• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What’s a normal wait time for dealership software fixes?

toskin

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford Lightning Flash
I’m seeking a yardstick for what’s a normal dealership experience when a lightning has a software issue.

In our case, we have a 2024 Flash that works great EXCEPT it won’t connect to Ford Pass (has never even completed a registration handshake) or updated using the modem. It was noticed on delivery, and an initial service visit fixed wireless CarPlay but not Ford Pass.

Its now at the selling dealership to again fix the modem issues (module updates are what I’m told it needs), but I’m not sure the dealership has actually looked at it, and we are now in our second week. The truck has tracking on it, so we can “see” where it is (deep in the storage lot) and whether it moves (it hasn’t).

I get that there are higher priority fixes than mine, but what’s a normal time interval to expect for our truck to be hooked up to a dealership computer and updated?

Also, the service advisor has been providing updates on the truck, probably unaware I can see it in a parking lot. How long should I leave the truck there, and what alternatives do I have?

thanks.
Sponsored

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I’m seeking a yardstick for what’s a normal dealership experience when a lightning has a software issue.

In our case, we have a 2024 Flash that works great EXCEPT it won’t connect to Ford Pass (has never even completed a registration handshake) or updated using the modem. It was noticed on delivery, and an initial service visit fixed wireless CarPlay but not Ford Pass.

Its now at the selling dealership to again fix the modem issues (module updates are what I’m told it needs), but I’m not sure the dealership has actually looked at it, and we are now in our second week. The truck has tracking on it, so we can “see” where it is (deep in the storage lot) and whether it moves (it hasn’t).

I get that there are higher priority fixes than mine, but what’s a normal time interval to expect for our truck to be hooked up to a dealership computer and updated?

Also, the service advisor has been providing updates on the truck, probably unaware I can see it in a parking lot. How long should I leave the truck there, and what alternatives do I have?

thanks.
If it has not moved in two weeks then what updates have they given you? that seems ridiculous! If they had to order a part, they should’ve let you take the truck and rescheduled unless they have it taken apart or something I would be raising hell!

OP
OP

toskin

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It is a perturbing situation, but it’s also a huge dealership and I can understand them having limited EV techs and having to juggle things. I’ve gotten “he’s working on it” several times, and to be honest the service advisor probably doesn’t know exactly what’s going on with every vehicle back there.

What led me to ask this question is that every time I’ve had a “normal” vehicle in for warranty work they seem to be in a hurry to have it in and out. This just feels weird…

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
Do any of your connected services work? Is it just Fordpass you cannot connect to?

PM me your VIN and I'll poke around and see if I see anything that helps.

OP
OP

toskin

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
We don’t have any connected services. It’s been an odd feeling - we would not have given this a second thought in our previous truck, but I can imagine a thousand ways this could cause future problems in a lightning.

I’ll pm later this evening once I can get the VIN at home. Thanks!

Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
This just feels weird…
Likely because it is. Remember how much many/most dealers resisted the Model E certification program? Dealers don't like change. Service techs don't either, that means they have to learn something new, and not just like an evolution of what they already know. EVs are practically alien to ICE mechanics, even more so than diesel is to gasoline. So only the dudes who love cutting edge gadgets are actually getting behind these vehicles. This is likely why only like 1 in 5 dealers seems to their ass from their elbows when it comes to the Lightning and MME.

It's bad enough that when I took mine in to have the camera looked at (same cameras that are on the ICE trucks) they actually let me talk to the service tech, their only EV certified tech, and he went on a 20 minute EV FUD rant while I was trying to show him the gap in camera coverage.

In general:
- Salesmen don't want to learn how to sell them. Learning time is time not spent closing deals.
- Service advisors hate they can't just keep pushing high margin oil changes
- Service techs hate having to figure out something so alien, and they've ranted about software long before EVs since it's a completely different discipline than wrenching and tuning a gas engine.

So yeah, it's weird because Ford pushes EVs but Dealers resist them. Ford dealers are not Ford, they just get to put the name on the sign. It's going to be awhile before the dealers get on board.

OP
OP

toskin

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bring up a point I had not considered- don’t all new F150s have a modem and FordPass? Would ours be harder to fix than the modem on an ecoboost F150?
Sponsored