• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford 32 Amp Charging -= Real Life

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I took delivery of my 2022 Lightning Lariat ER August 25th and after a 1,000 mile Break-In Road Trip in early September, I began charting my Charge Logs using the supplied 32 amp mobile charger under both 120 volt and 240 volt connections. My rural power is supplied by a co-op over old lines so delivered power often fluctuates wildly while charging so my data may not track exactly with cleaner city power delivered.

Ford states:

" With the Ford Mobile Power Cord and a standard 120V outlet, Ford estimates you can add an average range of 3 miles per charging hour and you can add an average range of 20 miles per charging hour with the higher power 240V outlet. "

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford 32 Amp Charging -= Real Life Real Life Charge.JPG
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yes, if your utility's incoming voltage is lower than 120 volts, the Amps required to charge become higher, meaning that since your EVSE caps the Amps at around 30.5 to 31amps, you'll receive 'less' power during that time.
And, if the utility's power is actually ABOVE 120 volts, the Amps needed are lower for that same power, meaning that you could see MORE power delivered during that time.

When Voltage falls, Amps must increase to do the same job. But, your Amps are CAPPED by the EVSE.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Keep in mind that miles per kWh is an awful measure, because the miles you get is due to your driving style, temperature, weather, etc. 3 miles per kW in 70 degrees becomes 2.5 in 20 degrees. 3 miles in local driving becomes 2.1 in highway at 70mph. Pretty useless measure.

Also keep in mind that you're calculating kW added from a percent that is rounded/truncated. For example, on the 2nd line you show an increase from 76% to 100% being 31.4kw, resulting in 96 miles (3.06 miles per kW).

And keep in mind that there's roughly a 15% loss from wall to truck with 110v, and 8-10% loss from wall to truck with 240v.

A more exact measure is how many kWh you get per hour. You note that. However, note the difference between going from 96 to 100%, vs. going from 76 and 68 to 100%. That's due to the charging curve. The 0.73 vs. 0.76 is likely due to rounding, or temperature.

Lastly, unless you're using all your range, you should consider charging to 90% instead except before a trip.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
I took delivery of my 2022 Lightning Lariat ER August 25th and after a 1,000 mile Break-In Road Trip in early September, I began charting my Charge Logs using the supplied 32 amp mobile charger under both 120 volt and 240 volt connections. My rural power is supplied by a co-op over old lines so delivered power often fluctuates wildly while charging so my data may not track exactly with cleaner city power delivered.

Ford states:

" With the Ford Mobile Power Cord and a standard 120V outlet, Ford estimates you can add an average range of 3 miles per charging hour and you can add an average range of 20 miles per charging hour with the higher power 240V outlet. "

Real Life Charge.JPG
I think you need to distinguish between kW and kWh. Your column B should be kWh added.

The formula is as following:

For 120V, the (max) current is 12A, so the charging power is 120 x 12 = 1.44kW, so it would add 1.44kWh per hour, after efficiency deduction, the truck would add roughly 1.3kWh which turns out about 3 miles.

For 240V, the current is 30A (until somewhere close to 90%), the charging power is 240 x 30 = 7.2kW, it would add 7.2kWh per hour, the battery gets about 6.5kWh, about 20 miles.

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
I think you need to distinguish between kW and kWh. Your column B should be kWh added.

The formula is as following:

For 120V, the (max) current is 12A, so the charging power is 120 x 12 = 1.44kW, so it would add 1.44kWh per hour, after efficiency deduction, the truck would add roughly 1.3kWh which turns out about 3 miles.

For 240V, the current is 30A (until somewhere close to 90%), the charging power is 240 x 30 = 7.2kW, it would add 7.2kWh per hour, the battery gets about 6.5kWh, about 20 miles.
I understand and appreciate all your great comments/corrections to my data but my post is more directed to the average Lightning owner who just wants to plug in and estimate when it will be done and how far he can drive. And how low he can run the battery and still have enough time to charge up for the next trip.

There are so many variables (like temperature, voltage, driving habits, and home-to-truck power losses) that non-technical types cannot calculate easily, I was trying to just give some "Rule-of-Thumb" figures.

I used the data from the Ford Pass as that is only what Ford gives to the average driver. :unsure: :mad:

Of course 75+ MPH drivers will understand over time they will get 10%-20% less range and have extended charging times.

The same losses will happen as the snow starts to fall here and winter deepens.

Concerning the debate on charging to 90% or 100%, that subject is far from settled. Some say it only really matters for DC Fast Charging, not so much for Level 2.

I am not so concerned about charging time at home since I will normally only charge a couple of times each month. And all my power is free from Solar credits.

I just hope some other drivers will chart and/or better understand their own Ford Pass "Charge Logs" and "My EV Driving".

BTW - Thanks, I will adjust my Chart per your corrections. :)

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
OP, you have been a good poster and are clearly an advocate for the Lightning. That’s why it it would be good to know the difference between kW and kWh and how it makes many EV adopters cringe when used incorrectly. It like sayin you went to the gas station and added 50 mpg to your tank. Being an advocate means getting the units right so the naysayers don’t have a reason to question your facts. :)

OP
OP
Sdctcher

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EV Gypsy
OP, you have been a good poster and are clearly an advocate for the Lightning. That’s why it it would be good to know the difference between kW and kWh and how it makes many EV adopters cringe when used incorrectly. It like sayin you went to the gas station and added 50 mpg to your tank. Being an advocate means getting the units right so the naysayers don’t have a reason to question your facts. :)
Yes Sir! Agreed! :)

I do know the difference but plead too many numbers, so little time, and way much coffee too early in the morning!

(The same excuse I used to give my students)

Thank you for kickin' my butt! ;)
Sponsored