• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Theoretically any fully compliant J2534-2 would work for this right? He uses his on CAT equipment, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work as a generic passthrough.
I asked Opus if there was a difference between their adapters (Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc.) and if I could use the Ford adapter with another brand since they're supposed to be just J2534 pass-through devices. They said that you can't do that and they are all unique. It would be great to get insight on this as I'd like to use the Mongoose adapter to update a few things on our Acura through iHDS (Honda's system) if I could.
Sponsored

Ebrou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT SCREW 5.0L Sport 4x4
Are the characters that are missing the last two in a full set? If so, that may be the checksum set that you see in Forscan. That would be my only guess.

Also @Jesse-Infotainment, to think that bench setup you have there with the mess of wires is all hidden behind the dash, under the hood, and behind panels in the trucks. I wonder how many miles of wire goes into a vehicle these days.

IPMA is in progress. I thought it was going to go quickly, but it seems the long portion of the update is saved until the end. The 10 minute pause at block erase is definitely nerve racking. Going on ~25 minutes of just erasing blocks right now.
You are correct, I just selected the checksum option in the asbuilt viewer and the missing characters showed up..

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Are the characters that are missing the last two in a full set? If so, that may be the checksum set that you see in Forscan. That would be my only guess.

Also @Jesse-Infotainment, to think that bench setup you have there with the mess of wires is all hidden behind the dash, under the hood, and behind panels in the trucks. I wonder how many miles of wire goes into a vehicle these days.

IPMA is in progress. I thought it was going to go quickly, but it seems the long portion of the update is saved until the end. The 10 minute pause at block erase is definitely nerve racking. Going on ~25 minutes of just erasing blocks right now.
That internal process on GAG is a nail biter..

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Yes the last two of every line is the checksum

M.R.F.O.R.D.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I canceled the Nano I had ordered due to the issues I keep reading about from others. Before I order a Mongoose, I was going to try to convince a friend of mine to let me borrow his Autel programmer. Theoretically any fully compliant J2534-2 would work for this right? He uses his on heavy equipment, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work as a generic passthrough.

Has anyone here used a device other than a Mongoose, VCM or Nano with FRDS for these updates?

I got one this one that I can borrow MaxiSYS MS919 but I am not sure if it will work. The moongoose is to much money for us in Canada.

Sponsored
OP
OP

iceman77

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Platinum
I canceled the Nano I had ordered due to the issues I keep reading about from others. Before I order a Mongoose, I was going to try to convince a friend of mine to let me borrow his Autel programmer. Theoretically any fully compliant J2534-2 would work for this right? He uses his on heavy equipment, but I don’t see why it shouldn’t work as a generic passthrough.

Has anyone here used a device other than a Mongoose, VCM or Nano with FRDS for these updates?
Technically yes, any device supporting J2534-2 protocol should work

abd79

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
I got one this one that I can borrow MaxiSYS MS919 but I am not sure if it will work. The moongoose is to much money for us in Canada.
It’s still cheaper than buying the Ford VCM3 at a price of $1,600 USD list. I just spread the cost out, any of my family or friends that want their trucks fixed I ask for a small donation of their choice.

Bob_Mac

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Cyber Security | Developer

I'm not familiar with the Autel, maybe @Jesse-Infotainment or @iceman77 can chime in. I'd be careful with any fully compliant J2534-2 device or clone. The Mongoose is an approved device by Ford and is proving to be a tool of choice right now for those who cannot afford a VCM3.

Jesse-Infotainment

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
I'm not familiar with the Autel, maybe @Jesse-Infotainment or @iceman77 can chime in. I'd be careful with any fully compliant J2534-2 device or clone. The Mongoose is an approved device by Ford and is proving to be a tool of choice right now for those who cannot afford a VCM3.
Only autel I am familiar with it as a generic tool meant for every brand. Ive seen many shops use them for their flexibility.

With these new trucks and platforms I have no idea what the compatibility is or why you would want to try a different device when the mongoose has been proven reliable.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Powerboost

@tonesto7 has used a UCDS adapter that cost him $99 to great success. But you can’t get them right now. https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/ecu-module-programming-guide-using-fdrs.8249/post-182654

Sponsored

Fordphanatic

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Platinum F150
Occupation
Union Carpenter
The status monitor camera is 16439 steps and I'm about halfway through. Going fairly quick so far. Keeping my fingers crossed I don't run into any issues ??
So you were able to do your updates after all

Shoebox72069

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Lariat
I searched through the threads - Did anyone ever run into this??

Updated BECM also required to update ABS, SOBD and PCM. However the BECM updated fails out of the gate due to "procedure Unsuccessful - GetVehicleNodeInfo Unknown Error".

Looks like I can still cant get this guy even a month later!