Windshield replaced?

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
Came here by wondering if the Soundscreen windshields were more susceptible to cracks and rock chips as my 8 month old, 18k mile LER already has two with normal highway driving. Can’t be right. I’ve put lots of miles on the big three manufacturer trucks and this F150 is the only one that has had this happen this quickly.

I know it’s unlikely, but I read on another forum of it potentially falling under warranty if it happens in the first year of ownership. I need to look into it.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Came here by wondering if the Soundscreen windshields were more susceptible to cracks and rock chips as my 8 month old, 18k mile LER already has two with normal highway driving. Can’t be right. I’ve put lots of miles on the big three manufacturer trucks and this F150 is the only one that has had this happen this quickly.

I know it’s unlikely, but I read on another forum of it potentially falling under warranty if it happens in the first year of ownership. I need to look into it.
No. Stress cracks in year 1 are covered. Not rock chips.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Reasons not to go with cheap aftermarket windshield:

Glareshield pattern
Sound deadening layer
Optical quality

I prefer the factory or better quality ones myself but a cheapy will get you back on the road without hurting the wallet too much.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Came here by wondering if the Soundscreen windshields were more susceptible to cracks and rock chips
For me, windshields are a consumable item. They get chipped from flying rocks and sand blasted to the point that it becomes hazardous after a few years. It all depends on where you drive. So far I have one massive stone chip and no cracks after 53k km's.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I've got a cracked windshield - State Farm insurance. They gave me numbers to Safelite and a local smaller company. I'm going with the smaller guy - personable and seems to know his glass.

He says he has Ford factory/replacement glass - made by Carlite. That seems to check out per the inter webs. He says it will have the same benefits as the factory glass.

Do we know if they Sound screen technology is built into any after market glass or does Carlite truly have the same glass that would go in as the truck goes down the assembly line?

He told me I was welcome to check the glass out before they put it in and cancel if it wasn't what I was looking for. Other than some factory marking about the maker I'm not sure if there is much to see other than maybe the sunscreen printed on the glass.

Any insight?

Sponsored

onekopaka

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'01 Grand Marquis, '23 Lariat ER
I've got a cracked windshield - State Farm insurance. They gave me numbers to Safelite and a local smaller company. I'm going with the smaller guy - personable and seems to know his glass.

He says he has Ford factory/replacement glass - made by Carlite. That seems to check out per the inter webs. He says it will have the same benefits as the factory glass.

Do we know if they Sound screen technology is built into any after market glass or does Carlite truly have the same glass that would go in as the truck goes down the assembly line?

He told me I was welcome to check the glass out before they put it in and cancel if it wasn't what I was looking for. Other than some factory marking about the maker I'm not sure if there is much to see other than maybe the sunscreen printed on the glass.

Any insight?
Early this year a tree branch fell on my truck, denting a few places and cracking the windshield. Since I have a '23, I have the 75 Years of F-Series windshield, and I was not interested in anything but that exact windshield.
Fortunately after a lot of hassle I did get the repair done fully covered by my insurance (also State Farm), and I got the right glass, an exact match.

Some careful heat gun use afterwards (since the repair shop gave me my original windshield back in the bed) also got my REVC sticker on the new windshield, as that was also very important to me. Unfortunately an email to local 600 about getting a replacement one went unanswered, but the transfer went well.

One resource I found useful was Carlex's parts search: https://www.carlex.com/parts-search/ as I could search for my vehicle and see the part number for the correct windshield, and confirm that the repair shop was going to use that. The data matrix barcode at the bottom center of the windshield (accompanied by plain text) will give you the "engineering number" (it is in the format of a traditional Ford part number, model-part type-rev) which will match up with Carlex's part results.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Early this year a tree branch fell on my truck, denting a few places and cracking the windshield. Since I have a '23, I have the 75 Years of F-Series windshield, and I was not interested in anything but that exact windshield.
Fortunately after a lot of hassle I did get the repair done fully covered by my insurance (also State Farm), and I got the right glass, an exact match.

Some careful heat gun use afterwards (since the repair shop gave me my original windshield back in the bed) also got my REVC sticker on the new windshield, as that was also very important to me. Unfortunately an email to local 600 about getting a replacement one went unanswered, but the transfer went well.

One resource I found useful was Carlex's parts search: https://www.carlex.com/parts-search/ as I could search for my vehicle and see the part number for the correct windshield, and confirm that the repair shop was going to use that. The data matrix barcode at the bottom center of the windshield (accompanied by plain text) will give you the "engineering number" (it is in the format of a traditional Ford part number, model-part type-rev) which will match up with Carlex's part results.
Great information - thank you. I had looked in all 4 corners of the glass for info, but had not looked in the center of the glass. All the info just as you noted and Carlex has the matching engineering numbers cross referenced to part numbers. Surprised at the price even from the Ford parts guys - $450 - $600 depending on which site you go to. Cheaper than I expected.

For future reference and anyone else searching - this is the part number and printed info from a '22 Lariat with auto wipers and BC.

Part number - ML3Z 1503100 J

Ford F-150 Lightning Windshield replaced? IMG_7192

I'll have to confirm tomorrow if this is really the glass they have.
Sponsored