Sponsored

Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out?

KenR

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1. 2002 Thunderbird 2. 2022 F-150 Lightning Platin
Occupation
Business Owner
I just crossed 30k miles and my rear tires are about done. They were originally on the fronts and I waited to late to rotate them to the back. I have the Hankook Dynopro AT2s that came stock on the Lariat 20 inch rims. I am actually thinking about going with the other stock option which is the General Grabber HTS 60 thinking I may pick up some range. The Hankooks are 41lbs and the Generals are 34lbs. Both my local ford dealers had no clue on EV specific truck tires and wanted to quote me on more aggressive truck tires that they put on ICE F150s. But most of those weight in the upper to mid 40lb range. So, what's everyone's opinion on tires to replace worn our stockers with? I want something that performs well, I do see my fair share of tractor paths around the farmland around here but nothing to crazy. I may do some beach sand driving once or twice a year. But I need the range to actually get to the beach first. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
NC Mike,
The only way to go is MICHELIN DEFENDERS. They are pricey, but durability, traction and ride are smooth and well worth the dollars spent. They are so good, they should come with a 60 Day guarantee.
Sponsored

OP
OP

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Red Lariat Lightning
Thanks everyone. Another question, is there another metric I should be looking at besides weight when trying to find a tire that will not comprise range? I did watch Tom's video and TFL's videos they did comparing stock vs a more aggressive A/T tire. I want to avoid that kind of range lose if possible.

So far my findings are
BFG All Terrains KO2 55lbs No rating (8% decrease in range vs stock Generals per Tom)
Michelin Defender LTX M/S 42lbs 800AA
Goodyear Wrangler Territory HT 38lbs 680AB
Goodyear Wrangler Steadfast HT 48lbs 800AB
BFG Trail Terrain T/A 47lbs 660AA (13% more battery used vs stock Hankcooks on their loop per TFL)
Toyo Open Country HT-2 44lbs 740AB
Hanook Dynapro AT2 41lbs 440AA (Stock AT)
General Grabber HTS 60 34lbs 620AB (Stock AS)
Copper Discoverer AT3 4S 44lbs 620AB

At the moment leaning towards the Michelins due to similar weight as the stock Hankooks and I have used them on my previous F150.

OP
OP

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So the Pirelli Scorpion All Terrain Plus that comes on the rivians is 46lbs and 640AB rating.

Still leaning towards the Michelins since they are lighter and higher treadwear rating. The other thought in the back of my head is I am only keeping this truck for 2 more years. By then Ill be closing in on 90,000 miles so I don't really want to have to buy another set of tires. Hoping the Michelins will last another 60,000.

Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Thanks everyone. Another question, is there another metric I should be looking at besides weight when trying to find a tire that will not comprise range? I did watch Tom's video and TFL's videos they did comparing stock vs a more aggressive A/T tire. I want to avoid that kind of range lose if possible.

So far my findings are
BFG All Terrains KO2 55lbs No rating (8% decrease in range vs stock Generals per Tom)
Michelin Defender LTX M/S 42lbs 800AA
Goodyear Wrangler Territory HT 38lbs 680AB
Goodyear Wrangler Steadfast HT 48lbs 800AB
BFG Trail Terrain T/A 47lbs 660AA (13% more battery used vs stock Hankcooks on their loop per TFL)
Toyo Open Country HT-2 44lbs 740AB
Hanook Dynapro AT2 41lbs 440AA (Stock AT)
General Grabber HTS 60 34lbs 620AB (Stock AS)
Copper Discoverer AT3 4S 44lbs 620AB

At the moment leaning towards the Michelins due to similar weight as the stock Hankooks and I have used them on my previous F150.
Toyo Open Country AT3 275/60R20 42lbs, 3peak (not the LT version)
Firestone Destination A/T2 at 42 lbs, 3peak

Michelin Defender is an AS tire, so I don't see how it's an option if you want AT (3-peak). If all you care about is a good tire without losing range, than I guess AS is the safer option but it's really a tire per tire thing.

I plan on getting a "light" AT tire along with lighter rims like https://vorsteineroffroad.com/products/vr-601-tungsten-graphite?variant=43460796285173
(13lbs lighter than stock I think) so the total wheel package is lighter than stock even with AT tires.

In terms of load ratings, I'm comfortable with anything above 2600lbs since that what the wheels can take but stock A/T Hankook Dynapro AT2' are 2,679lbs.

The KO2s are really heavy because they only offer the LT version in that size. LT is overkill IMO unless you're doing pretty significant offroading.

Last edited:

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
What we really need is some kind of rolling resistance metric. I know it is messy based on application and tire pressure, but without that it is very hard to compare.

I will say that someones numbers are off on the 2 BFG tires. The Trail Terrain is less aggressive and lighter tire than the KO2, but TFL had more range loss than Tom. Something doesn't add up.

My experience with the KO2 was a 20% mpg hit on my old gas truck, but that was also going from 32" to 33". I would expect something like a 15% to 20% range hit on the Lightning.

OP
OP

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm not exclusively looking for a AT tire. Michelin Defenders got the job done on my last ICE F150. My part of NC doesn't see much snow. I think we only got flurries one morning last year all winter. And I work from home so if it does snow, usually if I wait 6 hours its all melted by the afternoon anyways.
The Michelin Defenders are a 4-6 week backorder at every placed I called today. I'll keep doing my research but will probably wait for them to come in stock next month.

Peddyr

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat SR
If you go with the Defenders, let us know what you think. That's what I'm thinking of replacing the Generals with.
I'm likely going with the Defenders as well in the next few months. I have the Hankook and I'm at 24k miles, but I want to replace them before the snow starts flying here in New England.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I just crossed 30k miles and my rear tires are about done. They were originally on the fronts and I waited to late to rotate them to the back. I have the Hankook Dynopro AT2s that came stock on the Lariat 20 inch rims. I am actually thinking about going with the other stock option which is the General Grabber HTS 60 thinking I may pick up some range. The Hankooks are 41lbs and the Generals are 34lbs. Both my local ford dealers had no clue on EV specific truck tires and wanted to quote me on more aggressive truck tires that they put on ICE F150s. But most of those weight in the upper to mid 40lb range. So, what's everyone's opinion on tires to replace worn our stockers with? I want something that performs well, I do see my fair share of tractor paths around the farmland around here but nothing to crazy. I may do some beach sand driving once or twice a year. But I need the range to actually get to the beach first. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Mike....if you're a COSTCO member, I will look at the Bridgestone or Michelin tires for EVs.
They are better than what is now on your Lightning.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Mike....if you're a COSTCO member, I will look at the Bridgestone or Michelin tires for EVs.
They are better than what is now on your Lightning.
Will Costco install them? I've heard stories that the tire has to match the specs on the door jamb sticker or they won't install them. 20" stock Lightning tires have a 116 load raring, and the tires sold on the Costco site are only 115.

Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? Screenshot_20230912_145915_Chrome

Ford F-150 Lightning Almost time for new tires, what are you planning on getting after the stock tires wear out? Screenshot_20230912_150128_Chrome

OP
OP

NCMike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Will Costco install them? I've heard stories that the tire has to match the specs on the door jamb sticker or they won't install them. 20" stock Lightning tires have a 116 load raring, and the tires sold on the Costco site are only 115.

I think I am ok on that front. The stock Hancoock ATs are a 115T load rating. If you remember, selecting the AT version when ordering back in 2022 also reduced your GVWR of the truck which I assume was because of the ratings of the tire. I was also going to get an alignment done at the same time which I am not sure Costco will do. From their website it looks like I can get them next week which is better than the local ford dealerships.

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic

Screenshot_20230912_145915_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20230912_150128_Chrome.jpg
Shouldn't be a problem. Never heard of COSTCO refusing to installing tires that are specified for the type of vehicle. Double check with them also to ease your mind.
Make sure you mention to them that is a Lightning and they aware how to lift the vehicle. Make sure they know or damage to your battery pack is inevitable. You only going to get new shoes not damage to your vehicle.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Shouldn't be a problem. Never heard of COSTCO refusing to installing tires that are specified for the type of vehicle. Double check with them also to ease your mind.
Make sure you mention to them that is a Lightning and they aware how to lift the vehicle. Make sure they know or damage to your battery pack is inevitable. You only going to get new shoes not damage to your vehicle.
There are reports on the Mach-E forums of Costco refusing to install tires because they don't meet the requirements of the door jamb sticker. That's why I'm asking.

jerock

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I've heard the same on Costco, that they are very particular on tires matching the requirements listed for the vehicle.
Sponsored