Sponsored

BzzzzztZapPow

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Explorer Hybrid, 18 Fusion Hybrid, 22 Lightning
What is blue cruise really.... Is it just the ability to take my hand off the wheel and let it track my eyes?

It feels like adaptive cruise control + lane keep assist do literally all the work here. If I keep my hand on the wheel to provide some force feedback... What else is blue cruise really bringing to the table?

Serious question.
This has been my curiosity. What is the 'BlueCruise' in the subscription? Are they only talking about the 'hands-free' part or does it include the adaptive cruise control and lane keeping that I can get on any Toyota Corolla or similar basic car for no/little charge with no subscription? If it is the latter, they have lost their minds. This would be very similar to the BMW/heated seats subscription. I have been a long time Ford owner, but this is testing my loyalty. Subscriptions add no value to my vehicles---options add value. I fear that this will greatly affect resale value once the initial 3yr comes to an end. "Does it have BlueCruise?"---"Oh yes, but it will cost you extra."
Sponsored

ErichKeane

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150L Lariat ER, 23 Mach-E Prem/SR, 90 300zxTT
Occupation
Principal Compiler Engineer
I find the current Blue Cruise "nice" sometimes, it is handy to be able to eat snacks while driving for a minute or two at a time. $200/3 years is probably more than its worth for me, but I was planning on doing it anyway.

BUT $800/year (or $5k for a 'lifetime of vehicle, according to the poll I was sent) is REALLY steep. Even a full level 5 "punch in my destination and have it wake me up when I'm at my destination" is hard to justify at $800/year, let alone what we've got. AT that price, I can keep a hand on the wheel and buy snacks I can eat with 1 hand.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I find the current Blue Cruise "nice" sometimes, it is handy to be able to eat snacks while driving for a minute or two at a time. $200/3 years is probably more than its worth for me, but I was planning on doing it anyway.

BUT $800/year (or $5k for a 'lifetime of vehicle, according to the poll I was sent) is REALLY steep. Even a full level 5 "punch in my destination and have it wake me up when I'm at my destination" is hard to justify at $800/year, let alone what we've got. AT that price, I can keep a hand on the wheel and buy snacks I can eat with 1 hand.
This, and a couple of the other comments in this thread like it, are troubling to me. And it seems with the pricing that Ford is leaning in to and selling a level of capability that really doesn't exist.

This is a Level 2 system. It doesn't open the door to two handed snacks. Other than rest your arms a little, you can't do anything while you're using it that you can't do without BlueCruise hands free. You need to be fully engaged and ready to take control at a moment's notice.

If anybody thinks this feature is worth $800 a year because it frees them to do other things while they're driving, then they need to seriously reconsider. Because that is absolutely NOT what this feature is. Pay attention! You're in control of, and completely liable and responsible for a 6,500lb moving vehicle.

Last edited:

JacksonHandy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, previous GTI and F150 SCREW Lariat 3.5eco
No way would I pay $800 a year. Too many other things I’d rather spend that on.

Sponsored

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
My thoughts?

I really do hope Ford changes its mind. That kind of fee a year for existing functionality is not okay. As others have said, the system will be obsolete in a few years time as more capable systems come out.

However, I do have a little bit of an alternative thought. If this does indeed come to pass, I suspect my wife and I will go with Comma, Ai. instead. We've just installed a Comma 3 on her 2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV Premiere, and so far, so good. It's already better than BlueCruise in terms of what it can handle and what it can't (and on our particular year of Bolt EV the Comma system (OPGM) is not officially supported by Comma).

My friend and colleague has a Comma 3 on her e-Niro, and I can honestly say the branch of OpenPilot she's using (SunnyPilot) is the most accomplished Level 2 system out there. Period. It blows Tesla, BlueCruise and SuperCruise out of the water.

I know that there are already some developments going on with Comma Ai's Open Pilot for Ford, so maybe this will be a thing some of us can migrate toward.

In terms of cost, the Comma 3 is $1400, and as it's open source... there's no software charge.

Thanks for posting this, I didn't realize this technology was available.. at least we'll have other options if Ford doesn't get reasonable with their pricing.

bydabeach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lighting Lariat ER; Volvo S60 Recharge
I’ll enjoy it until the 3 year trial ends. Not a chance for $800/year. $200 is feasible, similar to XM for a year ($150ish). However, XM is used constantly and at home where BC is limited to certain roads.
Who pays $150 for Sirius/XM? I don't subscribe any more, but never paid more than $5/month ($60 for year) by calling to cancel and continuing to beat them down until they offered me that rate.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
IMG_2975.jpeg

On my 2022 (Lariat ER, not Platinum), BlueCruise isn’t mentioned. I wonder if 2022 Platinums don’t have the three year trial and it was included for the life of the vehicle. My Connected Services page on ford.com or the app shows a 2025 expiry. Does yours?

IMG_2980.jpeg

…and the 2023 configurator seems to show - on both Lairat and Platinum - that it’s definitely the three year “trial”.

My thoughts and feelings are similarly negative to everyone else. Eff this.
I have a 2022 Platinum, and I still have the trial.

Ford F-150 Lightning BlueCruise Subscription Price Increased to $800/yr for All Renewals Screenshot 2023-05-21 111508

Ford F-150 Lightning BlueCruise Subscription Price Increased to $800/yr for All Renewals IMG_2881

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
Well, we have three years. Three years is a lifetime in terms of technology. Who knows what BlueCruise will be like or what the subscription pricing will be in three years.

I will say that BlueCruise is the kind of technology governments are pushing to make driving safer. It may be that BlueCruise will be a standard feature on all Fords in three years. And maybe economies of scale and government subsidies will drive down subscription costs.

Anyway, I don’t see any point in complaining about something that may or may not happen years in the future.

Last edited:

SilverBrewer

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
I’ve been a ford customer for the last 10 years. I generally buy a new vehicle from them every year. Between the quality issues, the new fees, the dealer network, and various other issues. This will be my last one.

it is fun to drive tho

Sponsored

mattskr

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Platinum Iconic Silver
Bluecruise would need to work on almost every road (other than maybe residential neighborhoods) plus stop and go at lights in addition to the 1.2 update for me to pay...nah...nope...not even then am I paying that!!?

Hopefully the $800/yr is only for Mach-E's that have the hardware installed "free". I'd imagine they'd do this for Lightning at some point too but hopefully those that paid upfront for it (all of us) would get it for a reasonable price per year.

MrRoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
They should be paying us to beta test it. I'll let mine expire. I honestly wouldn't pay $10 a month for it with how limited it is. There is no value to it.

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
They should be paying us to beta test it. I'll let mine expire. I honestly wouldn't pay $10 a month for it with how limited it is. There is no value to it.
How do you let a free three year subscription expire? I get the feeling you are just trolling.

Last edited:

MrRoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
How do you let a three year subscription expire? I get the feeling you are just trolling.
What don't you get about letting a subscription expire? Seems about as straightforward as you can get. Also I have to assume you don't know what trolling means.
Sponsored