Active shutter Actuator location

cc_lightning

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Hi, I took my truck in for service a few months back and since I’ve gotten it back, the Active Shutter (shutters in front of radiator)doesn’t seem to be working. It’s stuck in the same position regardless of outside temperature. I think (hoping) they might not have plug is back in when they replace one of the parking sensors. Is the actuator plug accessible without removing the bumper? I would prefer not to take it in as it take 2-3 weeks minimum to fix anything.

thanks
Sponsored

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the front shutters usually only open when CHARGING, to bring air flow on for cooling... they are typically CLOSED, or will close at speed, while driving...
when you are parked, they may remain open, or they may still be closed, but neither matters, at least until you CHARGE, or you get up to SPEED... they don't open just because of outside temps...

I've placed a camera there and had some time watching them open and close while driving...
(at about the 25-28 second mark)

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Unless you mount a GoPro, you're not likely to ever see them closed. They default open on the Lightning as a fail-safe. They close to improve aero above 40 mph. AFAIK, Lightning does not go through a test sequence when starting as this YouTuber refers to in a 2015 ICE F150.

OP
OP

cc_lightning

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the reply. Mine is partially opened. It used to be closed on cold days and on warmer days they are open. Now it’s in the same position.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
honestly, it doesn't matter if it actually closes, since that is solely for aerodynamic purposes when driving - if it were to be 'stuck' open, you'd have no issue... if it's stuck closed, well, that's a different story

these are not built where you can manually 'at will' open or close them, they just work when they are 'supposed' to, and I would have no idea how to adjust them, or correct any issue...

they are just like the aerodam below the front bumper, which operates on two 'twin' motors/actuators that run it down when you exceed 45mph, and back up when slower, etc...

I have a video of that, too...

Sponsored
OP
OP

cc_lightning

First Name
Charley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you. My theory was that while they did the repair on my parking sensor, they might have accidentally unplug the actuator. So, if it’s accessible or even where the location, I can check that.

mrau

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat⚡ER, VW ID4
they might have accidentally unplug the actuato
I would suspect if they were unplugged that the truck would throw an error code.

Ford seems to do that with most everything else.

Also, are they in Open or Closed position?

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
honestly, it doesn't matter if it actually closes, since that is solely for aerodynamic purposes when driving - if it were to be 'stuck' open, you'd have no issue... if it's stuck closed, well, that's a different story

these are not built where you can manually 'at will' open or close them, they just work when they are 'supposed' to, and I would have no idea how to adjust them, or correct any issue...

they are just like the aerodam below the front bumper, which operates on two 'twin' motors/actuators that run it down when you exceed 45mph, and back up when slower, etc...

I have a video of that, too...
Thanks for sharing the videos.

Do you have a video to show if the light goes off inside the refrigerator when the door is closed? 🤣
Sponsored