Sponsored

Lane keeping and bluecruise absurdly annoying. Can’t drive with it.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Everything I've seen regarding 1.4 is that if you even barely like 1.0, you'll be ecstatic.
If you aren't impressed with 1.0, you'll likely give Ford a nod of respect.

Of course none of that is actually addressing the complaint of this thread. The eye scanning witch isn't Bluecruise. She's just hall monitor hired to be nosey while you clap to Queen?
Sponsored

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
I've uses BC for a few thousand miles andove it (never thought I would) I did learn that it nags you more often the more often you aren't paying attention... so if I get nagged I really pay attention for 5 minutes or more and then I find it tends to let me slack off a little more ie. I can read the screen a little longer, look at the moon out the side window at night a little longer etc... and in even though it does well with sunglasses, it's better without or the cheap amber non polarized type...

roddiaz1

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER Carbonized Grey
Tug it just a little when the warning pops up.
Correct. That is what I end up having to do, but I'd rather not, as it adds no value since my hands are actually on the wheel. It's annoying to have to do the tugs, plus I feel like that incurs an additional slight tire wear. It's my hang up, I know. I'm just venting here.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
There's just no sensor available to confirm your hands are on the wheel. The nag has no choice.

If you get really soft handed, you can adjust to the smallest of inputs to satisfy the torque sensor. Certainly small enough for your tires to be completely unaware.

ChrisCon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Carbonized Grey Lightning Lariat ER
So I’m over 50,000 miles with my truck and I’d guess at least half of them are full hands free blue cruise .

hands free - Absolutely love . I wear polarized sunglasses like a uniform and with them on the eye tracking seems very forgiving . The look away alerts to me are fair . It alerts me when I’ve looked away too long . I wouldn’t buy a vehicle without it ever again . Game changer .the best !

hands on - sucks . Tugging the wheel every few seconds sucks . I hate it . I tug too hard and turn off blue cruise . If it had a no tug system like active sensors that could check my heart rate to see human hands were touching it then I’d love that too, but the tugging sucks . I don’t use it. The worst !

Sponsored

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
So I’m over 50,000 miles with my truck and I’d guess at least half of them are full hands free blue cruise .

hands free - Absolutely love . I wear polarized sunglasses like a uniform and with them on the eye tracking seems very forgiving . The look away alerts to me are fair . It alerts me when I’ve looked away too long . I wouldn’t buy a vehicle without it ever again . Game changer .the best !

hands on - sucks . Tugging the wheel every few seconds sucks . I hate it . I tug too hard and turn off blue cruise . If it had a no tug system like active sensors that could check my heart rate to see human hands were touching it then I’d love that too, but the tugging sucks . I don’t use it. The worst !
It's taken me 6 months, but I've found my left hand resting on the cross-piece of the steering wheel (like, really leaving the weight of it on there) seems to be the perfect amount of pressure to satisfy some torque input without being enough to overcome lane-keeping.

The other advantage to this is mine seems right-side-of-the-lane biased, so this makes it easy to nudge to the left when needed.

A capacitive wheel would sure be better, but I feel fortunate I've found a way to make this work pretty well.

Surfnturf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I find it unusable on my Lightning because it hugs the right side of the lane and freaks out people in the right lane. It can't seem to stay center.

Ekiehn

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning
It's taken me 6 months, but I've found my left hand resting on the cross-piece of the steering wheel (like, really leaving the weight of it on there) seems to be the perfect amount of pressure to satisfy some torque input without being enough to overcome lane-keeping.

The other advantage to this is mine seems right-side-of-the-lane biased, so this makes it easy to nudge to the left when needed.

A capacitive wheel would sure be better, but I feel fortunate I've found a way to make this work pretty well.
This absolutely works.. resting my hand on the cross piece, elbow on the arm rest, is perfect for going miles and miles without notification... on non BC highways it is great... I use it many mornings this way with numerous traffic lights along the way. The time I drive usually means green all the way to work and I may have to give it a little tug through the wider intersections but otherwise all is good..

KDF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
I took my first trip with my Lightning and both Lane Keeping and Bluecruise are so ******** sensitive. If I look at the windshield cockeyed the thing ******* yells at me. I will be staring straight and it yells at me for not looking straight. Kinda ruins the experience and want to just take it off and drive without getting yelled at by both my car and wife.

I’ve turned down driver sensitively in driver assistance setting. I want to take a video of this because of how bad it is. It probably alerts me at least 15 times an hour. Anyone have this experience and found any sort of solution? Def make me not want to renew bluecruise.
i feel the same!
i found out it is slightly less annoying when I wear sunglasses.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
By chance, do you hold the top of the steering wheel, like 11--12--1 o'clock positions?

Sometimes I do, often blocking the IR sensor located at the mid-dash to the left of the Sync screen, the old girl will begin nagging me within 5 seconds until I move the hands/arms lower down the arch of the steering wheel.

If not, then maybe your Lightning has an issue with the sensor.
I have found that my seating position, my glasses, the sun (Visors and sunroof) and steering wheel position all come to play a part in it. I have found a seating position and scenario where it permits me to look around a little bit and another scenario if I do anything other than stare ahead it will scream bloody murder.

My only real issue is when it starts yelling at me and I jiggle the wheel and try to tell it that I have control that it won’t stop yelling sometimes, the nag algorithm seems disconnected from the inputs and actions you are taking short of turning CC fully off then back on.

Sponsored

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat - Antimatter Blue. 2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited
I live in the Atlanta area, and say that on the major interstates (I-85, I-75, I-985, I-285, and SR 316) that Handsfree Bluecruise works passably well for a free or included with the purchase price of the truck service.

If a subscription service, not so much. It drops control when going around a significant curve, such as the Grady curve in ATL, where it wants you to resume control. This happens more frequently than it should. The other place it seems to drop is out of Handsfree is around an exit or place where the road widens into two lanes, such as where I-85 and I-985 diverge. It doesn't seem to matter if you are in the lane that has to make a choice or not; you could be in the completely isolated HOV lane and it will drop you. Pair those issues with the needing to manually change lanes (which might one day be fixed) and its not worth the price of admission.

That being said, using the Bluecruise feature in a non-handsfree zone is a major pain is the *ss. I constantly have to wiggle the steering wheel to reassure the truck that I'm paying attention. I guess my truck does a pretty good job keeping me centered in the lane, or at least I don't feel the need to correct it except when riding next to a semi. This leads to alerts to the point where I usually just turn off the lane keeping assist. At least there is a quick access button on the steering wheel.

I'll have to give the left hand gravity trick a shot, and see if it works for me.

I definitely won't pay for the handsfree subscription once my 3 year trials expires...especially if its going to cost several hundred dollars as reported. I might turn it on if it was no more expensive than a Netflix subscription if I knew I had a road trip planned, any more than that and I'm out.

62F1004x4

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1962 F100 2023 F150 Lightning SR
Occupation
Maintenance
The BC / regular CC needs more improvement. In addition to the points made earlier, the notifications are shocking to passengers which are alerted by warnings that also interrupt the music. This often is a non driver related item like the truck entering an intersection or loosing track of the white road line like in merge lanes.
I don’t like the classic deflection, you need to modify your behavior. This is a highly engineered vehicle and should be able to drive down the road without these frequent random alerts. We are in year eight of self driving technology and this is only level 1 out of 5. Ref SAEJ3016.

Stalemate

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Mustang, 2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Utility Electrician
Trying to figure out what the deal is with sunglasses and the "Watch the road" warning. Anytime the lane keeping is on (either with BC or just regular adaptive cruise), the truck won't let me wear my fake Pit Vipers :( Sounds like it isn't a problem for some of you so I guess I need to try different glasses?

OP
OP

Punk9721

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lariat ER
Trying to figure out what the deal is with sunglasses and the "Watch the road" warning. Anytime the lane keeping is on (either with BC or just regular adaptive cruise), the truck won't let me wear my fake Pit Vipers :( Sounds like it isn't a problem for some of you so I guess I need to try different glasses?
No it's not just you and your sun glasses.... mine as well. Literally I'm starting to hate driving with any cruise mode on as it is more annoying than convenient at this point. So frustrating..

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
I use Cacun over 👓 and they work without annoying the truck.
Sponsored