Ford Premium Connectivity

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT, 2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2021 Expedition
I am sorry if there is another thread about this, I tried to search for it and could not find anything. But I just got my truck a month ago and the Ford Premium Connectivity just expired. I am new to EVs and none of my other Fords have this. I have a XLT ER, what exactly is the Ford Premium Connectivity? Is there anything that I would be missing if I do not renew it? I am not sure if I even used it during the trial. I saw on a lightning group on Facebook this morning that it is just the access to YouTube and the games that the Lariats and Platinums get with the larger screen. Someone also mentioned that without it you loose the ability for the truck to precondition the battery on road trip when getting close to a charging stop. I do not travel much to have to use DCFC, but in the event that I do I want to make sure that the battery will precondition. Thanks for the help and info! Loving the truck so far!
Sponsored

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat
I see no value in it. If you use CarPlay or Android Auto you get all the music stuff. And if you hook up a MagicBox or something similar you basically make the screen a full fledged tablet. We don’t use Alexa so most of that integration is worthless to me. Also I can say for certain but it would be pretty obtuse of them to require Premium Connectivity for pre-conditioning. But I use CarPlay typically for Navigation and while the battery estimates are pretty good I am guess it’s not telling the truck to pre-condition unless I use the built in nav which is garbage. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Ford just needs to have their engineers drive a Tesla for a month to understand why people love them so much. Did not miss CarPlay at all when I had my Tesla but if the F-150 didn’t have CarPlay I’m not sure I would even buy it. The UI is atrocious and I don’t know why they just can’t dump some money into fixing it.

OP
OP
BabyDoc1012

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Thanks for the link, I tried looking on the Ford website and couldn’t find anything. I don’t need the premium services then. I either use XM or my iPhone for everything.
LOL, I literally just did a Google search for "ford premium connectivity" and it was the first result!

Sponsored
OP
OP
BabyDoc1012

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I see no value in it. If you use CarPlay or Android Auto you get all the music stuff. And if you hook up a MagicBox or something similar you basically make the screen a full fledged tablet. We don’t use Alexa so most of that integration is worthless to me. Also I can say for certain but it would be pretty obtuse of them to require Premium Connectivity for pre-conditioning. But I use CarPlay typically for Navigation and while the battery estimates are pretty good I am guess it’s not telling the truck to pre-condition unless I use the built in nav which is garbage. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Ford just needs to have their engineers drive a Tesla for a month to understand why people love them so much. Did not miss CarPlay at all when I had my Tesla but if the F-150 didn’t have CarPlay I’m not sure I would even buy it. The UI is atrocious and I don’t know why they just can’t dump some money into fixing it.
Thanks, I don’t use Alexa in my truck. My Sierra had it and I used it a few times as a party trick, but once that trial expired I didn’t renew it and never used it. I don’t mind the UI. When I do take long trips where I don’t know where I am going I use google maps anyway. I haven’t used built-in navigation in years. I really should try to drive a Tesla to see what the difference is with the UI

OP
OP
BabyDoc1012

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LOL, I literally just did a Google search for "ford premium connectivity" and it was the first result!
LOL, I tried that and it just took me to some random page that did not mention any of the details about what it does. Gotta love modern tech LOL

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
You really don't need this service, I subscribe to it during the winter since I'm in the truck a lot more sometimes, idling for periods of time watching videos, I found the player worked better on the streaming data service.

Now that summer is here I'm riding the Harley more, thanks for this thread and reminder to suspended my monthly subscription, on the rare occasion I want to watch it I'll use my phone/data plan.

Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Premium Connectivity 1717010669143-7
Ford F-150 Lightning Ford Premium Connectivity 1717010961424-db

OP
OP
BabyDoc1012

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You really don't need this service, I subscribe to it during the winter since I'm in the truck a lot more sometimes, idling for periods of time watching videos, I found the player worked better on the streaming data service.

Now that summer is here I'm riding the Harley more, thanks for this thread and reminder to suspended my monthly subscription, on the rare occasion I want to watch it I'll use my phone/data plan.

1717010669143-7g.png
Glad to help LOL. We have so much tech in these trucks we often forget LOL

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I trialed it for a month here in Canada because my YouTube disappeared but it turns out it wasn't related to that. I don't use Alexa and I found it annoying as it prompts for those "premium" services. I cancelled it 2 weeks in. The Canadian trucks had the other content cut due to what I assume are cancon or other regulatory reasons.

All in all I found the premium connectivity only somewhat useful and incredibly expensive for what I received.

Sponsored
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 F150 Lightning Lariat
Thanks, I don’t use Alexa in my truck. My Sierra had it and I used it a few times as a party trick, but once that trial expired I didn’t renew it and never used it. I don’t mind the UI. When I do take long trips where I don’t know where I am going I use google maps anyway. I haven’t used built-in navigation in years. I really should try to drive a Tesla to see what the difference is with the UI
I just randomly stumbled across this video on Reddit and thought I would share for you.

OP
OP
BabyDoc1012

BabyDoc1012

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just randomly stumbled across this video on Reddit and thought I would share for you.

That’s kinda cool. I would need to play with it person to get the full feel for it. I really don’t mind the UI in the lightning, then I again I’ve only had it for a month and so don’t know what I don’t know LOL

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
Let it expire or cancel it, you probably don't need it.

Ford Premium Connectivity
Add this available data plan* to bring your favorite streaming capabilities to your in-dash screen — video, music, audiobooks, podcasts and games.

One-year complimentary service of Ford Premium Connectivity begins on the New Vehicle Warranty start date.

How much do Ford Connected Services cost?

The cost of our Connected Services varies by service and by vehicle. For many of our services, we offer different durations to choose from as well, including monthly, yearly and multi-year options. Sign in to your Ford Account and visit the Connected Services tile for pricing specific to your vehicle.

Do Ford Connected Services auto renew?

Many of our Connected Services will auto renew for your convenience, unless you choose to change or cancel service. If a service does not auto renew, we’ll contact you in advance providing an opportunity for you to continue service before it ends.

††FordPass Connect (optional on select vehicles), the FordPass App, and Complimentary Connected Services are required for remote features (see FordPass Terms for details). Connected Services and features depend on compatible AT&T network availability. Evolving technology/cellular networks/vehicle capability may limit functionality and prevent operation of connected features. Connected services exclude Wi-Fi hotspot.

Just another way for Ford and AT&T to make money off Lightnings, since Ford likely won't be doing much service on them compared to ICE vehicles. A computer/smart phone with wheels.

Of course other vehicles and manufacturers are on the same money train these days...OMG, WTF!

See: https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/...arlong-review-update-5-subscription-services/

I had remote features on my 2012 Leaf - all free btw - but I never really used them. Of course, when AT&T eliminated the cell tech the Leaf used, I had to upgrade the hardware (TCU) for about $100, then they eliminated that tech (3G) as well and there is no catchup hardware.

Last edited:

Ishkatan

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER =RAe (Range Anxiety)
Occupation
Old
I also just got the connectivity software turned off via a software update on my Lariat. The update also disabled my auto headlight and grayed out a bunch of settings. I left Ford %$*#$ feedback about disabling non-connectivity settings but had to make a Home Depot run. Today the setting options are back to what they were, including the auto headlights and rain sensing wipers.

I dislike the functions that the "connectivity" package touts and I would certainly NOT pay $10/month for them as they are strictly entertainment stuff. Maybe I would like them if I lived at charging stations and had kids? I expect my android car play to continue working.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
I also just got the connectivity software turned off via a software update on my Lariat. The update also disabled my auto headlight and grayed out a bunch of settings. I left Ford %$*#$ feedback about disabling non-connectivity settings but had to make a Home Depot run. Today the setting options are back to what they were, including the auto headlights and rain sensing wipers.

I dislike the functions that the "connectivity" package touts and I would certainly NOT pay $10/month for them as they are strictly entertainment stuff. Maybe I would like them if I lived at charging stations and had kids? I expect my android car play to continue working.
The last batch of OTA's probably screwed up your settings, what this thread is all about shouldn't affect that functionality at all, Telematics and OTA's arrive via the primary TCU not this subscription service.
Sponsored