Sponsored

Tried really hard to love MY23 Lightning Lariat ER

ytwytw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lighting ER Lariat
I actually I am pretty sure I am one of the persons here who tried or attempted to love my 2023, very very hard

first of all, I spent about $122000CAD incl tax to buy this truck without any markup, it's very difficult to achieve this in 2022
then everyone knows today you can pick up the same truck for only $87000CAD incl tax and maybe 0.99% interest rate

Afterwards, I spent about $2300CAD to install this stupid 80Amp EVSE that came with the truck. It's actually a terrible charger, as it can only charge lightning. It doesn't work on Tesla or Leaf, and the scheduling always has bugs that charge the car past low rate time sometimes.
I replaced it with Tesla Universal Charger last month, its only 48Amp, but the software is great and it works on both tesla and ford, scheduling always great and always cut power at 7am

Then in order to get software updates, spent almost 800CAD on the mongoose cable, i didn't buy the annual subscription but just 3 day pass.
Then I realized it doesn't work without 12V power supplier, at the time, 20amp charger are expensive, picked up a recommended one from community here, another $350CAD is gone.
Then I notice my 12v battery is weak but it passes the dealer test, have to replace it but too late, actually its not the battery but the 12v bms issue, so I wasted another $200cad on the 12v battery

$$$$ on FDRS + Forscan and also at least 100h spent on the forum here and there flashing software, apply mods, upgrade firmware and other random stuff

Then I bought my A2Z Adapter for supercharger, another couple hundred dollars gone and still didn't have my ford NACS adapter (my order number is 000002xx, one of the very early reservations), i glad i bought it as Ford don't like Canada

Also Odblink with ABRP, oh man, its great, but another $$$ that Ford Nav should have those features built in

Also made other mods to get it work with EA (without mod, i could not plug and charge on EA, and it hurts me in rural area)
too lazy to add more truck mods including bed hard fold over, bed rack, and some other random stuff, box link hook and more

My family love this car, much more comfortable than tesla, and the ride quality is great, the software is where my hate starts...
- I love early software you can control pro power from phone, now its gone
- BC update, still not there yet, but Forscan mod helps, but not native and still some bugs here and there
- not reliable phone app as key, i have both android and ios, both app sucks, need to keep rebooting phone to get key work
- talking about key, why i need a key to add backup code, stupid design
- turn signal camera only works with trailer with hack, why not make it an option without trailer
- still need to start the car to use propower, its so inefficient and i measure no power usage cost about 400-600W when idling
- walk-away lock update can be only done by dealer, WHY!!!
- Bluecruise so expensive, unless 10usd/mo then i will continue buying, Tesla FSD is only 99CAD a month and it can do a lot better than Ford

I have not talked about the range yet, but my battery State of Health is already 95% with 50000km odo, but my tesla is already 83% SoH at 90000km odo, actually not too bad. cant complain

whats next? im not sure actually
maybe another 2 year to switch to Ramcharger? or Sliverdo? I don't know...

comments or 2cents are welcome

I hope ford can see this to hire me to improve their EV program :) willing to help
Sponsored

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
This post is a mess, makes no sense, and will probably confuse people coming to this forum for real info.

To summarize:
-you are not happy because a Ford charger designed for one charging standard doesn’t charge your Tesla which uses a different charging standard
- you are not happy about spending money on things you as an owner absolutely don’t need to buy (because they are intended for you enthusiasts- i.e., FDRS and FORScan)

As for bluecruise, while it might be late, what’s your use case that makes it so necessary?

For your walk-away locking update, why do you need to take it to the dealer if you have FDRS?

Seems to me you have cybertruck envy, so why not buy that instead?

Scorpio3d

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
SS/IBA car wash owner
This post is a mess, makes no sense, and will probably confuse people coming to this forum for real info.

To summarize:
-you are not happy because a Ford charger designed for one charging standard doesn’t charge your Tesla which uses a different charging standard
- you are not happy about spending money on things you as an owner absolutely don’t need to buy (because they are intended for you enthusiasts- i.e., FDRS and FORScan)

As for bluecruise, while it might be late, what’s your use case that makes it so necessary?

For your walk-away locking update, why do you need to take it to the dealer if you have FDRS?

Seems to me you have cybertruck envy, so why not buy that instead?
Mostly agree, however …WAL update is (in) the BMS which is locked out from everyone that is not a Ford dealer!

PAndaemonium

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY23 Ford Lightning XLT ER
Is there a TLDR cause I don’t know if you’re upset, complaining or happy

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
interesting post, as all owners will have a different experience, but, we also may all have different EXPECTATIONS, about, well, a vehicle that has 4 wheels to take you from one point to the next, like any other vehicle.

but, when it comes to expectations about all the 'extras', well, that's where some will always have issues - they EXPECT everything to work to THEIR expectations, or assumptions. I'll agree that software is not always competent for all that we experience on a daily basis with our phones, apps, and laptops... but, I'll also admit that this machine is NOT an iPhone. It is NOT a laptop. It is NOT an App.

My 'machine' has 4 wheels and gets me from point to point, and in a very nice, smooth, and efficient way. It has some 'regular' extras, such as radio, air conditioning, and comfortable seating(not to mention the massive amount of roominess). It also has some nice 'extra' extras, such as LaneCentering, and safe CruiseControl 'controls' when approaching a slower vehicle, etc. This machine charges quite easily with a simple 240v $150 EVSE, including the included 'free' Ford MobileEVSE. Both of these EVSEs also charge my EV9 the same. Easy.

Sometimes we make things hard, rather than sitting back and enjoying the ride.

Sponsored

thunderbayterry

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER, Mazda MX-30 EV
Occupation
IT
I actually I am pretty sure I am one of the persons here who tried or attempted to love my 2023, very very hard

first of all, I spent about $122000CAD incl tax to buy this truck without any markup, it's very difficult to achieve this in 2022
then everyone knows today you can pick up the same truck for only $87000CAD incl tax and maybe 0.99% interest rate

Afterwards, I spent about $2300CAD to install this stupid 80Amp EVSE that came with the truck. It's actually a terrible charger, as it can only charge lightning. It doesn't work on Tesla or Leaf, and the scheduling always has bugs that charge the car past low rate time sometimes.
I replaced it with Tesla Universal Charger last month, its only 48Amp, but the software is great and it works on both tesla and ford, scheduling always great and always cut power at 7am

Then in order to get software updates, spent almost 800CAD on the mongoose cable, i didn't buy the annual subscription but just 3 day pass.
Then I realized it doesn't work without 12V power supplier, at the time, 20amp charger are expensive, picked up a recommended one from community here, another $350CAD is gone.
Then I notice my 12v battery is weak but it passes the dealer test, have to replace it but too late, actually its not the battery but the 12v bms issue, so I wasted another $200cad on the 12v battery

$$$$ on FDRS + Forscan and also at least 100h spent on the forum here and there flashing software, apply mods, upgrade firmware and other random stuff

Then I bought my A2Z Adapter for supercharger, another couple hundred dollars gone and still didn't have my ford NACS adapter (my order number is 000002xx, one of the very early reservations), i glad i bought it as Ford don't like Canada

Also Odblink with ABRP, oh man, its great, but another $$$ that Ford Nav should have those features built in

Also made other mods to get it work with EA (without mod, i could not plug and charge on EA, and it hurts me in rural area)
too lazy to add more truck mods including bed hard fold over, bed rack, and some other random stuff, box link hook and more

My family love this car, much more comfortable than tesla, and the ride quality is great, the software is where my hate starts...
- I love early software you can control pro power from phone, now its gone
- BC update, still not there yet, but Forscan mod helps, but not native and still some bugs here and there
- not reliable phone app as key, i have both android and ios, both app sucks, need to keep rebooting phone to get key work
- talking about key, why i need a key to add backup code, stupid design
- turn signal camera only works with trailer with hack, why not make it an option without trailer
- still need to start the car to use propower, its so inefficient and i measure no power usage cost about 400-600W when idling
- walk-away lock update can be only done by dealer, WHY!!!
- Bluecruise so expensive, unless 10usd/mo then i will continue buying, Tesla FSD is only 99CAD a month and it can do a lot better than Ford

I have not talked about the range yet, but my battery State of Health is already 95% with 50000km odo, but my tesla is already 83% SoH at 90000km odo, actually not too bad. cant complain

whats next? im not sure actually
maybe another 2 year to switch to Ramcharger? or Sliverdo? I don't know...

comments or 2cents are welcome

I hope ford can see this to hire me to improve their EV program :) willing to help
I don't have any of those problems with charging, and my wife drives a Mazda MX 30 that I also charge with the Ford Charge Station Pro. I've owned by Lighting for a year and havn't had a single problem with it, or with the Charge station.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Well, here is the positive spin. I love my 2023 Lariat ER. My family loves it too.
  • Didn't need the big 80-amp charger with the home integration system not certified in Canada, so sold it and bought a 48-amp charger (net $300 in my pocket).
  • Didn't need or want all of the rest of the stuff you bought however I do have a $100 ODB2 with Car Scanner
  • My SOH is 100% after 20 months and 41,000km. You need to charge to 100% once in a while to balance the battery pack to improve your SOH number since this is just a measure of the overall capacity including misalignment between packs and cells which can be corrected with a 100% charge once every couple of months. You need to do this with any EV once in a while including Tesla.
  • Onboard power runs my essential equipment (2 refrigerators, freezer, internet, furnace, coffee maker, small oven, lights etc) for around 10%-12% SOC per day during a power outage. Yes the truck is on, and yes you need to turn off lights and climate, but it doesn't burn much at all when you do.
  • You need a key because it is a secure way to add additional security features. This makes 100% sense to me, otherwise, anyone with FordPass access could mess with the security settings (I don't want my kids or hackers messing with that stuff - they'll need physical access to the key before messing with y settings)
  • I'm up about $9000+ in fuel savings compared to my 2018 ICE after subtracting my power costs.
  • BlueCruise works better than the original. I do not have 1.4 yet like my wife's MME however, the only feature that I can see missing is the auto lane change - No big deal since I'm watching and have my hands on the wheel while changing lanes anyway.
Otherwise the truck is better than when I bought it with the updates I get OTA.

Difference: I bought the truck for what it does, not what it might do in the future and I knew I was buying the 1st gen. It is MILES ahead of my previous 2018 and it is a truck that does truck things.
Sponsored