Would You Buy A Lightning Again?

neeonline

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting Lariat SR
If they do not fix the software, then I would never buy another Ford in my life.
Sponsored

NCevGuyF150

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford lightning
Occupation
Repair technician
I think my biggest concern is resale and batteries with high mileage in a short term.
Really, if the truck fits my daily mileage needs today, it will in three years. The range will still be good. BUT, if the batteries start to degrade by 100,000 miles (for me at 3 years) whoā€™s gonna want a three year old Lightning with 100k on it? Iā€™ll be forced to drive it into the ground. These trucks are new. Has anyone witnessed 25% degradation in 100k? Thatā€™s SR territory, which will NOT work for me, as I proved with my 2022 Lightning. I guess I just need a little push from overthinking. I think I recall a guy footing the freight got a couple cell replacements, and it was over $10k. I doubt Ford will offer new replacement batteries with updated tech to us early adopters, like inserting energizer lithium batteries in a flashlight over the old Rayovacā€™s.
I do love my lightning. My plans were to replace it every eight years when the warranty expired. My truck has 30,000 miles on it. And it has been in the shop four times in the last 60 days.
Twice the truck has died on a main North Carolina Highway and lost all power. Service soon, wrench completely illuminated the instrument cluster. Yes I was able to completely power down the truck and restart it all while blocking traffic.

This experience has made me scared of the truck. What would happen if I was in a four-lane highway with tractor-trailer trucks approaching at 75 mph.

I am too a long time Ford owner. I have purchased at least 10 Ford products. Almost all of them brand new. And I do believe most of them purchased at Ford dealerships, even the ones that were not brand new.

I do hope that my truck is finally fixed, and then I get 150,000 miles from it, like most of my ICE F150 V8ā€™s

I would be lying to say that since these mechanical/electronic problems with my lightning, I havenā€™t gone and looked at the Chevrolet/GMC products.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
Letā€™s be truthful. No BS, no sugar. Would you buy another?
I ask because I still maintain my 2022 Lightning was the best Ford truck I can remember in 40 years. Solid. Yes, teething, but it was new technology. I had issues, but the biggest was range. The standard just didnā€™t cut it for me. I had to bail after trying to get an ER. Then the bottom fell out 2 weeks later after I got out.
Now, Iā€™m in a position to get back into an ER Flash. Just wondering what you owners have to say.
I an upside down in my current truck, and have enough incentives, tax rebate, and a PCO to right me up. I could save an easy $5,000 plus a year driving a Lightning again. But Iā€™d want to just run it. Iā€™m on the fence. In 5 years, Iā€™d have between 150-200k on it. I donā€™t think the batteries are an issue. The service intervals thru 200k are literally tiring. Nothing. I think a coolant change at 160k if I recall. The ER would fit my daily driving without issue. Vacations? Eh, maybe. I have concerns at 150-200k, who would want a used EV? New tech with better batteries, quicker charging, longer range would have to kill a used Lightning, right? Am I concerned about these things for nothing? I canā€™t imagine my 2023 STX will return $20k in five years with 150 on the clock, after its $15k depreciation in six months. So whatā€™s the likelihood a 2024 Lightning will return $20k in five years with all the other tech advancement strikes against it? I canā€™t find my crystal ball. Thoughts appreciated.
Yes, my Lightning has been good so far, two years with only minor updates and wiper motor recall.

JackieDemarais

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning 2022
Occupation
Retired
I ask because I still maintain my 2022 Lightning was the best Ford truck I can remember in 40 years. Solid. Yes, teething, but it was new technology. I had issues, but the biggest was range. The standard just didnā€™t cut it for me. I had to bail after trying to get an ER. Then the bottom fell out 2 weeks later after I got out.
Now, Iā€™m in a position to get back into an ER Flash. Just wondering what you owners have to say.
I an upside down in my current truck, and have enough incentives, tax rebate, and a PCO to right me up. I could save an easy $5,000 plus a year driving a Lightning again. But Iā€™d want to just run it. Iā€™m on the fence. In 5 years, Iā€™d have between 150-200k on it. I donā€™t think the batteries are an issue. The service intervals thru 200k are literally tiring. Nothing. I think a coolant change at 160k if I recall. The ER would fit my daily driving without issue. Vacations? Eh, maybe. I have concerns at 150-200k, who would want a used EV? New tech with better batteries, quicker charging, longer range would have to kill a used Lightning, right? Am I concerned about these things for nothing? I canā€™t imagine my 2023 STX will return $20k in five years with 150 on the clock, after its $15k depreciation in six months. So whatā€™s the likelihood a 2024 Lightning will return $20k in five years with all the other tech advancement strikes against it? I canā€™t find my crystal ball. Thoughts appreciated.
Absolutely not. I wouldnā€™t buy a floor mat from Ford.

rtshinn

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat 132 kwh
Yes, best vehicle I've had ever

Sponsored

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired

Etsquared

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Occupation
Retired
Yes as my 23 SR XLT will pass down to my college bound son in nine years. If college ainā€™t his path then great truck for tradesman/military (as I did) and my NEW 2033 lightning will drive this old man around autonomously. Hopefully my robot can mend fence, make firewood and filet my catch ā€¦.life in the 21st century is gonna get good.

1TouchAV

First Name
Sebastian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat White Lightning
Occupation
Smart Home Engineer
Yes. My Lightning and all of our Lightnings are a 10O% tax right off for your business bc it weighs more than 6,000 lbs. I've loved my 22 fully loaded Lariat that is also a fully complete Lightning since day one. The fact it's paid my taxes for 2 years and counting is everything. Only reason I would even consider selling is there's no "Collector Item" value for my truck yet although it was amongst the original shipment and one of the fully assembled trucks on the road (meaning it has all the original parts only the 1st batch had before they ran out of parts due to Covid and then cancelled or removed them in later models).

Meddle

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Here's my thing: this is one amazing truck. 2023 ER Lariat here.
That being said, I won't buy another new one till:
1. NACS standard with 800v architecture (including 250kwhr charge rate availability)
2. Better infotainment experience and design (it's so disjointed)
3. Increased range (whichever way this is capable of achieving) 500 miles realistic range on 100% charge.

I love the feel of the truck, I love the size, and the build has been high quality.
'I would also like better mobile app connectivity and the ability to tie the infotainment into my smart home better.

Great post.

Sponsored

Ratherhavefun

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
CEO of Seemore and Dolittle
This is my experienceā€¦ I did! On my second Lightningā€¦ my first was a 22 SR Lariat, had it 1 year (from Dec. 22) and also soon after its purchase, prices plummeted. After a full year and not pleased with the SR range, I traded it, took a bath, but was able to get into a 23 ER Lariat. In the end, between all the negotiations and price changes, I got a better range for the same end of cost of ownership. Now even more happier!

mklcolvin

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Honda Insight, 2022 Lightning Lariat LR
Occupation
Retired; Former Systems Engineer
Absolutely I would! Iā€™ve had my ā€˜22 Lariat ER since Aug ā€˜22, and I can honestly say that itā€™s the best car Iā€™ve ever owned. This is my first pickup truck ever, and Iā€™m a convert - but only as an EV. And weā€™ve owned a VERY early serial number (within the first 500 built) Tesla Model S, and 2 Tesla Model 3ā€™s since 2012. Iā€™ll never drive ICE again, and the Lightning has the best bits of both ICE trucks & EVs. Canā€™t wait for the next gen Lightning with longer range to show up.

rhscnative

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
My F150 Lighting is my 3rd F150 (2003 XLT, 2015 XLT and 2023 Lightning ER) and the best one by far. If I outlive it I'll get another one. I kept my 2015 that I use occasionally for hauling off trash etc. but my go to is the Lightning.

Chillguy

First Name
Marek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 LIGHTNING Platinum
Occupation
Allstate Agency owner
I bought 2023 Lightning Platinum (320 Mile range) absolutely loaded with every possible option with hefty incentives. $95K truck for $75K and I am absolutely loving it. I had tested Hummer, Rivian and Cybertruck and I am so glad I bought my truck. It is the best vehicle I ever had and I had everything from Porsche, S500, BMW 7 series, Lexus, etc. I'd buy one for my wife too but she prefers her little Chevy Bolt and she's happy with it too.

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Yes I would - great TRUCK
Sponsored