• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power-Up 4.2.1.1 - Some Good Stuff Here

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
PS
How do you power cycle the truck?
Simply turn it off, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. For good measure, I usually open a door to fully shut off the screen.

Most are behind the scene's updates. A few actually give us a benefit, like adding the current SOC to the trip screen. I don't remember which one did what. The only bugs I've encountered (aside from the weird one off warnings I mentioned above) are losing radio presets and it forgetting that I have a charge limit at my house. Otherwise, no problems.

EDIT: I've only received non 6.X updates...still waiting on those
Sponsored

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Simply turn it off, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. For good measure, I usually open a door to fully shut off the screen.

Most are behind the scene's updates. A few actually give us a benefit, like adding the current SOC to the trip screen. I don't remember which one did what. The only bugs I've encountered (aside from the weird one off warnings I mentioned above) are losing radio presets and it forgetting that I have a charge limit at my house. Otherwise, no problems.

EDIT: I've only received non 6.X updates...still waiting on those
Should be atleast 2 minutes shut off. The contacts for the motors cycle at around 1:45.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
Should be atleast 2 minutes shut off. The contacts for the motors cycle at around 1:45.
Huh, I've always operated on the assumption that just the software portion needed to reboot. Never considered that other hardware components would need some time.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Seeing as trucks with similar build dates are getting their first OTA, how do the OTA gods send them out? I know its in batches, but does everyone with around the same VIN grouping get them the same day or is it spread out throughout a couple of days? Getting nervous here about OTA's as my job 1 2021 ICE F-150 had the APIM blacklisted and never was blessed by the OTA gods.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Huh, I've always operated on the assumption that just the software portion needed to reboot. Never considered that other hardware components would need some time.
For certain situations yes. Yesterday all the speakers on the left and the amp never initialized when I started the truck. Audio was only coming out of the right side. A quick off and on solved it. However, anything related to reduced power, such as the random 56% to the rears only, requires a longer reboot. It seems like the relays for the motors work on a time delay and at around 1m45s, they cycle.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Seeing as trucks with similar build dates are getting their first OTA, how do the OTA gods send them out? I know its in batches, but does everyone with around the same VIN grouping get them the same day or is it spread out throughout a couple of days?
Nobody has a handle on the how, when & why of this process.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So my build date (door jamb info) says 8/23. Was crossing my fingers that I would have another one this morning but I did not. Does anyone know what the 4.2.1.1 update does exactly. I was wondering if its just priming us to get updates in general.
There are specific SW threads for most every release. A quick search and reading a page or two of them should have some description of what is in the release and any unusual symptoms of what the truck does afterward - like reduced power.

Even though a year or so is passed, I think it would be good that each of you should post your updates in those specific SW threads. it will keep the documentation together for future owners and leave a trail of how long you had the truck before it started getting updates.

Balke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
There are specific SW threads for most every release. A quick search and reading a page or two of them should have some description of what is in the release and any unusual symptoms of what the truck does afterward - like reduced power.

Even though a year or so is passed, I think it would be good that each of you should post your updates in those specific SW threads. it will keep the documentation together for future owners and leave a trail of how long you had the truck before it started getting updates.
Newb here... do you have link that you can share. I did many google searches for 4.2.1.1 and could not find what the update does. I did find a site that was tracking them and has 4.2.1 sans the .1

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Reactions: GDN

Balke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat

Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
:) thanks. Thats 4.2.1 not 4.2.1.1 which is what I was asking about and I am pretty sure this is the only thread that references it so thought would be a good spot to ask for posterity.
Oops, sorry, didn't notice the extra .1. I've didn't realize they were doing that. Maybe it's just an updated version of 4.2.1 (I got 4.2.1 back in Feb 2023). Both 4.2.1 and 4.2.1.1 messages are similarly vague :).

Balke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Oops, sorry, didn't notice the extra .1. I've didn't realize they were doing that. Maybe it's just an updated version of 4.2.1 (I got 4.2.1 back in Feb 2023). Both 4.2.1 and 4.2.1.1 messages are similarly vague :).
No worries. I thought my amazing searching skills were failing me :). I did find something that has probably been shared elsewhere but has some helpful descriptions of updates for mach e and lightning. Still does not have 4.2.1.1 on there but it has to be pretty darn close to 4.2.1

https://github.com/elmedico27/fordpowerup

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Thanks @bmwhitetx for jumping on that. So there are very few of those releases that have 3 decimals in them - most only had 2 - like 4.2.1 vs 4.2.1.1.

It was determined that those releases like 4.2.1.1 were for the early '23 models and 4.2.1 was for the '22's. No one really knows why but Ford was separating them and numbering them differently in early 2023. So likely they are the same release.

There has been a lot transpire in 2 years with these releases and the history. Searching by a keyword from the title or just going to the SW/Sync sub forum and looking through the threads will find the appropriate SW thread. There is truly a thread for almost every release.

I have a handy tracker for you - this is mine - my tracking. You'll see I even had added these longer release numbers at the bottom and noted my truck - a '22 Lariat ER didn't get them (and no other '22 did either), but some early '23's did.

Enjoy the history:

Ford F-150 Lightning Power-Up 4.2.1.1 - Some Good Stuff Here 1707514311277

Balke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat
Thanks @bmwhitetx for jumping on that. So there are very few of those releases that have 3 decimals in them - most only had 2 - like 4.2.1 vs 4.2.1.1.

It was determined that those releases like 4.2.1.1 were for the early '23 models and 4.2.1 was for the '22's. No one really knows why but Ford was separating them and numbering them differently in early 2023. So likely they are the same release.

There has been a lot transpire in 2 years with these releases and the history. Searching by a keyword from the title or just going to the SW/Sync sub forum and looking through the threads will find the appropriate SW thread. There is truly a thread for almost every release.

I have a handy tracker for you - this is mine - my tracking. You'll see I even had added these longer release numbers at the bottom and noted my truck - a '22 Lariat ER didn't get them (and no other '22 did either), but some early '23's did.

Enjoy the history:

1707514311277.png
Interesting info, thanks. Seems like a bunch of people on this thread have a late MY23 including me and it is the first update they received. Am I wrong that this is the only thread talking about 4.2.1.1? I appreciate the help. Its worth checking out that github link above, it has much more detail than the history you attached.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Adjusting the thread title to follow the convention previously used.

We had older threads like 4.2.1 & 4.2.1.2
Sponsored