Home Back-Up and 80A EVSE Missing at Launch

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Certainly not if there is a potential they remain disconnected when connected to the grid. But it is the way to make the truck happily feed the house.
But depending on how the branch circuit neutrals and EGCs are landed, the truck’s GFCI may still trip.

If the panel is listed as “Suitable ONLY for use as service equipment” (emphasis added), the N-G bond from the factory will be irreversible.
Sponsored

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
My current guesstimate is that the inverter being referenced is in regard to for this system is simply a small inverter that performs a grid-forming (voltage-forming) output for the truck to feed AC into. This would be a smallish-inverter dedicated to the "dark start battery" now being referenced to come with the HIS.

1641844034874-png.png

One other piece of potentially supporting evidence here is that a retention slot can be seen in the center of the image with a CCS connector that has been produced (I have never seen the video by Car and Driver this is said to be clipped from). Clearly the end was not placed back in that opening which in this environment surprises me and suggests the CCS end on this cable might not actually fit into the opening. Again, there has been no other indication the end will be CCS other than this photo apparently obtained during a Car and Driver journalist visit.

1641844411239-png.png
From another forum showing the home integration hardware kit here:

https://www.aeeexpress.com/crs/stor...p=false&categoryId=ford&productId=0000000664#

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
Looks like the max output is 9600w. That's nice, but you can already get 7200w using a transfer switch that costs 1/10th of the HIS and use the onboard inverter from the bed. Sure, you have to choose your favorite children with a transfer switch, but even 9600w from the HIS will not be enough for some situational household loads and you'll still need to ration power to an extent.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Looks like the max output is 9600w. That's nice, but you can already get 7200w using a transfer switch that costs 1/10th of the HIS and use the onboard inverter from the bed. Sure, you have to choose your favorite children with a transfer switch, but even 9600w from the HIS will not be enough for some situational household loads and you'll still need to ration power to an extent.
It's been said but the 9.6kW with HIS will get you up to 7.2kW per phase whereas the the 7.2kW with pro power onboard outlet will only get you a max of 3.6kW per phase. Also, you can only charge direct from onsite solar with HIS implementation.

Sponsored

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
So it looks like HIS for back up is 3700 just for the equipment. I plan to build a garage and have an electrician install the charge station pro. However, not sure home backup is worth 3700+install. Manual transfer switch with generator outlet may make more sense.

I already have one solar array with SMA sunny boy tied into the grid. I would still need the full 3700 kit it seems. I was trying to figure out if I just need some sort of auto transfer switch. I thought that would be cheaper, looks like I need a microgrid device. SMA sunny island is like $4k. What is the darkstart battery? Like a smaller backup battery?

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
So it looks like HIS for back up is 3700 just for the equipment. I plan to build a garage and have an electrician install the charge station pro. However, not sure home backup is worth 3700+install. Manual transfer switch with generator outlet may make more sense.

I already have one solar array with SMA sunny boy tied into the grid. I would still need the full 3700 kit it seems. I was trying to figure out if I just need some sort of auto transfer switch. I thought that would be cheaper, looks like I need a microgrid device. SMA sunny island is like $4k. What is the darkstart battery? Like a smaller backup battery?
I think that battery is backup for the control system. It’s too small to provide home power.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Dude, don't you realize that there is a banner across your icon that says "OP"? You created the fake hook. You got one thing right, "begging for attention".
I guess the orginal title of this thread wasn't so fake now that the trucks are being delivered SHORT the "included" 80A Charge Station Pro.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It’s still 9 months from launch. I wouldn’t be too worried yet.
As of yesterday they are officially not fulfilling the charger delivery with vehicle deliveries. Mega fail for anyone who will have this as their first EV and wanted to permanently install the charger that was supposed to come with the vehicle (don't get me wrong I'll take my vehicle asap).

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Wow...did not mean to sound this harsh last night! What I really mean is I don't know what domains you play in, so I was wondering if this was within your domain or not.
I guess I am just close enough to this industry to have seen this coming. Vehicles are being delivered now with no 80A CSP in sight.

Sponsored
OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Funny thing is, I just received a call from Sunrun to start the process of installing the charger before the truck arrives. As you can guess, they have no idea about chargers not being delivered.
The sucky thing is Sunrun might have them in hand for them to do their own installations. If they start installing them for their own contracts and not delivering with vehicle purchases, it will be getting well into the false advertising category for Ford.

pstansel

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai EV6
Occupation
Engineer
Sunrun just sent me the quote to install the HIS and charger. Actually less than anticipated but being blunt I don't trust it. I don't see where the hell they are going to pull 100 amps from my current panel and there's a clause in there about even though they say no current upgrades are needed, they MIGHT still need to happen and cost extra.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Pairing with sunrun is a mistake. Ford is not only a car company, but a logistics company. Obtaining one more piece of hardware and shipping with the truck should not be difficult it the product exists. If it doesn't exist it won't matter if it comes from Ford or sunrun. In addition sunrun do is not provide service everywhere Ford does and sunrun has their own agenda that may coincide with Ford is n some areas, but it is truly their own agenda (Ford wants all customers to get what they ordered and to be happy. Sunrun wants to sell solar installation and would like ford's customers to be satisfied promptly, but if they can take care of sunrun customers first they should and will). Ford should be supplying the evse and if you want it before truck delivery you should be able to order it separately. Maybe getting refunded at time of truck delivery by not accepting the evse.

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Pairing with sunrun is a mistake. Ford is not only a car company, but a logistics company. Obtaining one more piece of hardware and shipping with the truck should not be difficult it the product exists. If it doesn't exist it won't matter if it comes from Ford or sunrun. In addition sunrun do is not provide service everywhere Ford does and sunrun has their own agenda that may coincide with Ford is n some areas, but it is truly their own agenda (Ford wants all customers to get what they ordered and to be happy. Sunrun wants to sell solar installation and would like ford's customers to be satisfied promptly, but if they can take care of sunrun customers first they should and will). Ford should be supplying the evse and if you want it before truck delivery you should be able to order it separately. Maybe getting refunded at time of truck delivery by not accepting the evse.
I am not so sure there is a lock into the Sunrun portion. We could very well see third party HIS coming along. The component that is Ford supported and required is the EVSE - which likely contains the logic to tell the truck to start sending, or stop sending power on the DC lines.

The Sunrun component isn't "special" as far as I can tell. It should be possible to replace it with a different vendor.
Sponsored