• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Looking to buy an used 2023 Lariat, can be a sign of problems ?

kayabusa

First Name
Leandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
I'm looking to buy a 2023 Lariat ER with 13k Miles. Is on the dealer lot for $50k maybe I can chip out $1k extra.

I'm new to Ford EV's but I do have experience with Rivian's.

Here is my question, Carfax indicates that previous owner bought it in 12/23 and sold it in 8/24. In 9 months he put 13k miles and went for service 4 times. (it does not say something specific)

Could be a undisclosed lemon ? or a mutual arrangement to not brand the vehicle as lemon ?

Having 4 service visit in the first 9 months is something common for the Lightning ?
Sponsored

tearitupsports

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
With customer satisfaction programs offered, it is impossible to tell if this was warranty or customer satisfaction, or just standard maintenance (or a combo of all).

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
This is a toss-up

In my first 9 months I was in service 4 times. They could not (and still haven't) figured out how to get my 360 camera view aligned. So 2 visits for that before I gave up with one dealer, then another visit at another dealer who got it close enough, and did my 10k service, also had a CSP done with a mobile visit. No lemon, just inept technicians for a simple complaint, and some standard stuff. So visit count is worrisome but explainable.

13k in 9 months is a lot. So they obviously drove it plenty. I know a few people who couldn't reconcile EPA range and made several service visits thinking the battery was defective before just giving up and selling it back.

Take a chance, you still got a lot of warranty left on it.

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
I'm looking to buy a 2023 Lariat ER with 13k Miles. Is on the dealer lot for $50k maybe I can chip out $1k extra.

I'm new to Ford EV's but I do have experience with Rivian's.

Here is my question, Carfax indicates that previous owner bought it in 12/23 and sold it in 8/24. In 9 months he put 13k miles and went for service 4 times. (it does not say something specific)

Could be a undisclosed lemon ? or a mutual arrangement to not brand the vehicle as lemon ?

Having 4 service visit in the first 9 months is something common for the Lightning ?
Did the original purchase happen at the same dealer?

Ask the dealer for the service history they should be able to pull it up by the VIN number I would think.

I have a 23 lariat ER and I have had one service visit (although it was Mobile)for a CSP and have a second one for the second CSP and Iā€™m also going to have them do my 10,000 mile service.
So technically, that would be three service visits I guess and I have not had any problems.

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER; Mach-E Premium ER
I have a 23 Lariat ER (Nov 23 build) and have been in for standard service once and have a pending CSP. That said I could have had another service call if I made the time for it for a rattle in the passenger side door.

I have 13.5k on my truck and bought it in February 2024. I had heavy driving months in February and March, partly abnormally high business driving and mostly family (grandmother passed away and I spend every minute I could with her in those final weeks). Those were both unusual and Iā€™ve settled on to a normal 15k/year pattern. Point is, donā€™t be shy of 13k (although you canā€™t talk w the original owner).

I love the truck. Traded in a manual Taco, which I also loved, but not as much as the Lightning.

Sponsored

K6CCC

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, 2017 Toyota Celica
Occupation
Two Way radio systems
In 9 months he put 13k miles
I've been putting about 18K miles/year on my daily drive vehicle for over 30 years. Nothing unusual about that. Related, my wife and I bought a Dodge van many years ago that had something like 19K miles in 4 months. It had been a rental car.

OP
OP

kayabusa

First Name
Leandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Thanks everyone for the input ! Today is the day to make the decision.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I'm not a lawyer but this sounds like fraud. Ford Motor Company is probably not in the fraud business over one F150.

Buy the truck if it works for you. Most of us really enjoy ours, you probably will too.

tubby

First Name
Press
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
IT
Thanks everyone for the input ! Today is the day to make the decision.
Too bad you are unable to talk to the existing owner. That is always the best warm fuzzy to shoot for. Also 50K sure seems like a big first year hit and a good deal for you when a lot of the '23 Lariat ER initial folks paid 90K. Still depends on the condition of the truck though...

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FEā€”Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
Service could mean actual problems, but it could also mean recalls and CSP.

Sponsored

Marc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat and a 24 Model X
Occupation
insurance agent
When l was shopping a few months ago I noticed that the majority of the trucks were bought back by Ford. I recommend buying a certified pre-owned by Ford. They were never bought back and the warranty is extended. I bought a loaded Lariat 23 ER with every option. I paid $52K with 17k miles. I could have bought 1 with less miles but adding the options this one had would have cost an additional 4K.

RocketGhost

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
I'm not a lawyer but this sounds like fraud. Ford Motor Company is probably not in the fraud business over one F150.
I know someone who had a Ram that qualified for lemon law buyback because it was out of service 30+ days. He opted to just trade it in at the dealer. I tried to talk him into lemon lawing it, but he didn't and got $5k less than he could have.

I'm sure there are more people who would just leave money on the table and be done with it in a matter of hours instead of weeks to go through the buyback process.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Platinum
I know someone who had a Ram that qualified for lemon law buyback because it was out of service 30+ days. He opted to just trade it in at the dealer. I tried to talk him into lemon lawing it, but he didn't and got $5k less than he could have.

I'm sure there are more people who would just leave money on the table and be done with it in a matter of hours instead of weeks to go through the buyback process.
So he took the depreciation and a $5k hit from the dealer? That's a crazy bad deal. I would hope it's not common but you never really know the history of a used car, do you?
Sponsored