• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

How often do you actually use the 9.6 kw pro power on board?

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 Lightning Lariat Antimatter Blue
I can't get the color I want and the 9.6 kw option :(

Just curious if many of you ended up using it. Initially I was hoping to use the 7.2 kw outlet to backup my house in a power loss event, but I am now getting powerwalls due to great incentives. Still, I was hoping to have this as a backup backup option if my powerwalls mess up or get depleted and my solar panels are completely covered by snow.

Other than that I am not sure if I would use it much, but having a 240v outlet on hand seems cool. Though I'd probably use it for bitcoin mining before I use it with any tools haha. I'm likely not going to tow and trailers or RVs too, though it does sound cool (if we get serious about camping we'll probably just start with a truck cap and mattress or something since it's just 2 of us)
Sponsored

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I use it to backup my house. Only needed a handful of times so far, but has easily been worth it.

OP
OP

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the very honest feedback! I am probably similar, I can see myself primarily using the 120v outlets to recharge portable power station batteries during a severe outage.

I use it to backup my house. Only needed a handful of times so far, but has easily been worth it.
Out of curiosity did you already have a transfer switch or get one installed after getting the lightning? And do you just disconnect the neutral to get it working?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Out of curiosity did you already have a transfer switch or get one installed after getting the lightning? And do you just disconnect the neutral to get it working?
I got one installed after I got my Lightning. I had an electrician install it, I showed him a couple threads here and they installed it properly where I don't have a neutral issue.

PrimeRisk

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 F-150 L Lariat, 2023 Tesla MY, 2021 Tesla MYP
Occupation
Technonerd
I have a Lariat and only have the 2.4kW plugs, but I have found it very handy to have 120V@20A available. The day after I bought it I was helping replace an automatic gate on a friend's property. We needed to solder some wires and we were 200+ yards away from the closest plug, so I just ran an extension cord from the frunk and tada!

I'm not sure I'd ever need 240V, so the 9.6kw would probably be a waste for me. If I'm going to install battery backup at my house, I'll skip the Ford integration. You have to deal with SunRun, which is an absolutely horrible company to deal with in my experience, and their estimate for a "base" installation is $8,900-9,400. This installation cost is crazy expensive considering the integration hardware is only $3,895 direct from AEESolar.

https://www.sunrun.com/ev-charging/ford-f150-lightning

https://his.aeesolar.com/s/product/...ble-ford-home-backup-power/01t1Q000008Hdl9QAC

Buyer beware too. On Reddit one lightning owner went through the horror story of a $10k install just to find out after they were ready to connect it to his panel, they then sprung the "you have to upgrade your panel" catch and wanted another $8k.

Go with an alternative battery back up system with less headaches and lower costs. A neighbor did a quad PowerWall with Tesla for less than SunRun is quoting and you don't have to deal with SunRun and still have backup power for the house if you disconnect the truck.

Sponsored
OP
OP

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a Lariat and only have the 2.4kW plugs, but I have found it very handy to have 120V@20A available. The day after I bought it I was helping replace an automatic gate on a friend's property. We needed to solder some wires and we were 200+ yards away from the closest plug, so I just ran an extension cord from the frunk and tada!

I'm not sure I'd ever need 240V, so the 9.6kw would probably be a waste for me. If I'm going to install battery backup at my house, I'll skip the Ford integration. You have to deal with SunRun, which is an absolutely horrible company to deal with in my experience, and their estimate for a "base" installation is $8,900-9,400. This installation cost is crazy expensive considering the integration hardware is only $3,895 direct from AEESolar.

https://www.sunrun.com/ev-charging/ford-f150-lightning

https://his.aeesolar.com/s/product/...ble-ford-home-backup-power/01t1Q000008Hdl9QAC

Buyer beware too. On Reddit one lightning owner went through the horror story of a $10k install just to find out after they were ready to connect it to his panel, they then sprung the "you have to upgrade your panel" catch and wanted another $8k.

Go with an alternative battery back up system with less headaches and lower costs. A neighbor did a quad PowerWall with Tesla for less than SunRun is quoting and you don't have to deal with SunRun and still have backup power for the house if you disconnect the truck.
Yeah I'm definitely happy there are still 120v outlets, those can be useful in many instances and especially during a power outage for appliances, etc.

I'm also getting 3 powerwall 3s (and I have lots of solar that can recharge it easily during an outage even on a cloudy day), and yeah once I made this decision I did place less importance on having a 240v outlet, but I still want it for some reason!

Saberdentures

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning PRO
Occupation
Heavy machinery operator
I’m trying to convince my Mom to get an ev, and the 240v plug lets me tell her that I can charge her car if her battery dies (she has range anxiety).

I have used the outlets plenty of times at job sites running hammer drills and such, but never gotten remotely close to the 9.6k watt range.

Looking at 240v cookware and instant water heaters (for camping) and welders/plasma cutters now that I can run them out of my truck.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 9.6 is only available if you use Ford's Intelligent Backup System installed by SunRun. there are lots of threads on this. it's expensive. I use the 220v from the truck bed through a transfer switch with a 30ft cable if have an outage. Have used it twice in the 11 month's I've had the truck. 72kw will power anything but the AC, oven, and clothes drier.

OP
OP

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m trying to convince my Mom to get an ev, and the 240v plug lets me tell her that I can charge her car if her battery dies (she has range anxiety).

I have used the outlets plenty of times at job sites running hammer drills and such, but never gotten remotely close to the 9.6k watt range.

Looking at 240v cookware and instant water heaters (for camping) and welders/plasma cutters now that I can run them out of my truck.
Yeah, actually charging another EV was another potential use case I thought of, but yeah I don't know if I'll ever run into that situation.

Saberdentures

First Name
Devin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning PRO
Occupation
Heavy machinery operator
someone correct me if I'm wrong but the 9.6 is only available if you use Ford's Intelligent Backup System installed by SunRun. there are lots of threads on this. it's expensive. I use the 220v from the truck bed through a transfer switch with a 30ft cable if have an outage. Have used it twice in the 11 month's I've had the truck. 72kw will power anything but the AC, oven, and clothes drier.
Excellent question

The 240v plug puts out 30 amps which totals to 7.2kw, but you still have the cabin/frunk circuit which is 120v at 20 amps which totals to another 2.4kw; thus, the truck can output 9.6kw, but you have to use the front and back of the truck.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
How big is your AC? I've got a 5 ton unit and put a soft start on it. I was very very close to getting the AC to start. If you've got anything less than a 5 ton - for less than $300 you can add a soft start to it and I would bet you'd be able to run the AC.

With the rest of the house off I could also power the oven and clothes dryer one at a time. The only thing I'm missing is my AC. I would love it if I had two smaller units. I considered it when we remodeled, but it just didn't work out.

Last edited:

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
I have used the 240V to back up the house and the 120V for a lot of things including cooking. You find uses for it that you didn’t know that you could have. Serious tools are 240V. I’d probably take it over color unless I really hated the colors available. (I’d take any color other than black which is a silly color for a car in the heat or at night.)

With the powerwall you would be in an ideal situation in a long term outage to head off to a DC fast charger to replenish the power for the house. The 240V may enable cool features in the future for smart homes like yours.

OP
OP

hajalie24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have used the 240V to back up the house and the 120V for a lot of things including cooking. You find uses for it that you didn’t know that you could have. Serious tools are 240V. I’d probably take it over color unless I really hated the colors available. (I’d take any color other than black which is a silly color for a car in the heat or at night.)

With the powerwall you would be in an ideal situation in a long term outage to head off to a DC fast charger to replenish the power for the house. The 240V may enable cool features in the future for smart homes like yours.
Good points. I don't think I'll be able to charge the powerwalls with the truck regardless, but still being able to go to a fast charger and run the house until after the issues are resolved sounds nice.

I also wonder if with the money saved maybe I can just get a beefier power station with 240v whenever I might need that. Charging it at 2.4kw while it's running can help it last longer.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
How big is your AC? I've got a 5 ton unit and put a soft start on it. I was very very close to getting the AC to start. If you've got anything less than a 5 ton - for less than $300 you can add a soft start to it and I would be you'd be able to run the AC.

With the rest of the house off I could also power the oven and clothes dryer one at a time. The only thing I'm missing is my AC. I would love it if I had two smaller units. I considered it when we remodeled, but it just didn't work out.
ya know, I don't remember off the top of my head. it might work if very little else is on. When/if the time comes some summer and I need it, I'll check it out. It might work but I'm not counting on it. And your right about the oven and dryer, just have to be mindful about what else is running.
Sponsored

Reactions: GDN