Sponsored

9.6kw ProPower - different battery pack?

rthorderson

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT ER 312A SprayBed Red
Occupation
IT Director
I can't seem to get a confident answer anywhere. I think everyone assumes the 9.6kw ProPower is using the motor's batteries...or is it actually a different battery pack? In other words, when you use the outlets, do you see the vehicle range drop?
Sponsored

Whammy Bar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1971 F100 + 2022⚡Lariat ER
Occupation
Electrician
Yes, pro power uses the main pack. Yes, it will affect range, depending on how much power you use. It does not impact the low voltage 12v battery at all.

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
Keep in mind that assuming you really could figure out how to pull 9.6 kw out of the battery pack, you would be decreasing the range by less than 8% an hour. Assuming you have a ER truck. I personally think that people planning heavy propower use, should get an ER truck. Of course, the Pro trim line, aimed at real working users, cannot be ordered that way.....

I anticipate real use on the farm where my ER XLT is headed. It will be nice to hear some real life stories. Some of the first reports are not perfect.

Bear in mind that the 240v output is really just 7.2 kw. and then the 120v outlets account for the other 2.4 kw. You are not going to figure out how to pull a continuous 9.6 kw. Period. Might get there, or over even once in a while, but not constantly and uninterupted.

What my brother and I are eagerly looking to find out is the inverters overload capacity. A 5 HP 240v motor draws about 28A running. BUT, a ton more when it starts. If the ProPower inverter has no surge capacity, it will be much less capable. We shall see....... Several mobile motors scattered around the farm require use of a nasty sized 240v extension cord, or are just not useable in some instances. If the truck can power those motors for say 30 min, it would be super slick.....

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Keep in mind that assuming you really could figure out how to pull 9.6 kw out of the battery pack, you would be decreasing the range by less than 8% an hour. Assuming you have a ER truck. I personally think that people planning heavy propower use, should get an ER truck. Of course, the Pro trim line, aimed at real working users, cannot be ordered that way.....

I anticipate real use on the farm where my ER XLT is headed. It will be nice to hear some real life stories. Some of the first reports are not perfect.

Bear in mind that the 240v output is really just 7.2 kw. and then the 120v outlets account for the other 2.4 kw. You are not going to figure out how to pull a continuous 9.6 kw. Period. Might get there, or over even once in a while, but not constantly and uninterupted.

What my brother and I are eagerly looking to find out is the inverters overload capacity. A 5 HP 240v motor draws about 28A running. BUT, a ton more when it starts. If the ProPower inverter has no surge capacity, it will be much less capable. We shall see....... Several mobile motors scattered around the farm require use of a nasty sized 240v extension cord, or are just not useable in some instances. If the truck can power those motors for say 30 min, it would be super slick.....
I’m pretty sure all of the bed outlets regardless of voltage are from the 7.2 KW inverter. The frunk and cab (120V only) are powered by the 2.4 KW.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
looking to find out is the inverters overload capacity. A 5 HP 240v motor draws about 28A running. BUT, a ton more when it starts. If the ProPower inverter has no surge capacity, it will be much less capable.
I wonder if a soft start contactor would keep the surge down to not overload the Pro Power? I suspect it has zero headroom beyond the 7.2kW. Maybe this Chinese thing from Amazon (I had google translate the image):
Single-Phase-controller2KW4KW6KW8KW
Ford F-150 Lightning 9.6kw ProPower - different battery pack? 231009 chinese soft start need translate Screenshot 2023-10-09 214918

Another ICE Ford forum thinks there is a 2 second 130% surge rating:
powerboost-7-2kw-surge-capacity

Last edited:

Sponsored

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician

I use my lightning for work, We run a concrete mixer along with other various equipment all the time.running the mixer for 6 hours dropped the range by 2 miles. It's the best work truck I have had. It's very capable off road. We have hauled a 8000 lb trailer thru some pretty deep mud and over some slippery back roads.

Ford F-150 Lightning 9.6kw ProPower - different battery pack? 20230821_134514

Ford F-150 Lightning 9.6kw ProPower - different battery pack? 20230824_120426

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
I use my lightning for work, We run a concrete mixer along with other various equipment all the time.running the mixer for 6 hours dropped the range by 2 miles. It's the best work truck I have had. It's very capable off road. We have hauled a 8000 lb trailer thru some pretty deep mud and over some slippery back roads.

20230821_134514.jpg

20230824_120426.jpg

You guys haven't made the switch to ground screws?

Concrete sonotubes are caveman tech now-a-days.

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro ER

Recently had a transfer switch installed at my house. My electrician and I were trying to figure out what we could and couldn't wire through the transfer switch. We tried the AC...and it ran for about 1.5 seconds before tripping the breaker on the truck. lol This was honestly what we expected though due to the initial current spike on start up. Oh well, that would have been a "very nice to have", not a critical circuit. Maybe a soft start would work, but I didn't want to spend the extra time and money in trying that out.

Side note - shoutout to @capt_ramius for his excellent post on the subject as well as my one-on-one questions I asked him.

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
You guys haven't made the switch to ground screws?

Concrete sonotubes are caveman tech now-a-days.
We do ground screws but this customer wanted concrete. We also build solar trailers with batteries , generators and what ever else somebody needs. But I am very happy with my lightning.

OP
OP
rthorderson

rthorderson

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning XLT ER 312A SprayBed Red
Occupation
IT Director
SUPER HELPFUL INFO ALL! Thank you for handling my question...

Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Recently had a transfer switch installed at my house. My electrician and I were trying to figure out what we could and couldn't wire through the transfer switch. We tried the AC...and it ran for about 1.5 seconds before tripping the breaker on the truck. lol This was honestly what we expected though due to the initial current spike on start up. Oh well, that would have been a "very nice to have", not a critical circuit. Maybe a soft start would work, but I didn't want to spend the extra time and money in trying that out.

Side note - shoutout to @capt_ramius for his excellent post on the subject as well as my one-on-one questions I asked him.
If the compressor ran for 1.5 seconds, it likely wasn’t tripping because of the starting surge - it wouldn’t have gotten that far. Probably due to the pressure starting to build.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
Getting farther from the OP's initial question of where does the power come from (HV battery) and how much range loss (up to 9kW per hour from 98kW-hr or 131kW-hr battery), with the discussion of power surge, our small 1200 sq. ft. house Bryant variable speed air conditioner shows minimum circuit Amps at 31A, but never gets over 10A max'd out and no surge detected. Highly recommend going variable speed. Fairly quiet as well. However, we cannot keep the 50A spa circuit on when backfeeding the house from the truck!
Ford F-150 Lightning 9.6kw ProPower - different battery pack? IMG_3415 bryant air conditioner sn3015e30524 prod189bnv037000faaa model189bnv037-a min circuit...JPG

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning

Just a heads up on the soft start, while set up powering my house with HIS I put a soft start on my airconditioner...a must have down in south Florida... no problem with the air conditioner or the whole house for that matter.. only had to leave off 2 things, pool pump and the oven...

BhamDCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro ER
Just a heads up on the soft start, while set up powering my house with HIS I put a soft start on my airconditioner...a must have down in south Florida... no problem with the air conditioner or the whole house for that matter.. only had to leave off 2 things, pool pump and the oven...
Perhaps I should have clarified that I did not actually time it. Maybe it was less than a second? Either way, when it tried starting you could tell it was severely underpowered before it cut off. Didn’t sound normal at all.

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
Perhaps I should have clarified that I did not actually time it. Maybe it was less than a second? Either way, when it tried starting you could tell it was severely underpowered before it cut off. Didn’t sound normal at all.
That would be right without a soft start. Too much load... Soft start solves the problem and what it is designed for.. When I had my sunrun electricians measure the amperage on the air-conditioned during start up they commented that it was the lowest measurement they had seen, wish I had written down the measurement bit was in the neighborhood of my fridge ..
Sponsored