A2Z adapter experience w/o Firmware update

Asy99

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
1st try earlier tonight i had no luck due to Tesla app having no connectivity. I’ve used the app for years for my solar panels (yes same app) but never used for charging. I guess once in a while there are issues with no connectivity.

Got home and after uninstalling and reinstalling app it now worked on cellular network and not just Wi-Fi like before.

2nd attempt i plugged the A2Z adapter to tesla cable and plugged in. Since my truck doesn’t have the update yet for automatic blue oval charging, i figured it would fail. It did but i noticed it would do the red ring of death but then would try again. It did this for a few times while i updated personal info on the Tesla app. I thought everything was up to date but they wanted me to fill out my address again even though they had it within the app. As soon as i did that, i was able to select the Charger number i was using and BAM! blue light flashing.

I was not aware of charge rate but it turns out, the one by my house is not super popular after hours so it has different rates throughout the day and night. After 10pm it was only .28 cents per KW. Peak hours is .48 per KW.

I was already around 70% so i only charged to 80% at .28 cents! It first hovered around 115 kw then dropped to around 50kw when it reached 80% state of charge.

Once i got the whole no connection thing fixed, it was not a bad experience at all. Way better than some of the nightmare ones i had with EA.

Coincidentally, my EA app stopped working during my last trip. EA couldn’t figure it out on their end. They opened a ticket but i still haven’t heard back (3 weeks ago). I did eventually charge using the Apple Pay on my phone but for some reason they did not give me my member pricing. I had to call them after my trip to get the difference on all the charges during my trip. So glad i can now use tesla charging and have them as back up.

hope i covered everything.

Ford F-150 Lightning A2Z adapter experience w/o Firmware update IMG_4807
Sponsored

Last edited:

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I look forward to having my adapter for when I want the speed and convenience of using the Tesla network.

However, current price in Canada is $0.82/kwh CAD or, at today's poor exchange rate, $0.60/kwh USD.

Luckily I'm not a heavy dcfc user but I am happy to have the options.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired Pilot
1st try earlier tonight i had no luck due to Tesla app having no connectivity. I’ve used the app for years for my solar panels (yes same app) but never used for charging. I guess once in a while there are issues with no connectivity.

Got home and after uninstalling and reinstalling app it now worked on cellular network and not just Wi-Fi like before.

2nd attempt i plugged the A2Z adapter to tesla cable and plugged in. Since my truck doesn’t have the update yet for automatic blue oval charging, i figured it would fail. It did but i noticed it would do the red ring of death but then would try again. It did this for a few times while i updated personal info on the Tesla app. I thought everything was up to date but they wanted me to fill out my address again even though they had it within the app. As soon as i did that, i was able to select the Charger number i was using and BAM! blue light flashing.

I was not aware of charge rate but it turns out, the one by my house is not super popular after hours so it has different rates throughout the day and night. After 10pm it was only .28 cents per KW. Peak hours is .48 per KW.

I was already around 70% so i only charged to 80% at .28 cents! It first hovered around 115 kw then dropped to around 50kw when it reached 80% state of charge.

Once i got the whole no connection thing fixed, it was not a bad experience at all. Way better than some of the nightmare ones i had with EA.

Coincidentally, my EA app stopped working during my last trip. EA couldn’t figure it out on their end. They opened a ticket but i still haven’t heard back (3 weeks ago). I did eventually charge using the Apple Pay on my phone but for some reason they did not give me my member pricing. I had to call them after my trip to get the difference on all the charges during my trip. So glad i can now use tesla charging and have them as back up.

hope i covered everything.

IMG_4807.png
okay, so wait, did you have to go to the Tesla App and it worked? I have the Tesla app and my account is all set up with my credit card. Are you saying all I need to do is to go to the Tesla app to get it to function? I guess Ford's plug and charge did not work?

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
okay, so wait, did you have to go to the Tesla App and it worked? I have the Tesla app and my account is all set up with my credit card. Are you saying all I need to do is to go to the Tesla app to get it to function? I guess Ford's plug and charge did not work?
I think P&C works if you have received this update. But @Asy99 stated they had not received that update.

Reactions: dww
OP
OP

Asy99

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
okay, so wait, did you have to go to the Tesla App and it worked? I have the Tesla app and my account is all set up with my credit card. Are you saying all I need to do is to go to the Tesla app to get it to function? I guess Ford's plug and charge did not
I think P&C works if you have received this update. But @Asy99 stated they had not received that update.
I don’t have the firmware update on my truck yet for the auto plug and charge to function. There is a workaround where you can activate charge through the screen on the truck. Others already verified this works.

I wanted to see if it worked with the tesla app since i could get tesla’s member pricing. Initially it didn’t work with the tesla app because there is a bug where sometimes it doesn’t connect to the internet. Once i heard about this, i was able to get it to work by uninstalling and re-installing the app. After that, it was a matter of just plugging in, selecting charger # on the app. I thought i had everything filled out on the app but i needed one last step of adding my ‘billing address’. That was the only hiccup (other than the internet thing).

Sponsored
OP
OP

Asy99

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Correct. I also wanted to test out the tesla app since that will be the only way to get Tesla’s member pricing from what i hear. Just like with EA where member pricing only works with their app and not with blue oval auto charge. They really need to fix that for both EA and now Tesla.

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
I don’t have the firmware update on my truck yet for the auto plug and charge to function. There is a workaround where you can activate charge through the screen on the truck. Others already verified this works.

I wanted to see if it worked with the tesla app since i could get tesla’s member pricing. Initially it didn’t work with the tesla app because there is a bug where sometimes it doesn’t connect to the internet. Once i heard about this, i was able to get it to work by uninstalling and re-installing the app. After that, it was a matter of just plugging in, selecting charger # on the app. I thought i had everything filled out on the app but i needed one last step of adding my ‘billing address’. That was the only hiccup (other than the internet thing).
yup I just found how to add the Lightning, so once we add the truck all we do go to "Charge Your EV" then Find a Charger and just plug and charge?

1Jetpilot

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired Pilot
Yes. ‘Charge your other EV”
so much for having to wait for the OTA to enable us to charge at the Superchargers....we just use the more reliable Tesla app

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Glad to hear it worked. I’m going to try my A2Z soon but haven’t had the chance. I see that the plug and charge update for my truck is pending for tonight. I’ll probably try both ways though i doubt i’d pay the 12.99/mo unless i knew i was going on a roadtrip. Looks like it takes about 100kWh to break even. I’ve rarely hit that threshold in 19 months of ownership.
Sponsored