C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Data Ops Engineer
Hi folks,

Just wanted to share the issue I faced with my lightning day 0 and day 1 with my purchase of the 2023 Lightning Lariat.

Day 0 During my test drive the vehicle made this strange grinding noise coming from the center console. I thought it might have been a mouse scratching away trying to escape. lol. Anyways. The noise resembled a broke cd player or spinning fan. I informed the sales manager and they offered to fix the issue. They replace the actuator relating to the air conditioning. I test drove second time and no noise so I purchased the vehicle

Day 1 I took the vehicle to work and sure enough the noise came back! However I was able to narrow down the cause. It was the wireless phone charging pad. I held my fingers against the pad and can feel the grinding vibrations coming from it. And also biggest indicator of all my phone did not charge. Apparently The module has a fan that spins and I suppose that thing was off it’s rails or something because you can hear it grinding away. I informed the repair technician and they confirmed it was a faulty module and its cooling fan. Good news is it all covered under warranty. I’m hoping the defects or faulty components ends here and I will get to enjoy this nice truck!

Just thought I share for anyone with similar issues.

Anyways I will pick up the truck tomorrow.
Sponsored

OP
OP
LightningBolts

LightningBolts

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Data Ops Engineer
That’s just the thing. I didn’t even need to use it for it to malfunction. lol. I just placed my phone on there to help pin point the issue. Man now that I think about it I should have opt to have it removed as well!

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Never had any heat issues with mine but its not an iPhone and doesn't have a big case on it.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Never had any heat issues with mine but its not an iPhone and doesn't have a big case on it.
Yeah, my iPhone 15+ (no case) charges just fine.

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I believe the CAN bus integration is prevent the static on the radio when the phone is charging.

I always love the "we just have this requirement" and the fix is a long of items each with it's own set of problems to solve. I see those is an "upside down funnel" :)

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
On one of the mobile tech visits last year, I mentioned the phone gets hot. FDRS showed my 2022 needed a WACM update (Wireless Accessory Control Module, aka charge pad). He did the update, took no more than a few minutes. Still gets hot - maybe not as bad. But I stopped using it since my iPhone 12 mini battery can't keep up if you're doing CarPlay nav.

There's a post in the ICE forum suggesting they changed the module for MY2023 - added a fan.
Sponsored

Last edited: