• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

safe to lock keys in the truck and use keypad for reentry?

samskeys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning XLT 2023 SR Equipment Group 311A
Technically I understand this to be possible but I'm curious if people think its relaible enough for the times when you don't want to bring your entire set of keys and keyfob with you. If you're exercising for instance or hopping in the ocean... If you're confident you know your code, it is safe and reliable to lock the keys in the car and use the keypad code for reentry?

Thanks!
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Yes. I do it regularly. The doors won't open if the key is inside and you use the keypad to lock it. You will need second key, or to key in your code. I think you still run a risk that if someone breaks into your car and finds your fob they will be able to drive your truck away, but it's not really different than if you locked old fashioned keys in with your keypad, also something I used to do regularly with my old ICE F150. Safe is relative. It's as locked as if your keys weren't in the car, but once inside it's much easier to drive away.

AmandaB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER - Red
I now do this 100% of the time and have had no issues. This is one of my favorite features. Could someone break in and drive away? Maybe but that's what insurance is for and I live in an area where I feel safe enough that shouldn't happen.

Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I've done this very thing for almost two years now, on my PRO:
-leave the fob in the center console
-use my APP or my 'hidden' SecuriCode keypad in the Charge Port

never have to carry, well, Anything, really.... except your phone, and your memory : )

Minh

First Name
Minh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Technically I understand this to be possible but I'm curious if people think its relaible enough for the times when you don't want to bring your entire set of keys and keyfob with you. If you're exercising for instance or hopping in the ocean... If you're confident you know your code, it is safe and reliable to lock the keys in the car and use the keypad code for reentry?

Thanks!
I installed a center console vault and leave my fob inside an aluminum faraday case. The PAAK works great, never had to use backup keypad to get in or retrieve the fob to start the vehicle. Some people have issue with leaving fob inside the center console vault for some reason but I think it’s perfectly fine. If a thief willing to destroy the center console to retrieve the fob then I rather them just take the vehicle and wreck it.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I can see leaving the fob locked up, or hidden, but putting it in the center console is not ideal.

Solar

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning ER - 2014 Escalade Platinum
Occupation
Accredited Investor
I do it and carry the long metal key in a wallet - so a PIN/key/memory - always at the ready while in the gym - surfing - on a run/hike et al.

Sponsored

jallen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 F150 XLT / 2023 Ford Lightning Pro
I’ve been doing this for 25 years. That’s when I got my first Ford with a keypad. Never had an issue.
Same!

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
same here, too

'safe' is relative

especially if you leave and drive in a rural area

but, also, simply because there is NO 'real' totally 'safe' situation, no matter what method you use... crime happens regardless.

Bwanapete

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2017 Tesla MS90d, 1941 Lincoln V12
Had an Expedition, left key inside, came back 5 hours later and the keypad wouldn’t work because the chassis battery had gone dead. So don’t do this if you have any reason to be concerned about your 12 volt battery.

Barrels

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 3.5L
Occupation
Retired
I windsurf and leave the fob in my pants in the locked truck all the time. Use the door keypad to lock and unlock the truck with no problem.

flyct

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'24 F-450 Platinum & '23 Ford Lightning Lariat & 2 Tesla Model Ys
Occupation
Blissfully Retired
We have a Lightning and a 24 F-450 Platinum. I leave my keys both trucks with pillar keypads for entry.

Im a belt and suspenders kind of guy. Try to prepare for all failures.

BUT it depends on where I’m parked as to where I leave key FOBs.

At home in our driveway I leave the key in a Faraday bag locked in the center console safe. I have console safes in both trucks. I’m more concerned about potential break in at the house.

At our remote cabin I just leave it in the cup holder, most times I leave the door unlocked. That property is a gated community and our 3 acre lot is 4 miles from the gate. There are NO strangers roaming the area. Only good neighbors who watch out for each other.

With the Lightning, using Phone as a Key most times, I don’t need the key fob. If FaaK fails I can always start the truck with the passcode on the screen. If needed.

If keypad fails I keep the funny looking emergency key I my wallet. Picture attached.

Ford F-150 Lightning safe to lock keys in the truck and use keypad for reentry? IMG_1432
Sponsored