• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Another Dreary Earnings Report for 'F'

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
Reported another $1B loss on EVs in the quarter, and now expects to lose $5.5B (!!!!) on them for full year 2024. Warranty costs also weighing on the stock so prepare to get a fight for every little nit and nat. I'm in the middle of one, myself.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-q2-earnings-183231060.html
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Investor tears sustain me.

Look what happened to Boeing when they forgot about their core mission and pissed away their company for investor profits.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
This is with $7500 credit. Imagine without this next year.

People just have no interest, hard to find the right charge with enough speed, battery failure, miserable resale value, and the unpredictable repare cost, no need to mention the high insurance cost and extra $100-200 registratin fee. In addition to that, our (PG&E) electricity price is $0.5.

With or without $7500, this soundsnot sustainable to me.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MJDore

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
Buying the dips in F is not where I put my investments but that's just me. They've lagged a simple S&P index fund for years.
Ford F-150 Lightning Another Dreary Earnings Report for 'F' f.PNG

OP
OP
MJDore

MJDore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Finance
Much of the "loss" was writing off engineering costs. They are still investing in next gen EVs.
Oh, for sure. It's a cautionary tale, though. It's cash burn and, at some point, that will get old for the BOD quickly. It's still a great brand and generates strong free cash flow. Unlike, say, Rivian who will face solvency issues at some point.

VAF84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Consultant
This is with $7500 credit. Imagine without this next year.

People just have no interest, hard to find the right charge with enough speed, battery failure, miserable resale value, and the unpredictable repare cost, no need to mention the high insurance cost and extra $100-200 registratin fee. In addition to that, our (PG&E) electricity price is $0.5.

With or without $7500, this soundsnot sustainable to me.
Holy cow, you pay $.5 for electricity? That's over 3x what we have here. I don't know if I'd even consider an EV if I was paying that much. LOL, it's actually cheaper for you to DC fast charge with a Tesla membership!

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
$.5 for electricity?
I would be off grid at that price.

People just have no interest, hard to find the right charge with enough speed, battery failure, miserable resale value, and the unpredictable repare cost, no need to mention the high insurance cost and extra $100-200 registratin fee.
You might not have an interest but the sales numbers keep steadily increasing. Infrastructure is being built in more places for more people. The batteries are currently more reliable than Toyota tundra engines and they'll get better, repairs are fairly simple once you're trained and are comparable to other new vehicles. Resale value is a fallacy, the majority of people who buy cars aren't flipping them, they drive them until the wheels fall off. I drive an EV in Canada, it's cold, distances are long and the infrastructure is probably behind the USA but it still works great! My electricity is $. 14/kwh, gas here is $1.60/l. It costs me a 1/4 of what my gasser f150 2.7l did.
EVs are not for everyone, totally fine with that but some of the excuses are just lame. In your case, it doesn't make financial sense but we can't paint everyone with the same brush.

Sponsored

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
I’m in at 19.75. Today hurt. I’ll probably average down, and hope I live long enough for the dividend to make up the current 43.5% loss.

Last edited:

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
Holy cow, you pay $.5 for electricity? That's over 3x what we have here. I don't know if I'd even consider an EV if I was paying that much. LOL, it's actually cheaper for you to DC fast charge with a Tesla membership!
Our tier1 is 45 cents and we always charge at tier2 at 53 cents.

And yes Tesla SC (not open for other brand yet) 5 miles away is 35 cents and 16 cents after 8pm.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
You might not have an interest but the sales numbers keep steadily increasing. Infrastructure is being built in more places for more people. The batteries are currently more reliable than Toyota tundra engines and they'll get better, repairs are fairly simple once you're trained and are comparable to other new vehicles. Resale value is a fallacy, the majority of people who buy cars aren't flipping them, they drive them until the wheels fall off. I drive an EV in Canada, it's cold, distances are long and the infrastructure is probably behind the USA but it still works great! My electricity is $. 14/kwh, gas here is $1.60/l. It costs me a 1/4 of what my gasser f150 2.7l did.
EVs are not for everyone, totally fine with that but some of the excuses are just lame. In your case, it doesn't make financial sense but we can't paint everyone with the same brush.
I am early adoptor of EVs so I am not really arguing...

EV sale needs 30-50% jump year over year. Without volume it is not sustainable, very simple.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
Reported another $1B loss on EVs in the quarter, and now expects to lose $5.5B (!!!!) on them for full year 2024. Warranty costs also weighing on the stock so prepare to get a fight for every little nit and nat. I'm in the middle of one, myself.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ford-q2-earnings-183231060.html
I believe the $5.5 billion was announced at least last quarter if not the quarter before. They are probably spending a ton of money on R&D, trying to get the next GEN stuff ready-not to mention, they cannot really ramp their production when they are not selling as many as they thought they were going to a year or two ago !
Sponsored

Last edited: