• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Ford Announces 2 New EV Pickup Trucks Coming in 2027, Including Project "T3"

ThunderSnoww

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER Antimatter Blue
If any of the Tacoma, Ranger, Colorado, Frontier, etc had been electric, that would have been our purchase instead of the Lightning.
Same here, I came from an '20 XLT Ranger to a '23 Lariat Lightning. Would like to get back to something a bit smaller, especially if the range can exceed 400 miles. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving my lightning, and feel like royalty driving it, but it's still more truck than what I typcically need.

ThunderSnoww

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER Antimatter Blue

SpaceEVDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning, 2022 Mustang Mach-E
Same here, I came from an '20 XLT Ranger to a '23 Lariat Lightning. Would like to get back to something a bit smaller, especially if the range can exceed 400 miles. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving my lightning, and feel like royalty driving it, but it's still more truck than what I typcically need.
Most of our trucks for the past 40 years have been Tacoma-sized or smaller. Fully electric was more important to me than vehicle size, but I strongly desired a Tacoma or Maverick size. The R1T was the only thing even close but we couldn't make the numbers make sense.

My partner may have to hold me back from buying an electric Tacoma if that ever makes it to market.

That said, te Lightning is so much more comfortable and load-capable than our Tacoma was for the use cases we have today. Fifteen years ago an F-150 was laughably, comically over-sized. Today we're doing more road trips, camping, and ranch work than way-off-road camping. With older bones and joints, I don't see us going back to the uncomfortable, harsh ride of the Tacoma, but it would be very tempting just for in-city driving.

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Hmm. Interesting. I know folks have gone back and forth on whether 'T3' would be mid sized or full sized, but it seems we are getting both! 2027 is also not bad timing for an upgrade for early Lightning buyers.

Assuming I still need a truck, I am not sure which I would go for - I will need to see all the details, so if I choose mid-sized, I probably won't be an early adopter.

I wonder how the efficiencies will compare between them. I know the Ranger doesn't really get much better mileage than a full sized F150, but hopefully they can do better with electric.
This is probably what they are looking for, us early adopters to upgrade to the newer version and not bail to Tesla or Chevy.

As long as they don't dumb it down, make is slower then I might be in.

Design will be key. Since it a 2027, I am assuming we will see it late 2025 with deliveries late 2026 as a 2027.

Sponsored

luebri

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22' F150 Lightning (Lariat ER), 22' Pathfinder SL
The most interesting part of this is there will be 2 Ford EV trucks released in 2027 but they will supposedly be built engineered by 2 completely isolated sub organizations.

The first affordable vehicle off this new platform will be a mid-sized electric pickup launching in 2027 that is expected to cater to customers who want more for their money – more range, more utility, more useability.
Mid Size Truck built by the isolated "skunkworks" ev team led by former Tesla exec Alan Clarke operating in Southern California.

Ford is retiming the launch of its groundbreaking electric truck code-named “Project T3” to the second half of 2027. Taking all the learnings from F-150 Lightning customers, the truck will offer features and experiences never seen on any Ford truck, including upgraded bi-directional charging capability and advanced aerodynamics. The truck will be assembled at BlueOval City’s Tennessee Electric Vehicle Center.
Essentially Gen 2 Lightning with lessons learned from Mach-E / Lightning Gen 1 EV's built by the current Ford EV team just with EV dedicated assembly plant.

Last edited:

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
This means our current gen Lightning will be selling for the next few years and I hope that means we still will get regular updates and features.
This is a very important point. A second generation F150 based Lightning was probably never in the cards, but this schedule means our existing Lightnings will remain current and on sale for at least another three years. Just in time for me to pay mine off. :)

CypherBlue

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Software Engineer
This is a very important point. A second generation F150 based Lightning was probably never in the cards, but this schedule means our existing Lightnings will remain current and on sale for at least another three years. Just in time for me to pay mine off. :)
Yes but the T-3 that Ford is working on now coming in 2027 will be the next generation of the Lightning. It was always meant to be the successor and will carry the name

Sponsored

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
The biggest mistake Ford made with EVs is releasing ANY news about T3. They did the thing everyone knows not to do, do NOT talk about replacement products as they will scare off short-medium term buyers from purchasing in the meantime. Tesla proved people like longevity in their cars, one of the reasons people like updates, so they don’t have to buy new to get new features and excitment. And Ford killed the excitement for what Lightning could become by getting everyone focused on what T3 would become. STUPID MOVE. Jim is a smart guy, but should have never let that happen.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lartiat ER, Model 3 LR, Crosstrek… hehe
Occupation
Developer
Yes but the T-3 that Ford is working on now coming in 2027 will be the next generation of the Lightning. It was always meant to be the successor and will carry the name
This is what hurt lightning in the first place.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
As I think about this more, they didn't mention anything about the Mach-e. I wonder if they will just keep it going with minor improvements/facelifts or if they plan to kill it off and just make EV trucks/ commercial vans.