Sponsored

Help please. Do I have a battery problem?

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
dbc files are what you would load into torque or car scanner. It gives you the ability to turn the Hex values into the engineering values.

I have torque showing the display SOC and the actual SOC, which are different. I also have the Hvb (high voltage battery) SOH )state of health). This gives you a better indication on the health of the pack. Current SOC does not. Search the Mach E forums for dbc. Most everything is the same for the Lightening except it will not show the second onboard charger.

BTW, I have never used car scanner, so I don't know what it calls the file.
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You can also go through all the string voltages (your app says cell, but it is really strings) to see if you notice a difference in them. There are 192 strings in the pack.

OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
dbc files are what you would load into torque or car scanner. It gives you the ability to turn the Hex values into the engineering values.

I have torque showing the display SOC and the actual SOC, which are different. I also have the Hvb (high voltage battery) SOH )state of health). This gives you a better indication on the health of the pack. Current SOC does not. Search the Mach E forums for dbc. Most everything is the same for the Lightening except it will not show the second onboard charger.

BTW, I have never used car scanner, so I don't know what it calls the file.
Can you see individual cell voltages using Torque on your lightning?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Micky would you agree that my truck has an issue with the lowest cell being .11 volts lower than the average?

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Can you individual cell voltages using Torque on you lightning?
Even though I test EVs and the cells, I have not programed them into torque for my personal vehicle since I would only pay attention to them during actual vehicle benchmarking (someone else is in charge of that for our test Lightening) or if I thought there was a problem.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I doubt Ford has anyway to 'know' your cell voltages, and it sounds like someone else stated the probability that Ford simply knows of a potential set of packs, from their supplier, that MIGHT be suspect, and want to just replace them ahead of any issues - though, there is no guarantee that you would even ever HAVE any issues. They want to replace my windshield wiper motor, too, but I don't see that as ANY priority for me anytime soon, if ever.

I would certainly not postpone any trip simply because of this. Let Ford do what they want to do on their own time, and at YOUR leisure.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
@Hammick they sent you an email that had details on why they contacted you. They also gave you a reference to the program under which this is being done, 23H01.

I doubt Ford has anyway to 'know' your cell voltages
Ford F-150 Lightning Help please.  Do I have a battery problem? 200w (13)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I doubt Ford has anyway to 'know' your cell voltages, and it sounds like someone else stated the probability that Ford simply knows of a potential set of packs, from their supplier, that MIGHT be suspect, and want to just replace them ahead of any issues - though, there is no guarantee that you would even ever HAVE any issues. They want to replace my windshield wiper motor, too, but I don't see that as ANY priority for me anytime soon, if ever.

I would certainly not postpone any trip simply because of this. Let Ford do what they want to do on their own time, and at YOUR leisure.
Yes, they actually can see all the errors your vehicle is throwing, the state of the pack, etc. Tons of data.

On the windshield wiper motor, it is enough of an issue that they issued a recall, because if your wipers aren't working in a driving rain you can't see. The one I bought could not be sold until the motor was replaced.

OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Hammick they sent you an email that had details on why they contacted you. They also gave you a reference to the program under which this is being done, 23H01.

Yes Thank you. I've read everything there is to read about the 23HO1 program that affects my truck as well as all 2022's and 2023's built before 1-3-23. Disappointed that Ford is being vague and giving little information. Dealer's don't know anything either.

OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Finished my testing yesterday on our truck. Went from 52% SOC to 9% SOC averaging about 73mph. Voltage deviation between the weak cell and the average actually got a littler better in the lower part of the pack. At about 43 miles remaining truck went to 95% power and then to 90% power at about 25 miles remaining. Full acceleration at 9% SOC seemed fine and didn't change the voltage deviation or throw any faults.

So we are taking our truck on this long trip and getting the module replaced when we get back. Wish us luck and thanks for all the great advice.

Shame on Ford for not providing any help whatsoever.

Ford F-150 Lightning Help please.  Do I have a battery problem? 36

Ford F-150 Lightning Help please.  Do I have a battery problem? 37

Ford F-150 Lightning Help please.  Do I have a battery problem? 38

Ford F-150 Lightning Help please.  Do I have a battery problem? 39

Ford F-150 Lightning Help please.  Do I have a battery problem? 40

Ford F-150 Lightning Help please.  Do I have a battery problem? 41

Sponsored

Grumpy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Pro SR
Occupation
Retired Hvy Construction
Shame on Ford for not providing any help whatsoever.
I don't know, it seems Ford was proactive with their first contact.

Two days ago I got the call from Ford that they want to replace a battery module (23H01 program). However, they can't tell me if anything is wrong with our truck and said we can continue to drive it.

OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I don't know, it seems Ford was proactive with their first contact.
I couldn't disagree more. I was told they escalated my request for more info and somebody higher up would contact me within 48 hours. That was 96 hours ago.

They wouldn't tell me if it was OK to drive the truck on a long road trip. I shouldn't have to buy a car scanner, figure out how to use it and spend 8 hours of my time driving 200 plus miles to figure out if I can take my brand new 80k truck on a road trip. Ford would not authorize my dealer to scan my truck for issues so I could determine if it was OK to take it on a trip.

The 23H01 program started at the end of January. Why weren't the dealer's informed? I've had four different dealers run my VIN and none of them saw anything about this program in their system let alone connected to my truck. In fact none of them knew anything about the program whatsoever.

I bought my truck at the beginning of June and asked the service department if there were any recalls before I finalized the purchase. They said the wiper recall was completed an no other recalls existed. Ford is keeping their dealers in the dark as well.

That being said I am glad Ford is recognizing there is an issue. The Ford of years ago would deny, delay and defend until they were forced by NHTSA or exorbitant ligation costs and/or court judgments to take action. So that is somewhat positive news.

Last edited:

tonyme

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER 2022
My SOC jumped from 85% to 100% suddenly while charging, similar to yours. A few days later I got stranded with a faulty pack error (powertrain). This happened not once but twice on mine. This sudden jump is a clear sign that a cell is bad. If Ford have contacted you about the field action, you have a considerable chance of being stranded in a nearby future. They can remotely read the full battery pack health status. I wouldn’t hit the road for a long trip until they change this pack.

OP
OP
Hammick

Hammick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks Tony. We either risk it or cancel our vacation. Based on my testing that I did we are going to risk it. Our other vehicle is an Ioniq 5 and the roads have bad flood damage at our place in Montana so we have to have a truck or high clearance vehicle for this trip. Ford won't give me a loaner for the trip.

When you received the fault did turning the truck off and back on get you going again? I am going to monitor the voltages during the trip to see if they get any worse and we will be charging below 80% for most of the trip.

I also have the ability to clear faults with Forescan.