• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Warranty Thoughts

Crullbri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Semi Retired, Part time Handyman
I just bought a Used 2023 Lightning with 1000 miles on it. The dealership pushed buying an extended warranty pretty hard. I have owned it 2 days and am going to cancel it as it is outrages $. Almost $6000 for 10 year 100k miles. Do you guys think i need a warranty? If so, what company do you recommend? My understanding is factory is bumper to bumper 3yr 36000 miles, batteries 8 yrs. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Brian
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I just bought a Used 2023 Lightning with 1000 miles on it. The dealership pushed buying an extended warranty pretty hard. I have owned it 2 days and am going to cancel it as it is outrages $. Almost $6000 for 10 year 100k miles. Do you guys think i need a warranty? If so, what company do you recommend? My understanding is factory is bumper to bumper 3yr 36000 miles, batteries 8 yrs. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. thanks, Brian
If you can cancel, I would. Then buy it from Granger, I picked up the 10yr 150k and it was around $4500. It's a first gen vehicle and I want the peace of mind.

OP
OP

Crullbri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Semi Retired, Part time Handyman
Thank you.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
There is no reason to buy the extended Ford warranty until you get close to 36 months / 36,000 miles. It's barely more expensive then.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Yeah, I bought the 8yr/100K mile warranty from Granger, along with the truck itself. It was only $1500 at the time to add that warranty. Total no-brainer, IMO. Granger has a warranty pricing tool on their site so you can see what it will cost.

https://grangerfordextendedwarranty.com

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'll admit I have no experience with extended warranties, though I did get one through the dealership that cost me about $4k. Has anyone had to deal with Granger to get repairs done in the past? How was your experience?
Granger sells a FORD extended warranty. After you buy it from Granger, you never deal with them again. Ziegler, Flood, and other dealers also sell online.

$4k is probably twice the price if not more.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Granger sells a FORD extended warranty. After you buy it from Granger, you never deal with them again. Ziegler, Flood, and other dealers also sell online.

$4k is probably twice the price if not more.
Depends on the level and length of time. Here's what I looked at, decided I didn't want to pay anything for warranty so I chose $0 deductible. Probably a waste, but I like the peace of mind.
Ford F-150 Lightning Warranty Thoughts 1699375062461

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I don't see the point. All of the EV components (battery, power converters, motors, controllers, etc.) are covered by the 8 yr / 100k mile factory warranty. Everything else is only the 3 yr. / 36k mile bumper to bumper, but that is all basically F150 standard parts. The infotainment screen would really be the only thing to worry about.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
For Ford's EVs, you need the PremiumCare option. They have a new EV warranty product, but it is just handled as PremiumCare in their system and the same pricing tier.

swajames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
Occupation
Technology and software development
You can and should explore cancelation, refund and repurchase elsewhere. You will save a lot.

There is no reason to buy the extended Ford warranty until you get close to 36 months / 36,000 miles. It's barely more expensive then.
Well maybe, maybe not. The one thing of which we can be most certain is that these warranties are going to cost more in future than they cost today, no matter where you buy. The current prices are already more than they were last year (retail and Flood/Grainger). We also don't know for how long the likes of Flood or Grainger are going to want to stay in the business of low margin reselling, whether Ford can or will clamp down on low margin reselling, or myriad other things.

Sponsored

Tfarrell73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23Lightning Lariat ER in production, 17 GMC Sierra
I don't see the point. All of the EV components (battery, power converters, motors, controllers, etc.) are covered by the 8 yr / 100k mile factory warranty. Everything else is only the 3 yr. / 36k mile bumper to bumper, but that is all basically F150 standard parts. The infotainment screen would really be the only thing to worry about.
I've been looking for documentation about what's exactly covered under battery vs powertrain warranty. Have seen anything. Can you point me to any?

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've been looking for documentation about what's exactly covered under battery vs powertrain warranty. Have seen anything. Can you point me to any?
Page 17 of this pdf:

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_04_2019.pdf

Depending on your vehicle, electrical drivetrain system components covered by this warranty may include, and are not limited to: high-voltage battery, high-voltage battery connector, high-voltage battery isolation switch (manual disconnect switch), battery pack fan assembly, battery pack sensor module (HBPSM), battery energy control module (BECM), on-board charger, on-board charger fan assembly, inverter system controller (ISC), DC/DC converter, hybrid continuously variable transmission or electric driveline motor and transmission range sensor

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
Buying from the dealer is indeed pointless. However, even standard F150 parts (plus labor) are getting pretty expensive. So if someone wants a peace of mind, premium care cost may be worth it. It isn't worth it, if you plan to keep the truck for 3-4 years

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
If you go with an extended warranty from Ford, it will start on the date your normal warranty started. I mention that because I bought a new, untitled 22 Lariat this year that had 3k miles on it. The warranty started last year, so my Granger bought extended warranty for 8 years is actually 7 since a year is already gone.
Sponsored