Sponsored

Addressing torque steer?

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Not sure about you guys but I've had many performance vehicles and electric vehicles and this truck has the most insane torque steer of all of them. It's downright frightening to be honest lol.

Has anyone gone about trying to address this other than not accelerating hard? Maybe tires? suspension geometry in the front? let me know your thoughts...
Sponsored

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lol, hold on to the wheel.

Have you ever had an awd performance vehicle?

And no, the torque steer is still way less than any of my old fwd cars.
I mean I'm not here to brag but it's remarkably more frightening compared to any Telsa, Porsche, STI, etc that I've owned or driven. It gets away from you very quickly.

Reactions: GDN

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Rwd cars don't have torque steer that's why. Fwd and awd will torque steer. Oh ya, it's also a truck with truck like suspension so comparing it to pretty much any car is not going to produce the same results. It's much more comfortable than a real Porsche.

Try off-road mode, it might be less torque steer with the diff locked and TC off.

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rwd cars don't have torque steer that's why. Fwd and awd will torque steer.

Try off-road mode, it might be less torque steer with the diff locked and TC off.
I guess what I'm saying is that the Telsa Model S/Model 3, 911 Turbo S, and STI that I have owned/driven are AWD. Granted some of them have a RWD bias but so does the truck.

I'll try off-road mode.

Sponsored

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
Incorrect. The front motor pulls more than the rear motor pushes.

kbuicker

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Not sure about you guys but I've had many performance vehicles and electric vehicles and this truck has the most insane torque steer of all of them. It's downright frightening to be honest lol.

Has anyone gone about trying to address this other than not accelerating hard? Maybe tires? suspension geometry in the front? let me know your thoughts...
I made the mistake of taking off from a light with a curve in front of me.... I won't do that again. :)

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Rwd cars don't have torque steer that's why. Fwd and awd will torque steer. Oh ya, it's also a truck with truck like suspension so comparing it to pretty much any car is not going to produce the same results. It's much more comfortable than a real Porsche.

Keep in mind with the rear locked, you shouldn't be trying to take curves, make turns.

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I thought the front and rear motors are identical
The motors have the same rating, but that’s not really relevant in this context. The power control system can bias the power distribution to either front or rear.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
The motors have the same rating, but that’s not really relevant in this context. The power control system can bias the power distribution to either front or rear.
Yup, and my fairly confident guess is that it is set to bias the front to minimize and/or eliminate oversteer which can be much more dangerous for those not used to it. Similar reasons are why the power ramps in vs. just hitting all at once.

WildBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F150 Lightning Flash
I am a bit disappointed to hear of a torque steer problem on this truck. I was hoping the tuning would have been rear biased instead of front biased, which is what a normal ICE truck is.

OP
OP

dothedew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am a bit disappointed to hear of a torque steer problem on this truck. I was hoping the tuning would have been rear biased instead of front biased, which is what a normal ICE truck is.
Well there are some ways to address it, as I understand, some different from others... but so far the consensus is "are you dumb its AWD" and "hold on better" lol
Sponsored