Sponsored

Sunroof interior shield/concertina blinds

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning Lariat ER, 22 Model 3 LR, 16 Stang GT
What a heck of a name. Anyone else have these pop out? I rarely slide the black shade back to see the sunroof but when I do the sides immediately pop out. I shove them back in and they stay there for the rest of the trip/day. However, after a couple weeks then I try again they pop out again.

in case I confused y’all, the rubber flappy things pop out when I roll the black shade back. It’s the piece closest to the sunscreen. It slides back onto the rail when I push it in.

No leaks though, since these don’t seem to be related to the actual sealing of the sunscreen.

Edit: attached another pic of passenger side so u can see the rail.

Ford F-150 Lightning Sunroof interior shield/concertina blinds IMG_2623

Ford F-150 Lightning Sunroof interior shield/concertina blinds IMG_2624
Sponsored

cdherman

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4 Prime, 2016 Leaf
I think you need to use the button to retract the shade. Its really a electronically controlled shade. Not manual. At least in my experience with a 23 Lariat.

Also loud as hell in a rainstorm.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
This evening I was watching a YT video by one of my favorite PSD technicians, he calls them "Bat Wings".

I've had mine untuck once on the drivers side, so far they remain in position, but I rarely use my sunroof neither vent or slide back mode.

OP
OP
MichaelCA

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think you need to use the button to retract the shade. Its really a electronically controlled shade. Not manual. At least in my experience with a 23 Lariat.

Also loud as hell in a rainstorm.
Yes I use the buttons. I didn’t mean to sound like I slide them physically.

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
Yes, this happened to me for the first time just a few days ago. I was able to reattach, and been fine since.

Sponsored

ackatack

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
Yes, my driver’s side concertina blind popped off a few months ago and wouldn’t firmly reattach. I took it into the dealership and had it replaced under warranty. The service advisor and mechanic both said it happens a lot more than they would like to admit on all models with sunroofs. They said the concertina blind has single use, internal metal clasps that get bent out of shape upon installation.

OP
OP
MichaelCA

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, my driver’s side concertina blind popped off a few months ago and wouldn’t firmly reattach. I took it into the dealership and had it replaced under warranty. The service advisor and mechanic both said it happens a lot more than they would like to admit on all models with sunroofs. They said the concertina blind has single use, internal metal clasps that get bent out of shape upon installation.
So yours wouldn’t go back on properly or does it go back on but pops out like mine. I may need to take this to the dealer. Both sides!

I kept the shade winded back so I know when the concertina decides to pop out again. My assumption is the heat pops it off. So since it’s cold now it may just stay on for a long while.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
My assumption is the heat pops it off.
Had mine all summer in greater than 110F, never popped once. I use it all the time. I open it in the morning commute, vent while parked, closed for afternoon commute. Now that temps are better, it gets opened again for the afternoon commute. I love it, have had no problems thus far. Maybe I got lucky and nothing was bent out of shape when it was installed?

ackatack

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F-150 Lightning Lariat
I could pop it back on but it would pop off again. It would stay on for a couple of uses of the shade. This was in the summer so I was opening and closing the shade a couple of times a day. I was concerned that the concertina blind would damage the shade so I got the warranty repair appointment within a day or two of it initially popping off.

OP
OP
MichaelCA

MichaelCA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I could pop it back on but it would pop off again. It would stay on for a couple of uses of the shade. This was in the summer so I was opening and closing the shade a couple of times a day. I was concerned that the concertina blind would damage the shade so I got the warranty repair appointment within a day or two of it initially popping off.
Same as me but I use the shade like once or twice in a couple months. It pops off when opening the shade.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Yes my drivers side popped loose and fell to the floor. It has done this twice since January. I put it back in myself.
I rarely open the blackout shade and when I have, this piece has fallen out when sunroof opens. Terrible design.
Sponsored