Battery level impact on OTA success

ddbrooke

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It is a bit disturbing to see so many low voltage batteries. Does anyone know when the pack is charging the 12V battery? If 12V is running stuff when truck is at rest, is there anything that prevent it from getting critical by charging it? in other words, is there any settings that let you charge it from the main pack while at rest?
Yes! That is exactly the question that we should be asking and Ford should be providing a solution. It appears that quite a few problem that owners have had eventually involved the 12v battery. It shouldn't be an unknow that require you to open the battery door and manually measure the battery voltage.
Ford, if your listening, there are a lot of holes in your presentation of data. The data is there, it just needs to be visible to the driver.
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
While I'm only a week in, with no issues...

I'm starting to wonder if installing an Optima battery would be a worthwhile investment.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
While I'm only a week in, with no issues...

I'm starting to wonder if installing an Optima battery would be a worthwhile investment.
Doubt it. While it may be a better battery, the BMS is going to charge it the same as a factory battery.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
First I have to say that I really like the fact that Lightning don't waste much energy while sleeping like Tesla and Rivian. That said, I wouldn't mind spending a little juice to watch out for the little guy (12V battery) since everything depends on it. I am not even asking for a lithium-ion 12V like Tesla has. Just a Gage with OTA and a juice button if they don't want to keep it healthy automatically. Otherwise we will have to make our own. Does anyone know how to convert and amp meter into a volt meter?

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery level impact on OTA success 1670904716831

tomjackbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata, Honda HRV, Ford F150L
How would I know the percentage?
If you get an OBD2 adapter (I have the bluetooth OBD Link CX which I think is on sale) you can use an app like Car Scanner to get 12V battery info.

The data about PowerUp failures gets reported back to Ford and is visible in PTS. I assume access to PTS is limited to Ford and Ford dealers.

My updates failed because of a low 12V battery SOC. I am guessing this is the same value that is reported via OBD but I can’t be 100% sure.

This is a Car Scanner dashboard I would monitor while the update was trying to install.

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery level impact on OTA success 87B26698-F8C7-4865-ADD9-D56382CD810D

Last edited:

Sponsored

Capertrj

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F150
Sync reset, then went for a 60 minute drive through the woods to see if I could get the LVB topped, returned to the garage, tried to do an immediate update, still failed.

Scheduling a 12:05 AM automatic update to see what happens.

If this does not work, I'll just wait for the Ford Gods the look favorably upon my Lightning and that fait warrants it shall be done.
How do you do an immediate update? Just checked mine had auto update off and only mentions 3.5.4. I set auto update on and set the time every day starting at 2200.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
How do you do an immediate update? Just checked mine had auto update off and only mentions 3.5.4. I set auto update on and set the time every day starting at 2200.
Click the update now button

Ford F-150 Lightning Battery level impact on OTA success 1670987843509

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
No way to force the Update Now button to appear? Unfortunately my truck is Up To Date running the older software.
It is only active if there is a cached update waiting for install

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I pulled both battery terminals, off and left them disconnected for a good 5+ minutes.

While I had them off, I wire brushed the battery terminals and clamps to remove any possible corrosion, can't be that much since it has only been 6 months since she was built, but the terminals are nice and clean now.

After connecting everything, manually closing the Frunk, and confirming it works normally once again, I kicked off an immediate update, again ..... no joy...... after about 2 minutes past the 2 minute countdown the install terminated.

Reset the scheduled install time frame for later this evening while she is on the FCSP getting her daily drive booster.

If it fails again, then I am just going to wait, maybe it will succeed later in the month, as someone said theirs was delayed until 12/31, maybe my update is similarly delayed.

I have a recommendation for @Ford Motor Company if we have staggered distributions of these updates, maybe holding back on the initial notification as well as the download package would save a lot of angst and aggravations for those of us who are trying to force an immediate update when you're simply not allowing it to happen in the first place due to staging delays.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Also note I followed these steps to ensure I did not confuse the LVB BMS...

The BMS must be reset either through Forscan, FDRS or the easy manual no-scanner technique.

With the truck in accessory mode (push the start button without a foot on the brake):
- flash the high beams 5 times
- depess the brake pedal 3 times
- wait up to 15 seconds and watch the battery icon on the instrument panel, it should flash several times.

Congratulations, you've now reset your BMS.

This should only be necessary when replacing the battery or potentially reconnecting the battery after it's been charged externally without passing through the BMS.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired