First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Retired
I bought my breaker from Menards, and it's been going strong since May, 2019. It's spent much of that time pushing 48A through a Lectron V-Box and Tesla Wall Connector.
I am hoping it was just an anomaly.
Sponsored

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
Charging at just 35 amps on my 50 amp breaker it lasted just over 12 months before burning the contacts in it. The household breakers are not really designed for a 80% continuous load for 10 to 12 hours at a time.
I’ve been charging my EVs at 32 amps on a 40:amp breaker since 2015. I’m charging at 48 amps on a 60 amp breaker for last year with no issues.

It’s normal for standard breaker handles to get up to 140 dF under full load. I measured my breaker temps when charging at 80% of capacity for a while and they get up to around 120 dF max.

https://www.se.com/us/en/faqs/FA173839/

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
Charging at just 35 amps on my 50 amp breaker it lasted just over 12 months before burning the contacts in it. The household breakers are not really designed for a 80% continuous load for 10 to 12 hours at a time.
this is likely never due to the 'breaker', itself, as they are rated perfectly fine for continuous usage, no matter the 'reason' for usage, whether air conditioner, EV charger, etc... BUT, the main reason most problems occur is due to wiring tightness and the connection, itself. You mentioned 'burning the contacts in it', which sounds like you are actually referring to the OUTLET, itself, not the breaker. Regardless, wiring tightness and connection is of utmost importance.
When we initially wire an OUTLET, we tighten under 'ambient temperatures', but once the outlet has been subjected to the HEAT of power transfer over some time, and the cooling process, the wiring tightness and connection can become 'loose', of sorts, and therefore ARCING can start to occur.

The best course of action is to RETIGHTEN the wiring/connections at all locations after several charging cycles. It can happen at the Outlet, or the Breaker.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Don't agree.

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
At home, I use the charge station pro at 80 amps on a 100 amp dedicated circuit. When I am out at meetings, I will use free level 2 charging.

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
I sold my ford provide charge station pro and purchased an 80amp Telsa charger. I use a tesla tap mini to hook it to my truck. Charging at 80amps has been very helpful a few times a year and saved me from going to a DCFC mid day.
Sponsored