

Also, before you pick it up, you need to get the name right... ;) Lightning.

Last edited:

MillieChliette

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach e GTPE (sold). F150L Platinum
The space between the wall and my mx5 is 10'6" if I park the mx5 well. It's usually more like 10'3". I'm able to back in my driveway and be straight before I hit the concrete pad of the garage and it's an easy job, especially with the cameras and sensors. If I had to back into the same space from a 20' wide alley, I would want more than the opening I have. I'm not the best at backing up, but I'd consider myself proficient. 10' would probably do it, but yeah, wider would make it a lot easier. Maybe 12'

All that said, 10' would work, and if you're doing it every day you'll probably get good at it quick.

How close to he road is the fence? If it's close, not being able to cut the corners at all will make it trickier.

Sorry, I know this is all based on feeling and not geometry. Hope it still helps.

OP
OP
DolfoMan

DolfoMan

First Name
Dolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
thanks all so far. 2 things I should add I guess:
1. I’m already thinking I should go with a 12ft opening instead of 10. I need to go remeasure but I think that’s all I can afford.
2. In my yard the landing pad will only have a wall on one side so I don’t have to make it onto that landing pad during parking. I’ve got about 33ft wide worth of grass back there to be able to come in less than parallel to the garage wall and then adjust

Sponsored

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
OP
OP
DolfoMan

DolfoMan

First Name
Dolfo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Teacher
Can you just pull in/out at a 45 degree angle?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16704...-trick-which-could-revolutionise-parking/amp/
An 8ft wide (w/ mirrors!) by 20ft long vehicle might look weird taking up the yard on a diagonal, but camouflage or partial below ground parking could be considered! (easier to load?)
I can, and then straighten out in the yard itself. I want to be as close to the wall as I can since that's where my charger and outlet will be.. I don't actually have a landing pad yet, its all just grass. But if I'm building this opening from scratch for my needs I figured I try and make it as easy as possible on myself.

Interesting article, I've actually been in a few different structures that have angled parking spots.

Sponsored

Ventorum94

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chev Avalanche, BMW 550i, Tesla MY, Tesla M3
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
1) The Lightning’s 360-camera is of incomparable value in tight maneuvers such as you are describing (it works in forward as well as reverse, just press the “cameras” button).
2) Those camera views are incredibly clear and accurate. I pull into my garage and (have to) reliably stop 2” from the wall, thanks to the incredible view from the front camera.
3) It’s easier to BACK into a 10ft opening at 90degrees than to pull in. (but takes some practice, and learning to rely on the cameras!)

Sarila

First Name
Sarila
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning 2022
Hello all,
My lighting is getting delivered in a couple week. I don’t have a driveway and our garage is too short for the truck (and houses my woodshop) So I’m going to need to open up a gate in the back wall of my yard to create a landing pad for it and I have an alley behind the property. I’m having a little difficulty figuring out how wide the gate needs to be. The alley is 20ft wide, I know the lightning has a 24ft turning radius, is just over 19ft long and 6.5ft wide. I was thinking a 10ft opening would do it but I figure some of you out there would be better with the math than I am. I don’t really have a problem doing 2 or 3 point turns to get in but I don’t want to be sitting there all day trying to get the truck in my back yard so if any of you can offer me some more concrete numbers I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!
10’ is barely enough. 13’-14’ optimal. I’ve 14’, it’s perfect as I have a tight space as well. The 14’ gives me wiggle room in the winter when weather conditions are not optimal, I’m tired or just lazy. The cameras are fantastic!

Ford F-150 Lightning Turning radius and gate opening IMG_2669

SaranacTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Builder
Hello all,
10 ft should be plenty!

SaranacTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Builder
10 ft should be plenty!
I pulled my truck into a 9 ft wide garage door and it's tight with the mirrors, but not a problem.. obviously if you can go wider like 11 or 12 ft it will be super easy! Congrats on getting the truck! I just turned 32,000 miles on mine. Absolutely perfect!

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Can you just pull in/out at a 45 degree angle?
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/16704...-trick-which-could-revolutionise-parking/amp/
An 8ft wide (w/ mirrors!) by 20ft long vehicle might look weird taking up the yard on a diagonal, but camouflage or partial below ground parking could be considered! (easier to load?)
It's shocking that the writer of that article didn't ask how anybody is supposed to use a parking lot where all the lanes are only wide enough for one car, and they all have to be one way in the same direction for the scheme to work. How do you ever get out?!
Sponsored