Not open for further replies.

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
EV will not be mainstream for a decade or two tops in the US. We don't have the infrastructure to support it, 90% of Americans can't afford one, the Government doesn't have the money to subsidize enough of the price to make them affordable.

In order to make the transition to EV vehicles we need to be energy independent like we were a few years ago, Elections have consequences, and every American is feeling those consequences right now because too many fell for what the media told them.

We don't need to hit a switch and make every vehicle an EV we need to make EVs and gas-powered vehicles coexist and make both affordable before we rush to remove one and replace it with another.
Sponsored

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
This is not true. Back in 08, gas prices got up to $4.10 average...came back down. It will do the same again.
I’ve been waiting for $1.99 Gas in California for about 15 years, $3:50 for about 5 years. The new norm around here is $4.00, considered a steal.

I do believe $5 will be the norm around here.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
EV will not be mainstream for a decade or two tops in the US. We don't have the infrastructure to support it, 90% of Americans can't afford one, the Government doesn't have the money to subsidize enough of the price to make them affordable.

In order to make the transition to EV vehicles we need to be energy independent like we were a few years ago, Elections have consequences, and every American is feeling those consequences right now because too many fell for what the media told them.

We don't need to hit a switch and make every vehicle an EV we need to make EVs and gas-powered vehicles coexist and make both affordable before we rush to remove one and replace it with another.
Much of this is incorrect.

90% of Americans can't afford an EV - Nissan Leaf is under $20,000 with tax credits.

Infrastructure can't support it - Most charging is done at night during time of excess capacity.

Being energy independent has little to do with adopting EVs, unless you're implying that we have inadequate resources to power electrical generation?

Last edited:

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
Much of this is incorrect.

90% of Americans can't afford an EV - Nissan Leaf is under $20,000 with tax credits.

Infrastructure can't support i - Most charging is done at night during time of excess capacity.

Being energy independent has little to do with adopting EVs, unless you're implying that we have inadequate resources to power electrical generation?
First off everything you said in incorrect.

So you expect Americans to bow down and buy a stripped down hunk of Junk just to so they can be in an EV?

A Nissan Leaf is NOT what Americans buy and they shouldn't have to settle just so some people can feel they are making a difference. Families with multiple kids are not going to buy a Nissan Leaf, people who live in apartments or rent are not going to buy a Nissan leaf, those on a fixed income are not going to be able to afford hooking up a charging station (puts the price over $20K), so yes 90% of American can't afford, don't want or it is NOT a practical solution for them.

Top 25 Bestselling Cars, Trucks, and SUVs of 2021 (caranddriver.com)

When you plug your little EV in at night where do you think that power comes from? Natural gas? Coal? If you are lucky Nuclear? So sure, you don't have to stop at a gas station, but majority of people don't have solar power with battery backup and are getting their power from other sources at night mainly natural gas or coal. So if we are energy independent those prices would be cheaper for everyone and Gas would be cheaper for those who purchase gas powered cars.

How every day would look if we followed some peoples plan and switch to EVs before our infrastructure was ready.

Long Lines At The Tesla Charging Station - YouTube

Edit: I guess little Redlightning doesn't like opposing view and either blocked me or deleted all his post. Not surprised.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I love the Ignore function on this forum! ;) :D

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
First off everything you said in incorrect.

So you expect Americans to bow down and buy a stripped down hunk of Junk just to so they can be in an EV?

A Nissan Leaf is NOT what Americans buy and they shouldn't have to settle just so some people can feel they are making a difference. Families with multiple kids are not going to buy a Nissan Leaf, people who live in apartments or rent are not going to buy a Nissan leaf, those on a fixed income are not going to be able to afford hooking up a charging station (puts the price over $20K), so yes 90% of American can't afford, don't want or it is NOT a practical solution for them.

Top 25 Bestselling Cars, Trucks, and SUVs of 2021 (caranddriver.com)

When you plug your little EV in at night where do you think that power comes from? Natural gas? Coal? If you are lucky Nuclear? So sure, you don't have to stop at a gas station, but majority of people don't have solar power with battery backup and are getting their power from other sources at night mainly natural gas or coal. So if we are energy independent those prices would be cheaper for everyone and Gas would be cheaper for those who purchase gas powered cars.

How every day would look if we followed some peoples plan and switch to EVs before our infrastructure was ready.

Long Lines At The Tesla Charging Station - YouTube

Edit: I guess little Redlightning doesn't like opposing view and either blocked me or deleted all his post. Not surprised.

I mean, you said that 90% of Americans can't afford an EV. That is blatantly, hilariously wrong. The average cost of a new car in the US is almost $45,000 right now. There are at least 5 or 6 new EVs, including a Mach-E, you can buy for less than the average price of a new ICE car. Why are you even trying to defend such a ridiculous statement?

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I mean, you said that 90% of Americans can't afford an EV. That is blatantly, hilariously wrong. The average cost of a new car in the US is almost $45,000 right now. There are at least 5 or 6 new EVs, including a Mach-E, you can buy for less than the average price of a new ICE car. Why are you even trying to defend such a ridiculous statement?
How to Choose the Best Electric Vehicle for Your Needs | MoneyGeek.com

I will highlight the special section for you...

The average cost of a new electric
vehicle is $55,000

The average cost of a four-door
sedan that runs on gasoline is
$35,000.

$20,000 is a lot of money for the Average American family.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not stopping national production and not buying from Russia will be a good start.
Yes, becuase who needs a healthy conversation?
Because if we produced more in this country, and didn't buy from Russia, that would help wean us off of fossil fuels? That's what you said in your first reply.

Healthy conversation can't be had with people that make statements not based on facts. It's a waste of time on both parties to try and convince the other when inaccurate statements are used instead of facts.

What if we got rid of the ethanol subsidies? That would a) raise the price of gas, lowering consumption, b) lower the price of corn for non-fuel usage. Would you support that?

Serious question - did you disable the functionality in your F-150 that turned the engine off at stoplights that was designed to save gas? Do you use the Ecomode?

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
@Administrator can you please either go through and clean up this forum or shut down. Political discussion is not helpful to anyone. I'm not R or D but this is just getting inane.

Edit: btw would prefer clean up there is useful discourse here, but also plenty of patently unproductive discussion also.

Last edited:

Dadofjax

First Name
DadofJax
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
You can't be serious.
$20k is a lot for an average American family. Yes, I am serious.

Why is it all these guys with Lightning in their name are so defensive and angry about facts?

Hey, listen man nobody is attacking you guys, I have my name on the list for a lightning too. I just understand how things work and how this rush to ALL EVs is going to be catastrophic to our economy. Lets take it slow, lets work on making both EVs and ICE affordable that is why energy independence and a sound infrastructure is so important before you start forcing people to buy these new expensive vehicles.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
$20k is a lot for an average American family. Yes, I am serious.

Why is it all these guys with Lightning in their name are so defensive and angry about facts?

Hey, listen man nobody is attacking you guys, I have my name on the list for a lightning too. I just understand how things work and how this rush to ALL EVs is going to be catastrophic to our economy. Lets take it slow, lets work on making both EVs and ICE affordable that is why energy independence and a sound infrastructure is so important before you start forcing people to buy these new expensive vehicles.

If the average 4-door ICE car costs $35,000 and there are multiple 4-door EVs on the market that cost less than $35,000...then EVs are affordable to the average consumer. Now, can you see why your original statement "90% of people can't afford EVs" is blatantly incorrect?

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Status
Not open for further replies.