• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

USB charger - low power output?

Akemisdad

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Platinum
Anyone experience that the usb slots in the front tray don’t put out a lot of power? I plugged my phone in and had it charging while it was driving. It showed power was coming through but the battery % on my phone didn’t increase. Not by a single %. anyone experience this?
Sponsored

Formerly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning 2022
Occupation
Construction Estimation
Was you phone dishing out carplay or Android auto? Gps is a major power user, so the charging offsets its draw

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
I use Carplay all the time and my phone (iPhone 14 Pro Max) charges fine when in full use and plugged in as did my previous iPhone 11 and my wife's phone. It usually only takes an hour or so to fully charge. I would suggest first trying a replacement cable and see if that helps. 2nd, try a friend's phone and see if it charges. That should help rule out a power problem from the USB port.

flyin525

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
if you use the USB C port, it has much more power, like 3x the power of the regular USB port.
you can buy an adapter on amazon for less than $5, or a new cable that is USB C.

jefrank

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat, 2004 BMW 330Ci
No issues with the USB-C port on my Android running Android Auto and Spotify full time. Phone definitely charges while driving.

Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Anyone experience that the usb slots in the front tray don’t put out a lot of power? I plugged my phone in and had it charging while it was driving. It showed power was coming through but the battery % on my phone didn’t increase. Not by a single %. anyone experience this?
The USB only puts out enough to maintain the phone if you’re using it to do CarPlay, stream audio, GPS, etc.

If you plug it into the USB C it’ll full charge without any issues.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
if you use the USB C port, it has much more power, like 3x the power of the regular USB port.
you can buy an adapter on amazon for less than $5, or a new cable that is USB C.
USB c only works if your phone supports usb c. let me clarify, it will work but my understanding is that the power supplied won't be any different than a standard USB. The phone has to have a USB C input.
Sponsored