• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Peter P

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Ranger XLT
Per Wes Morrill of Tesla:

"Would recommend AGAINST using an extension cord on a supercharger (or any DC charging station with a liquid cooled cable). Have seen multiple instances of the cable overheated and shorting DC +/-

There's a temperature measurement in the handle and the supercharger derates based on that temperature. With the extension cable that safety goes away. On top of adding an additional junction which generates heat making matters worse."

Sponsored

Kit2874

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
No problem Chevy and Ford will just take up to 2 to 3 spots... I was in louisiana at a tesla charging...

Six of the eight charges were available... And both ones that weren't available Where the outside ones instead of the inside ones... And one of the tesla drivers in a model Y was using the one That's for cyber trucks So he didn't have to back in...

I Try to be courteous... But when you have tesla drivers do that... And then One of the tesla Drivers had the audacity to tell me.I was taking up two spots...

I just Told him to call the tesla police

FloridaMan655321

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1973 F100, 2024 Flash
I'm not sure I would want to do 350kW over an extension cable, but I think I'd be ok with 100-150kW. Also, we (and I assume Chevy/Rivian) only need about 1-2ft, so you can really over engineer it without it not costing a stupid amount.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
That NACS adapter gets pretty hot and that’s with the truck taking in less than 180kW at peak and most of the charge curve being a good bit lower. Adding the extra resistance and bulk of an extension cable just seems like a bad idea. Tesla just needs longer cables on their charger, which the newer V4 pedestals do have…. But it seems even with that, we still have to straddle spaces for the cable to work for the Lightning.
I Try to be courteous... But when you have tesla drivers do that... And then One of the tesla Drivers had the audacity to tell me.I was taking up two spots...

I just Told him to call the tesla police
Show them Tesla’s own guidance on how to straddle spaces to charge your non-Tesla EV. I showed a lady that the first time I tested my NACS adapter. First she was going to tell me that I can’t charge there, Tesla only, it won’t work…. Then I explained to her that Tesla opened up to Ford, Rivian and soon others and showed her it was charging. Showed her Tesla’s info on how to straddle spaces. She commented on how Ford was stupid for not putting the charge port in the right spot, but was otherwise receptive.

djstough

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat, 2023 MachE Premium ER
...She commented on how Ford was stupid for not putting the charge port in the right spot, but was otherwise receptive.
Much like I've complained for 40 years that some manufacturers put gas fills on the right side of the car, or "gasp", on the front fender!

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Per Wes Morrill of Tesla:

"Would recommend AGAINST using an extension cord on a supercharger (or any DC charging station with a liquid cooled cable). Have seen multiple instances of the cable overheated and shorting DC +/-

There's a temperature measurement in the handle and the supercharger derates based on that temperature. With the extension cable that safety goes away. On top of adding an additional junction which generates heat making matters worse."

I’ld be wary of that cable. It’s showing as UL Certified and as I understand it, there are no finalized specifications for completing UL testing and listing.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I’ld be wary of that cable. It’s showing as UL Certified and as I understand it, there are no finalized specifications for completing UL testing and listing.
“UL Certified” is meaningless. It must be listed to a standard and be given a listing number.

Kit2874

First Name
Kit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 lightning
Much like I've complained for 40 years that some manufacturers put gas fills on the right side of the car, or "gasp", on the front fender!
I miss the days when you just folded down Your license plate like in my 74 firebird

Revenge

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR, 2011 Flex
So correct me if I have any of this info wrong. To my understanding V3 Superchargers are liquid cooled but V2 are not. While we can now charge at V3 stations the rate our trucks can accept is pretty much V2 speed. So if we can only charge at V2 speeds and those cables don't need to be liquid cooled why would an extension cable that in NOT liquid cooled be an issue.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
So correct me if I have any of this info wrong. To my understanding V3 Superchargers are liquid cooled but V2 are not. While we can now charge at V3 stations the rate our trucks can accept is pretty much V2 speed. So if we can only charge at V2 speeds and those cables don't need to be liquid cooled why would an extension cable that in NOT liquid cooled be an issue.
The truck still accepts the full 425 amps the V3 is rated at. 425A x nominal pack voltage on the Lightning = 160 KW charge speed (give or take). Compare that to an 800V architecture vehicle, the amperage is the same at a V3, but the 800V is what allows it to accept a higher charge. One can only assume Tesla made the V3's liquid cooled for uptime and reliability.
Sponsored