• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

220V Adapter / Tesla Adapter

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GB FE
I bought a Lariat ER, but didn’t seem to have to the Tesla adapter or the yellow 220V adapter to use the mobile charger from the bed of the truck. I thought I had seen videos where other people got these accessories included, but my dealer didn’t know what I was talking about. Any advice?
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
There was supposed to be a Tesla adapter to charge from a standard J1772 head.

And the bed power 240V adapter should be included.

What exactly did you receive with the 32A mobile charger ?

I will check for mine this week when it arrives. Maybe the PDI process, the tech took it out ?

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2018 Tesla M3
I also got a Lariat ER. No connectors. Just the mobile charger and the adapter for 110 and 240V.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I bought a Lariat ER, but didn’t seem to have to the Tesla adapter or the yellow 220V adapter to use the mobile charger from the bed of the truck. I thought I had seen videos where other people got these accessories included, but my dealer didn’t know what I was talking about. Any advice?
Aren't they stored under the back seat by the jack? Did you check there?

OP
OP

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-e GB FE
I had some other accessories under the back seat, but not that. Not sure where you’re referencing and unfortunately just had to drop it for service for a bad parking sensor connection and my mobile charger unit already having issues (I had to have the one which came with my Mach-E also replaced under warranty).

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
Early ones got the Farley humor when they included a Tesla J1772 adapter so Ford folks could charge up those Teslas. Mine did not come with a Tesla adapter -- I think it was just a timely jab at Tesla when they stopped including mobile adapters in the cars.

Ford's manual says that the L14-30P to 14-50R adapter required for charging another vehicle from the bed is not included and you'll need to buy it yourself.

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
It was amusing to hear Farley dump on Tesla and then find the charging hardware in the truck when I took delivery, but amusing those of us who got trucks in early June was a waste of marketing dollars.

That said, eveyone should have the L14-30 adapter (if not the Tesla adapter as well) in order to help out those like @Cruiser . https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/lightning-range-fail.11239/#post-232143

Wait until @Hamtech finds out that his "QC" issue was missing Tesla charging troll-swag, and they won't ship his truck until they can source more adapters!;)

Last edited:

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It was amusing to hear Farley dump on Tesla and then find the charging hardware in the truck when I took delivery, but amusing those of us who got trucks in early June was a waste of marketing dollars.

That said, eveyone should have the L14-30 adapter (if not the Tesla adapter as well) in order to help out those like @Cruiser . https://www.f150lightningforum.com/forum/threads/lightning-range-fail.11239/#post-232143
I sure hope Ford designed the connectors in the bed to tolerate full 30A charging for a while. That L14-30P to 14-50R adapter plus the Ford mobile charger will draw 30A continuously from the donor truck. Most L14-30 receptacles are supposed to be limited to 24A continuous loads, not 30A.

duncanmaio

First Name
Duncan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat Atlas Blue
I sure hope Ford designed the connectors in the bed to tolerate full 30A charging for a while. That L14-30P to 14-50R adapter plus the Ford mobile charger will draw 30A continuously from the donor truck. Most L14-30 receptacles are supposed to be limited to 24A continuous loads, not 30A.
I suspect the 32 amp Ford mobile charger is, literally, overrated. I have used the Ford mobile charger on a 30 amp circuit in my garage (I have a Grizzl-e set to 24 amps for regular use) with no issues. no heat, no tripped breakers, and no perceptible improved charging time over the Grizzl-e. But I didn't bother putting a meter on it, either. I plan to try the bed outlet as soon as I can persuade another EV owner to give it a try.

Sponsored

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I suspect the 32 amp Ford mobile charger is, literally, overrated. I have used the Ford mobile charger on a 30 amp circuit in my garage (I have a Grizzl-e set to 24 amps for regular use) with no issues. no heat, no tripped breakers, and no perceptible improved charging time over the Grizzl-e. But I didn't bother putting a meter on it, either. I plan to try the bed outlet as soon as I can persuade another EV owner to give it a try.
It's not so much the Ford mobile charger as I have concerns over the receptacle in the bed. I've seen 30A continuous current melt several 30A receptacles in various homes due to continuous load of EV charging - it's nothing like a dryer (intermittent load) or other appliance (my home UPS gear uses L14-30's).

(When I tried the 30A Ford mobile charger on my Tesla at home, it would only draw 30A max. I need to get out my OBD2 adapter to see what the Lightning will draw from it -- and I think it's criminal that Ford doesn't list charging current anywhere in the display, much less control it.)

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I bet the use case Ford envisioned for this is a limited-duration charge not meeting the definition of continuous load. That doesn’t change the physics and the potential for a problem like you describe is real.

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
It's not so much the Ford mobile charger as I have concerns over the receptacle in the bed. I've seen 30A continuous current melt several 30A receptacles in various homes due to continuous load of EV charging - it's nothing like a dryer (intermittent load) or other appliance (my home UPS gear uses L14-30's).

(When I tried the 30A Ford mobile charger on my Tesla at home, it would only draw 30A max. I need to get out my OBD2 adapter to see what the Lightning will draw from it -- and I think it's criminal that Ford doesn't list charging current anywhere in the display, much less control it.)
My Tesla charger pulls 32A per screen and adds about 27 mi/hr. So far….ford mobile charger a far cry from that. Best I can tell it’s only getting me about 10mi/hr. I have a Tesla to j1772 adapter coming tomorrow so I can plug it into Tesla mobile charger to see if it’s any better, until I get my Pro Charger in.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My Tesla charger pulls 32A per screen and adds about 27 mi/hr. So far….ford mobile charger a far cry from that. Best I can tell it’s only getting me about 10mi/hr. I have a Tesla to j1772 adapter coming tomorrow so I can plug it into Tesla mobile charger to see if it’s any better, until I get my Pro Charger in.
Don't forget that different Tesla models will gain miles at different rates based on their average efficiency. For the same amount of power input, the Model 3 will get significantly more miles for every hour charged, followed by Model Y, Model S, and then Model X, and then the F-150 Lightning. The Lightning gets only 2.4 miles for every kWh added to the battery, 2016 Model X gets 2.9, 2018 Model S gets 3.5ish, etc.

I'm seeing more than 10 miles per hour for the 7.35 kW that I'm seeing the Ford mobile connector deliver, but it's significantly less than what the same power contributes to the S & X.

emmelj

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Don't forget that different Tesla models will gain miles at different rates based on their average efficiency. For the same amount of power input, the Model 3 will get significantly more miles for every hour charged, followed by Model Y, Model S, and then Model X, and then the F-150 Lightning. The Lightning gets only 2.4 miles for every kWh added to the battery, 2016 Model X gets 2.9, 2018 Model S gets 3.5ish, etc.

I'm seeing more than 10 miles per hour for the 7.35 kW that I'm seeing the Ford mobile connector deliver, but it's significantly less than what the same power contributes to the S & X.
Just used to how my Tesla m3 charges. Hope the pro charger helps with at.
Sponsored