• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What happened to 48 amp charger?

Bill from King Ranch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
It's been in all the marketing material up to now. I have a 100 amp sub-panel that serves a couple outlet circuits and a light circuit. Would be ideal for a 60 amp breaker to power the 48 amp charger. Don't need the home back-up capability -- have a Generac 24kW standby.
Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It's been in all the marketing material up to now. I have a 100 amp sub-panel that serves a couple outlet circuits and a light circuit. Would be ideal for a 60 amp breaker to power the 48 amp charger. Don't need the home back-up capability -- have a Generac 24kW standby.
You can buy it from Ford if you want, but there are a handful of other 48A options. You will get a 32A no matter what:

Ford F-150 Lightning What happened to 48 amp charger? 1641352115935

OP
OP
Bill from King Ranch

Bill from King Ranch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
You can buy it from Ford if you want, but there are a handful of other 48A options. You will get a 32A no matter what:

1641352115935.png
Thanks, that's some of the earlier marketing material I referenced. But I'm not seeing that in the B&P. Just the 'included' 80 amp with the ER.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Thanks, that's some of the earlier marketing material I referenced. But I'm not seeing that in the B&P. Just the 'included' 80 amp with the ER.
It is just an accessory you can buy from a dealer, not really part of the truck purchase. You can also find cheaper and arguably better EVSEs at that power level on Amazon.

OP
OP
Bill from King Ranch

Bill from King Ranch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
It is just an accessory you can buy from a dealer, not really part of the truck purchase. You can also find cheaper and arguably better EVSEs at that power level on Amazon.
Thanks. I was hoping to save a few $$$ by deleting the 80 amp and adding the 48 amp. You're right that the 3rd party options are more robust feature and cost wise.

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Thanks. I was hoping to save a few $$$ by deleting the 80 amp and adding the 48 amp. You're right that the 3rd party options are more robust feature and cost wise.
I don't think you can do the 80A delete on ER battery selection unless you are a fleet buyer.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I do wonder about an ability to delete the 80A pro charger since it also includes installation.

OP
OP
Bill from King Ranch

Bill from King Ranch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Truck
And yet the 48 amp charger is still highlighted in the just released 'packaging guide'. Besides the added cost, I guess the other thing I'd like to avoid is the solar hard sell from Sunrun when they deliver the 80 amp charger.

Ford F-150 Lightning What happened to 48 amp charger? Chargers

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego

Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 KR F150
I'm sure the 80amp charger will have a setting to run at 40/48amps. We already have two different chargers and both allow to set the amp input, so the charger does not over draw the circuit. It would be nice if Ford would publish some manuals and installation guides.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
And yet the 48 amp charger is still highlighted in the just released 'packaging guide'. Besides the added cost, I guess the other thing I'd like to avoid is the solar hard sell from Sunrun when they deliver the 80 amp charger.

Chargers.png
Yeah - I get that. I already have solar, so I am not as worried about that - I doubt Sunrun would be able to interface with the Solar City / Tesla system I have now anyways. That said - if they can somehow increase my solar capacity I am all in. I only have a 2kW system as that is all my old roof could support when I had it put in ~6 years ago.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I have an EVSE that has a jumper to select the output level. I use it on a lower setting and matched wiring to suit that level. It's in the manual. Other chargers have the ability to select levels with internal switches and some use software. Not sure they can sell the software models and get it to meet code.

Oh, yes, Ford doesn't offer install, that was the Bolt EUV.
Sponsored