• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

safe to lock keys in the truck and use keypad for reentry?

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
I do this all the time. Frankly, I don't even know where the fob is. I presume it's buried in the bin between the front seats!
Sponsored

harlano

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Fiesta ST, 2023 Lighning XLT ER,2024 Maverick
Occupation
1/2 retired
I had a 2001 F150 Supercrew Lariat. Ordered it in 2000 from Ford and just gave it up this year when someone side-swiped it in the middle of the night and totaled it. I almost always left the fob/keys in the truck and used the keypad to get in. Never failed in 23 years. Of course everyone in the family knew the code as well so if I had a brain fart and forgot it I could call someone.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2024 Rivian R1T
While I use PAAK now, I've done this with my previous F-150s, and have used it with my Lightning to leave my truck for others.

It's one of my absolute favorite Ford features.

surlymcm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER order. 23 Taycan 4CT, 04 E 320 wagon
I have done this since my first f 150 in the early 2000s. Used to leave the key in the ignition now it’s a fob in the console. If you press 7 and 9 simultaneously on the door keypad all doors will lock even if the key is inside the car.

Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Key fob lives in the truck. I use the keypad to lock/unlock. It was the biggest thing that I missed when I traded my 2011 f150 for a 2017 Tacoma.
Key fob is usually in the little shelf/cubby next to driver's right leg with a pair of cheap sunglasses and microfiber towel. I've also had it in the door with bug spray and microfiber towel, but if the door is open the truck won't start.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Key fob lives in the truck. I use the keypad to lock/unlock. It was the biggest thing that I missed when I traded my 2011 f150 for a 2017 Tacoma.
Key fob is usually in the little shelf/cubby next to driver's right leg with a pair of cheap sunglasses and microfiber towel. I've also had it in the door with bug spray and microfiber towel, but if the door is open the truck won't start.
What?

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With the keys in the door pocket with the door open they are not inside the detected area in the truck. Example truck in garage and you lean in to turn on the radio or open windows and it says key not found. Close door and it works.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With the keys in the door pocket with the door open they are not inside the detected area in the truck. Example truck in garage and you lean in to turn on the radio or open windows and it says key not found. Close door and it works.
Ah.

I thought you were saying you could not start the truck with the door open.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ah.

I thought you were saying you could not start the truck with the door open.
Nope, just a very sensitive proximity sensor. The key was outside the plain of the cab and it wouldn't turn on. Close the door and it works. Move the key to the middle of the cab with the door open and it works.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nope, just a very sensitive proximity sensor. The key was outside the plain of the cab and it wouldn't turn on. Close the door and it works. Move the key to the middle of the cab with the door open and it works.
Right, exactly as intended.

Charley

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightening
Occupation
Retired
Technically I understand this to be possible but I'm curious if people think its relaible enough for the times when you don't want to bring your entire set of keys and keyfob with you. If you're exercising for instance or hopping in the ocean... If you're confident you know your code, it is safe and reliable to lock the keys in the car and use the keypad code for reentry?

Thanks!
I have the phone, a watch and the door code to open the vehicle, no problems with at least one these. The only negative experience I had was to depend on the phone as a key to start and operate the truck. I got locked out one time and could not start my vehicle. Now I have a spare key without the battery in my console safe. If for some reason the vehicle doesn’t start with the phone only then I have the key to assemble and get going.

haresource2

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Avalanch
Occupation
business owner
Having your keyfob in your car will run the battery in the fob down more quickly because the truck is communicating with your fob the whole time its in there. I still do it at the lake or other places I worry about losing my keys.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
I windsurf and leave the fob in my pants in the locked truck all the time. Use the door keypad to lock and unlock the truck with no problem.
With a cap on my truck I leave the keyfob in the back while kitesurfing. Just carry the small key to my cap. So a thief could break in but they would also have to know where the keyfob was in the back- it's far enough away that the truck doesn't start.

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
I think you still run a risk that if someone breaks into your car and finds your fob they will be able to drive your truck away,...
Do they need to "find" your fob? If it's in the truck (cubby, console, glove box, etc.) won't they still be able to start the truck and drive off if they try?

Granted they may be just trying to steal contents but I suspect the wiser thieves (oxymoron) will always try to start it - knowing that some folks leave the fob in there.

I hide my spare fob in a Faraday bag (but I have PAAK).
Sponsored