Sponsored

Squirrelly Steering Near Max Payload

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Pro, 2015 FIAT 500e
Anyone noticed when heavily loaded that the steering gets very squirrelly? It even has a bit of an oscillation as if pulling a poorly loaded trailer.

This happens when the bed is pretty evenly loaded, and today it was even a little more front loaded. A few of these cylinders were even in the cab.
Ford F-150 Lightning Squirrelly Steering Near Max Payload 20240511_212754

I wondered if it might be due to the more 50/50 normal weight distribution and when loaded I guess it'd be more like 35/65. Does that make the front "light" even though actually heavier than unloaded?

My best guess is that it's probably tires, with inflation on the low side of normal, lots of sidewall (17" wheels, iirc), and weak sidewalls.
Sponsored

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
It does make the rear more heavily loaded, compressing the rear suspension, extending the front suspension and unloading the front tires.

To solve it, you can move any cylinders behind the rear axle to over it or forward of it. Obviously you'll need to stop them from moving during transport.

Jseis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
July 2021 SR MME, July 2023, Lightning Lariat
Are those concrete cylinder cores? & what’s the loaded weight? Looks like a ton o’ fun.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
If that's concrete you are beyond max payload. This load of cider put me over max payload. And yes, when the front tires are lightly loaded relative to the rear it will be squirrelly. My Corvair is squirrelly by design.

Ford F-150 Lightning Squirrelly Steering Near Max Payload 1000003080

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Are those concrete cylinder cores? & what’s the loaded weight? Looks like a ton o’ fun.
If that's concrete you are beyond max payload. This load of cider put me over max payload. And yes, when the front tires are lightly loaded relative to the rear it will be squirrelly. My Corvair is squirrelly by design
A 6x12 concrete cylinder weighs 28.2lbs per Google. That truck is significantly overloaded. People need to do math before towing dangerously.

Sponsored

detansinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red F150 Lightning Lariat Extended Battery
This is nothing new. My 1970 F100 would do the same thing overloaded, especially with weight aft of the rear axle.

farmtruck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F350XLT, 2 x 12 F250XLT, 23 Lightning Lariet ER
Occupation
Farmer
My factory 4ply tires got swapped for 10plys two days after I took delivery so I could pull trailers.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
:cwl:
Deleted on my build, so the world may never know...
I conservatively counted 75. 75 x 28.2 = 2,115 pounds, plus the driver, figure 2,300 at least. Overloaded by maybe 600 or more pounds. When you have that accident, just remember the lawyers for the person you hit / injure are going to be taking that into account when they go for that big settlement because you're knowingly at fault.

Sponsored
OP
OP
USA EV

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I conservatively counted 75. 75 x 28.2 = 2,115 pounds, plus the driver, figure 2,300 at least. Overloaded by maybe 600 or more pounds. When you have that accident, just remember the lawyers for the person you hit / injure are going to be taking that into account when they go for that big settlement because you're knowingly at fault.
Ford F-150 Lightning Squirrelly Steering Near Max Payload payload

Ford F-150 Lightning Squirrelly Steering Near Max Payload footnote

I had this payload number in mind, and estimated less per cylinder.

Interesting point that Google would have an estimate for various shapes and sizes of concrete - I've looked up weights for bricks and things on Lowe's site, but it didn't occur to me that Google might have numbers for something more custom. I see now there are calculators for all shapes and sizes of concrete and I'll definitely make use of those in the future should the need arise.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I think you experience the magic carpet ride anytime you’re near Max payload in every truck I’ve ever driven.

OP
OP
USA EV

USA EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think you experience the magic carpet ride anytime you’re near Max payload in every truck I’ve ever driven.
That's a very good description of how it felt. :crackup: Good to know about other trucks, as it also occurred to me that it could have been the independent suspension, but since it's common then that is ruled out.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
payload.png

footnote.png

I had this payload number in mind, and estimated less per cylinder.

Interesting point that Google would have an estimate for various shapes and sizes of concrete - I've looked up weights for bricks and things on Lowe's site, but it didn't occur to me that Google might have numbers for something more custom. I see now there are calculators for all shapes and sizes of concrete and I'll definitely make use of those in the future should the need arise.
That is NOT your payload. Your payload is on the door sticker. It will be less than that number. The higher the trim, the lower the number. My Lariat is 1,686. Yours may be close to that number, but make sure you then subtract anything you added after delivery. If you got your bed sprayed, added a tonneau cover, some nice heavy floormats, and then of course - YOU. I have a 125lb bedcover, a rubber mat in the bed (it was sprayed at the factory), and rubber mats in the car. Easily 175lbs, so I'm down to 1,511 or so.