• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

GoSun solar charging

MountainAlive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lighting ER 512A
Apologies if this was already discussed here. I searched the forum and didn’t see anything. Does anyone know more about this product? It’s the equivalent of a level 1 charger but directly from solar panels you carry atop the vehicle. Obviously the Lightning could carry this easily.
https://gosun.co/products/ev-solar-charger-deposit
Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
First I've heard about it, looks like no one has them except maybe to beta testers.

Ford F-150 Lightning GoSun solar charging 1726863619328-i6

A lightning driven efficiently at 2.4 MPK might get 15 miles extra range per five hour solar peak charging

Ford F-150 Lightning GoSun solar charging 1726863824256-e4

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
like any solar array that's ever been discussed for EVs, this is very unsightly, but if you can get past that, it's also a hazard for easy theft... I'm not even sure 'how' you plug your 120v EVSE into this thing, other than there must be some type of INVERTER connected, maybe that sits in the vehicle.
One thing that you ALWAYS have to be aware of: if your EVSE unit has to have at least 8-10 amps of 120v power to operate, the shade/clouds/buildings are going to impact this very negatively - as 'full sun' is not always available, for the MANY HOURS this would need to make ANY meaningful impact for EV charging.

WOW! What a price! oh my ; /

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
like any solar array that's ever been discussed for EVs, this is very unsightly, but if you can get past that, it's also a hazard for easy theft... I'm not even sure 'how' you plug your 120v EVSE into this thing, other than there must be some type of INVERTER connected, maybe that sits in the vehicle.
One thing that you ALWAYS have to be aware of: if your EVSE unit has to have at least 8-10 amps of 120v power to operate, the shade/clouds/buildings are going to impact this very negatively - as 'full sun' is not always available, for the MANY HOURS this would need to make ANY meaningful impact for EV charging.

WOW! What a price! oh my ; /
It has a battery. I'm assuming you charge the battery, then use that to charge the vehicle. Very inefficient. Very expensive.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
It has a battery. I'm assuming you charge the battery, then use that to charge the vehicle. Very inefficient. Very expensive.
The web site details that there is a battery in the system to buffer intermittency of production, the inverter & battery are in the roof mounted turtle shell, along with a NACS or J1772 cable to feed the vehicle charge port L1 120 x 15 amp service.

Sponsored
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT ER
Wow. It costs like 3k. Some idiot walking by picking up the end and slapping it around on top of your vehicle will cause more than 3k in damages to your paint. You set it open, a storm rolls in and you forgot you have it open. Burst of wind over 30 mph smacks it against the car and causes more than 3k in damages. Worse the wind takes it off your car and damages something not owned by you.:headbang:...

$3k at ~50 cents a kw DC fast charging is 6000 kw and at 2 miles per kw average is 12k miles. Considering I drive about 4 k miles a year for work that's 3 years worth of driving at ridiculous DC charging rates.

For 3k I can buy a good sized portable solar generator system/battery back up with portable solar panels like the systems from Anker or ecoflow, ECT.

Mach Turtle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach E, 2024 XLT
Occupation
Bum
One wonders if the device can produce enough power to recover the range lost to drag by putting a large object, plus the rack to hold it, on top of the roof? Presumably under some conditions it can, but not likely during a freeway road trip. Has anyone traveled with, say, a Model 3 that has a roof carrier, who can quantify the impact on range?

One of these on a Lightning's tonneau cover would have much less effect on range.

Might be best for people who like to sleep during the day and drive at night.

Also wondering how the panels fold in the van image. There seems to be a strut right where the panels ought to go when retracted. Is this really a well thought out design that's anywhere near production status?
Sponsored