Sponsored

Pre-Collision Assist - How does it work?

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Volt, 2023 F150 Lightning Pro
So I have a base Pro trim (EG110A). On the window sticker it lists "Pre-Collision Assist with AEB". It has given me warnings when a car in front of me brakes suddenly or if it thinks my own deceleration is not sufficient to avoid a crash.

What I'd like to know is: what sensor(s) does this feature use? I know that I don't have the radar sensor for ACC, nor do I have the ultrasonic sensors in the front bumper for 360 view. So how does it know when I'm about to hit something?

Also, has anyone experienced AEB? Just wondering to what extent the car will apply brakes to try to prevent a collision. The few times that I've gotten the warnings there was a red flashing message and some beeping, but I don't think the brakes were applied (or at least not aggressively enough for me to notice).
Sponsored

Willebrew

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Pre-Order | Lightning Lariat ER Owner
Occupation
Software Developer & CEO - ADAS research and development for fun
The Pre-Collision Assist system in Lightning’s without radar uses the camera above the rearview mirror in the windshield exclusively. The system, using the camera in the windshield, is able to detect other cars/obstacles and is able to determine if a collision is possible and/or imminent. Pre-Collision Assist can hit the brakes via AEB if needed, and the strength of the brakes depends on many factors, such as distance, your speed, the car/object speed ahead, external conditions, etc. The warnings you had indicate that Pre-Collision Assist warned you that a collision was possible, but not imminent, so AEB did not activate and hit the brakes. Personally, I’ve had Pre-Collision Assist activate AEB someone cut in front of me while slamming on their brakes and it was intense, but the system hit the brakes before I could, preventing a collision.

OP
OP

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the detailed answer!

OP
OP

rio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Also, has anyone experienced AEB? Just wondering to what extent the car will apply brakes to try to prevent a collision.
I've had the automatic braking kick in one time.

I was backing into a parking space that was along a road, and a vehicle was driving by perpendicular to the space behind me from the right - on the other side of a raised divider with a small hedge in it. There was zero actual danger.

It stopped me completely, and quickly enough that even though I was only going 3-4 MPH it felt a little jarring (though part of that was just the fact that I stopped without hitting the pedal meant I was afraid I hit something).

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X

I was backing into a parking space that was along a road, and a vehicle was driving by perpendicular to the space behind me from the right - on the other side of a raised divider with a small hedge in it. There was zero actual danger.

It stopped me completely, and quickly enough that even though I was only going 3-4 MPH it felt a little jarring (though part of that was just the fact that I stopped without hitting the pedal meant I was afraid I hit something).
That was actually Reverse Braking Assist. Similar reaction, different technology.

Reactions: GDN

ZSC100

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning SR EG 311A
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That was actually Reverse Braking Assist. Similar reaction, different technology.
Yea, I've had reverse braking assist many times and mostly in accident when I hook up a trailer before I plug the lights in, just moving around the shop, etc. It's scary, I think it only uses the ultrasonic sensors. I've had the red flash warning several times on the instrument cluster, but no forward braking :(

djwildstar

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER, 2023 Mach-E GTPE
Occupation
Information Security

I've had a similar experience with automatic reverse braking.

I was backing out late at night after parking along a dirt road. The system saw some tall grass behind me and thought it was an obstacle. It stopped the truck suddenly without me hitting the pedal, and I was afraid that I had hit something -- my initial thought was that there must have been a post hidden in the grass.

Luckily there was no collision and no damage.

Reactions: GDN

jdmackes

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
So I have a base Pro trim (EG110A). On the window sticker it lists "Pre-Collision Assist with AEB". It has given me warnings when a car in front of me brakes suddenly or if it thinks my own deceleration is not sufficient to avoid a crash.

What I'd like to know is: what sensor(s) does this feature use? I know that I don't have the radar sensor for ACC, nor do I have the ultrasonic sensors in the front bumper for 360 view. So how does it know when I'm about to hit something?

Also, has anyone experienced AEB? Just wondering to what extent the car will apply brakes to try to prevent a collision. The few times that I've gotten the warnings there was a red flashing message and some beeping, but I don't think the brakes were applied (or at least not aggressively enough for me to notice).
I believe that you do have radar on the Pro, or some sort of sensors. I'm not sure what the little circles are but you can definetly add ACC to the pro as I've done it and multiple other people have as well. Just need the module and the wiring harness.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
I've had a similar experience with automatic reverse braking.

I was backing out late at night after parking along a dirt road. The system saw some tall grass behind me and thought it was an obstacle. It stopped the truck suddenly without me hitting the pedal, and I was afraid that I had hit something -- my initial thought was that there must have been a post hidden in the grass.

Luckily there was no collision and no damage.
Just another reason to never use one of those OBD insurance "discount" tools. :)
Sponsored

Reactions: s_c