Sponsored

Anybody else notice the slight "Click" when starting off either in forward or reverse?

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
On a F150 FB page, there is someone who said Ford rep notified him that his Lightning is delayed by a "Stop Delivery" order.

A Ford dealer chimed in and said the half shafts are the reason for the stop delivery order.

Could Ford have identified certain VINs with an issue such as this causing the huge wait times ?
Well I haven't checked in with my SA to see if anything's new in PTS (I will this morning though) but as to whether it's certain VINs...I think it's going to be an across the board inspection of the halfshafts regardless of build date. This has affected so many people on this forum who, like me, noticed this on the first drive home from the dealer when we took delivery.

And if they'll need to replace all those halfshafts...well that's not an insignificant parts challenge.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2023(J1) Mach-E GT-PE
I dropped by to discuss the above with my service folks and we looked over PTS pretty good for about 15 minutes.

There is no current 'stop-sell' for the Lightning (there is an advance notice for one for the Maverick though).

The TSB we are awaiting to address the clicking has not been released yet.

It was suggested that Lightnings stacking up at RR depots are there due to the possibility of transport delays or some other mechanism at work, but it's not the halfshafts as far as anybody downstream at the dealership there knows. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Arthur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT, Mach-E
I also heard the click some times, esp. when the truck came to a near stop and then accelerated, but the sound really does not bother me.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I also heard the click some times, esp. when the truck came to a near stop and then accelerated, but the sound really does not bother me.
Hi there! If you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership information, I can take a look into your vehicle's clicking noise concern.

powercatnewt

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning, Bronco Badlands, 1968 Mustang
Occupation
MD Director of Technology
I just got mine back from Grapevine Ford they fixed a leaking front light bar and looked at the clicking the lightning tech rode in it with me and said it was not formal but i got it back saying it was normal. They must of done something because the clicking is much less frequent now I hear a clunk and it feel like the slack in the drive train.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I just got mine back from Grapevine Ford they fixed a leaking front light bar and looked at the clicking the lightning tech rode in it with me and said it was not formal but i got it back saying it was normal. They must of done something because the clicking is much less frequent now I hear a clunk and it feel like the slack in the drive train.
That slack in the drive train at slow speeds is what bothers me and is very annoying. Not as many seem to report that compared to the clicking (Which I interestingly don't have). That slack though is weird and concerning as it shouldn't exist in any form. Maybe it is all the same problem, it just presents itself differently at times?

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I know with our MachE, we never got the roof glass recall done or windshield and all was fine. Traded it in on a new one 15 months later, (love these electric Ford's), and by that time the dealership was skilled at the process and mine wasn't the first in surgery. I'm fine with First year vehicles and the inherent adjustments that will be made. It'll be fine and whether our Honda, Infiniti, or Ford, that were all brand new models, in the end, the engineers, technicians and the companies themselves have and will take care of it. ;).

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado
Occupation
Construction
I know with our MachE, we never got the roof glass recall done or windshield and all was fine. Traded it in on a new one 15 months later, (love these electric Ford's), and by that time the dealership was skilled at the process and mine wasn't the first in surgery. I'm fine with First year vehicles and the inherent adjustments that will be made. It'll be fine and whether our Honda, Infiniti, or Ford, that were all brand new models, in the end, the engineers, technicians and the companies themselves have and will take care of it. ;).
I agree with everything you've said there. My concern was that my dealer said there were "loose bolts from the factory" if that is true(personally I don't think it is) but if it is that's a potential safety issue that should be addressed ASAP.

Sponsored

jcarterpdx

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
I have that exact same click in my Lariat. Sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side. I think it started in the last couple days and seems to be getting louder. In my parking garage this afternoon it echoed off the walls so everyone could here it. I can hear it with the windows up. Almost sounds like a ping pong ball being hit. I have 1,225 miles.

Called my local dealer and they said their next appointment was December 27th if I wanted them to look at it. WTH.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I have that exact same click in my Lariat. Sounds like it's coming from the front driver's side. I think it started in the last couple days and seems to be getting louder. In my parking garage this afternoon it echoed off the walls so everyone could here it. I can hear it with the windows up. Almost sounds like a ping pong ball being hit. I have 1,225 miles.

Called my local dealer and they said their next appointment was December 27th if I wanted them to look at it. WTH.

Hi JC. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.

2wheeltraveler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat Rapid Red
That slack in the drive train at slow speeds is what bothers me and is very annoying. Not as many seem to report that compared to the clicking (Which I interestingly don't have). That slack though is weird and concerning as it shouldn't exist in any form. Maybe it is all the same problem, it just presents itself differently at times?
I'm with you on this one, not hearing the click so much but feeling what's I can best describe as slop in the drive line, especially in one-pedal at slow speeds when you're switching between power and regen. I don't recall feeling it at all the first few weeks, everything seemed buttery smooth. Now it happens all the time, some times more pronounced than others.

I'm also noticing a lot more rocking when putting the truck in park which feels very much like a car with a traditional transmission. Also didn't notice that at all the first few weeks. When towing and trying to get a precise ball alignment on the hitch it's especially noticable.

jcarterpdx

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Hi JC. Can you send us a DM with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into this for you.
Sure, it's 1FT6W1EV6NGW14588 and the dealer is Sound Ford Inc. in Renton, WA. However, I live in Portland, Oregon, so going to Renton, Washington is not practical for me because it's 2.5 hours away.

alockbox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Mine 100% clicks every stop and acceleration, with 1 pedal driving on. I mostly hear it from the right side, but I hear it all around too. And they are not synchronized or happening at the same time. Each wheel will have its own click at accel and decel.

If there’s a TSB or recall coming, I’d like to stay on top of it. I had the recall issues with my Mach E and it was out of commission more than half the time I owned it. Starting to get Ford EV PTSD here.
Sponsored