Sponsored

Charge Station Pro - Can you disable/turn off the wifi?

RandomguyinPNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning, 20 Ascent
Does any one know if it's possible to turn off or disable the wifi or is it constantly searching for a network? I didn't even realize I was getting a Charge Station Pro with my truck so I've already purchased a dumb level 2 charger that I was going to install in the house, no need for wifi specifically. The Ford Charge Station Pro would be a little faster potentially but I don't want the wifi running constantly.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Why?

OP
OP

RandomguyinPNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why do I want to know? So I can decide if I want to have it installed.

OP
OP

RandomguyinPNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No, why do you care if it’s connected to your wifi?
I don't have or want WiFi running 24/7 so if it's constantly searching I'll go another route. Thanks for letting me know it can't be turned off.

Sponsored

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I don't have or want WiFi running 24/7 so if it's constantly searching I'll go another route. Thanks for letting me know it can't be turned off.
Can you share why you feel that way? It’s no different than a tv, phone, computer. Am I missing something?

Garyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV 6 2023 Ford Lighting Pro
I want to install a FCSP in a remote shop without internet.
I don't want the thing constantly trying to log on to a passing by hotspot phone or vehicle. There are multiple situations where connectivity is not desired so back to the OP question can the wifi be disabled

OP
OP

RandomguyinPNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you share why you feel that way? It’s no different than a tv, phone, computer. Am I missing something?
It's just not something we do in our daily life. On my tv, phone and computer I can disable the wifi...so if you can't disable the wifi on the FCSP then I would say, to me at least, it IS different.

I'm not trying to sound rude so, hopefully, it doesn't come off that way but I'm less interested in a pro/con of WiFi and more interested in whether or not it can be turned off on the unit.

Thanks a ton!

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
It's just not something we do in our daily life. On my tv, phone and computer I can disable the wifi...so if you can't disable the wifi on the FCSP then I would say, to me at least, it IS different.

I'm not trying to sound rude so, hopefully, it doesn't come off that way but I'm less interested in a pro/con of WiFi and more interested in whether or not it can be turned off on the unit.

Thanks a ton!
Can you expand on that? Just curious as to why you disable Wi-Fi on things? Is it cancer causing, Big Bro watching? Just wondering… If you answer with none of you business, that’s cool as well.

And yes you can set it up without setting up Wi-Fi.

Tim

Sponsored
OP
OP

RandomguyinPNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can you expand on that? Just curious as to why you disable Wi-Fi on things? Is it cancer causing, Big Bro watching? Just wondering… If you answer with none of you business, that’s cool as well.

And yes you can set it up without setting up Wi-Fi.

Tim
It's a multi-pronged answer but to generalize, I just have made the move in my life (and my family's) to minimize distractions, screens, constant notifications, etc. One way we've worked towards that is to rarely have our WiFi running. The things that require an internet connection are hard-wired. We don't carry our phones around the house with us and turn them completely off for much of the day, especially when our whole family is together. I work in an industry that will take every second you give it...so in a world of immediate response, sometimes the best way to step away is to just turn it all off.

WiFi signals also interfere with some equipment I work with so I've just gotten used to eliminating WiFi and Bluetooth that isn't necessary.

I think Big Brother already knows everything about us all anyways... ;p

tcfila

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
It's a multi-pronged answer but to generalize, I just have made the move in my life (and my family's) to minimize distractions, screens, constant notifications, etc. One way we've worked towards that is to rarely have our WiFi running. The things that require an internet connection are hard-wired. We don't carry our phones around the house with us and turn them completely off for much of the day, especially when our whole family is together. I work in an industry that will take every second you give it...so in a world of immediate response, sometimes the best way to step away is to just turn it all off.

WiFi signals also interfere with some equipment I work with so I've just gotten used to eliminating WiFi and Bluetooth that isn't necessary.

I think Big Brother already knows everything about us all anyways... ;p
Great answer! Would it be easier to simply turn off the Wi-Fi instead of each individual device? Maybe go from the modem to a switch and router. Hardwire important things to switch and toggle wifi on/off?

Just a thought…

Tim

OP
OP

RandomguyinPNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Great answer! Would it be easier to simply turn off the Wi-Fi instead of each individual device? Maybe go from the modem to a switch and router. Hardwire important things to switch and toggle wifi on/off?

Just a thought…

Tim
We're running a switch and router that covers our general disconnection from the world but some devices that are constantly searching or in discoverable mode interfere with some of my work equipment. It's annoying to say the least and the easiest, least time-consuming solution is to minimize anything that can't have the WiFi and/or Bluetooth disabled or turned off.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I don't know if there is an easy way to disable the wifi under the cover, but you might want to make sure it has the most recent updates, the first one involves calibrating thermal sensitivity, a couple more came since then but I have no idea what they did to the FCSP.

Once the updates are done, the unit would most likelike work fine without a network as others noted above.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
As noted, you should connect say every few months to check for firmware updates.
Sponsored