• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Working Pro Power using Generator Lockout Kit to Feed the Whole Panel

OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Long story short (pun intended), the GFCI on the truck will trip off if the receptical ground wire is connected to the ground wire coming from the panel. So run all 4 wires from the panel to the generator plug and don't connect the green and connect the green from the truck side of the plug to the front of the plug and to the receptical hosing.

Because the generator (truck) is not connected permanently (ie for emegency use), it's legal (in a lot of states) for the ground to float.

One NOTE, I have one more thing to do before we call the inspector but the work was done with a permit and by a licensed electrician.

Ford F-150 Lightning Working Pro Power using Generator Lockout Kit to Feed the Whole Panel 1727267107829-nn
Sponsored

OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I am wanting to install a interlock. My right top breaker is my dryer, so that has to be relocated and the 50 amp generator breaker mounted there.
reading through all the posts, I'm confused about the ground. Do all 4 wires get used from the inlet box to the panel? meaning the ground to the panel ground?

I was looking at something like this
8000-13000 Watt Generator Interlock Kit w/ Inlet Box for Square D Homeline Panel | eBay

And a cable like this
https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Extension-N14-50P-SS2-50R-Connectors/dp/B083TN1LGX/ref=sr_1_19?crid=3KP3ST01RHU4A&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Ovw5rNwS4HmzrIPKmRI9DVhvr5nqnxWBL6Qlbr-b92zGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.YFR3Wp3rxEYPihkbfWb-NDq8Ek1jSfHEWcMn_g__xDc&dib_tag=se&keywords=50+amp+generator+backup+cable&qid=1727217837&sprefix=50+amp+generator+backup+cable,aps,119&sr=8-19&th=1

Assuming you have a Square D panel, you need a 240 volt 30 AMP breaker so a kit like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Interlock-Compatible-Homeline-Transfer-Switch/dp/B0BFDHLTDB

A 240 volt, 30 AMP plug wIth a male/female twist lock like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C23XW6KR/ref=twister_B0CCKRG856?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

See my post for a picture of the plug setup

Last edited:

Jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Thank you very much for the photo, I totally get it now. Yes my panel is
For some reason I was thinking the truck had a 14-50 outlet.
Assuming you have a Square D panel, you need a 240 volt 30 AMP breaker so a kit like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Interlock-Compatible-Homeline-Transfer-Switch/dp/B0BFDHLTDB

A 240 volt, 30 AMP plug wIth a male/female twist lock like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C23XW6KR/ref=twister_B0CCKRG856?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

See my post for a picture of the plug setup
Thank you for the photo, now I understand the ground wire.
And for some reason I was thinking the truck had a 14-50 plug and and put out 9.6kw, but I see that’s the total of all the outlets.
Thank you for the links.
This is my panel, trying to figure where to move the dryer breaker to. The Sense breaker is the only open spot, if the dryer moved there, wouldn't that make the power more uneven and too much on the left side?
And I'm supposed to use a double pole breaker ?
Also, I have solar, so if power does go out, do i have to turn off the solar breaker from it's panel?
And for the input box, something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Tr...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=AJSNQ0W2EEGGO

Ford F-150 Lightning Working Pro Power using Generator Lockout Kit to Feed the Whole Panel IMG_8159
Ford F-150 Lightning Working Pro Power using Generator Lockout Kit to Feed the Whole Panel IMG_8160

Last edited:
OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Thank you very much for the photo, I totally get it now. Yes my panel is
For some reason I was thinking the truck had a 14-50 outlet.

Thank you for the photo, now I understand the ground wire.
And for some reason I was thinking the truck had a 14-50 plug and and put out 9.6kw, but I see that’s the total of all the outlets.
Thank you for the links.
This is my panel, trying to figure where to move the dryer breaker to. The Sense breaker is the only open spot, if the dryer moved there, wouldn't that make the power more uneven and too much on the left side?
And I'm supposed to use a double pole breaker ?
Also, I have solar, so if power does go out, do i have to turn off the solar breaker from it's panel?
And for the input box, something like this?
https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Tr...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=AJSNQ0W2EEGGO

IMG_8159.jpeg
IMG_8160.jpeg
I assume your truck has Pro Power? As for the load balance, the truck shows how much each leg is drawing (kinda cool) so you could move things around to balance the load if need be. I guess it depends on what circuits you'd leave off if running the house from the truck (like the Dryer).

OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
I assume your truck has Pro Power? As for the load balance, the truck shows how much each leg is drawing (kinda cool) so you could move things around to balance the load if need be. I guess it depends on what circuits you'd leave off if running the house from the truck (like the Dryer).
Does the solar also feed the panel?

Sponsored

Jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
Yes my Lariat ER has Pro Power, and I meant the balance in the panel. Would one side be getting too much? But then it may not matter, I'd probably only run the AC, fridge, and some lights, and the TV.
Power usually only goes out here once in a while from the Summer monsoons. And when it does, it's usually only for a few hours or so.
And yes I believe the solar also feeds the panel, it also back feeds the into the meter.

OP
OP

Danface

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT
Yes my Lariat ER has Pro Power, and I meant the balance in the panel. Would one side be getting too much? But then it may not matter, I'd probably only run the AC, fridge, and some lights, and the TV.
Power usually only goes out here once in a while from the Summer monsoons. And when it does, it's usually only for a few hours or so.
And yes I believe the solar also feeds the panel, it also back feeds the into the meter.
I don't know what effect the Solar would have on the panel if the power goes out so that is something you may find on another forum or start a new one. I would test the setup and see if you need to move some breakers around.

Jasper7821

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Aircraft researcher
I don't know what effect the Solar would have on the panel if the power goes out so that is something you may find on another forum or start a new one. I would test the setup and see if you need to move some breakers around.
got it, thank you
Sponsored