Sponsored

A2Z and Tesla SC, Road tripping on easy

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I'm up to now 12 uses with the original A2Z adaptor at SC this year. Everytime they just work and even yesterday with 6 Teslas, 1 other Lightning and a Cybertruck we all just pulled in and charged. No drama, no messing around with connections, what a concept. I do wish that eventually Tesla drivers will realize if they leave open the pull up side charging stations, the 2 Lightning could have used them and then we would not have blocked 3 stations for our use.​
My A2Z is worth the price for this new dare I saw enjoyable experience. My only issue is the A2Z is still difficult to disengage from the truck. I now shut off the charging, then unlock the Tesla handle, then have to wiggle the adapter a bit to get out.​
I do wish it would slide out easier as right now I could not turn my wife loose on a road trip as this would frustrate her. Any thoughts on this tightness issue, just keep using till it is more broken in?​
Sponsored

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I'm up to now 12 uses with the original A2Z adaptor at SC this year. Everytime they just work and even yesterday with 6 Teslas, 1 other Lightning and a Cybertruck we all just pulled in and charged. No drama, no messing around with connections, what a concept. I do wish that eventually Tesla drivers will realize if they leave open the pull up side charging stations, the 2 Lightning could have used them and then we would not have blocked 3 stations for our use.
My A2Z is worth the price for this new dare I saw enjoyable experience. My only issue is the A2Z is still difficult to disengage from the truck. I now shut off the charging, then unlock the Tesla handle, then have to wiggle the adapter a bit to get out.​
I do wish it would slide out easier as right now I could not turn my wife loose on a road trip as this would frustrate her. Any thoughts on this tightness issue, just keep using till it is more broken in?​
I find talking to the drivers at chargers to educate them usually is met positively.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
the 'release' of the TESLA-side of the equation is because of the Tesla release mechanism timeframe... the Supercharger unit must 'see' that there is no longer any power running thru the cable before it will disengage... for some reason, using the adapter, it tends to get the message much later... I tend to count to 10 before I feel it will release... sometimes longer.

- press the BlueOval charging RING on the truck to stop
- pull out the whole adapter/nacs unit
- wait 10 seconds, listen for the Supercharger unit to 'calm down'
- maybe the Nacs end will now release

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
I’m currently towing a 7300 lb travel trailer from PA to ID and back. I’ve been using the Ford provided adapter and it is awesome. Although sometimes I wish I had a third hand to unhook it. The release button is awkwardly placed under the NACS so that it is difficult to depress while securely holding the adapter and applying the necessary release pull on the NACS. But that being said, I’m so glad I have it!

We made the trip to ID only unhooking the camper once using mostly Superchargers!

Ford F-150 Lightning A2Z and Tesla SC, Road tripping on easy IMG_0712

Ford F-150 Lightning A2Z and Tesla SC, Road tripping on easy IMG_0664

Montecarlossfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Azure Gray XLT Lightning
Occupation
Programmer
Just did a 2k round trip… Tesla charging is a game changer .. EA sucks .. I tried to use some of my “free” charging but usually EA is just jam packed or out of order.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I’m currently towing a 7300 lb travel trailer from PA to ID and back. I’ve been using the Ford provided adapter and it is awesome. Although sometimes I wish I had a third hand to unhook it. The release button is awkwardly placed under the NACS so that it is difficult to depress while securely holding the adapter and applying the necessary release pull on the NACS. But that being said, I’m so glad I have it!

We made the trip to ID only unhooking the camper once using mostly Superchargers!
[sarcasm font] I really wish people would stop posting that you can tow vehicles cross country with a Lightning when everyone knows you can't, just ask the internets [/sarcasm font]

OP
OP
JRT

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
That tow is impressive, but also has to still be a lot of stops. Some don't have that time to commit to towing. Most questions I'm asked are towing, which in the south areas is not great. So I always say if you have time to plan and stop ever hundred miles you are fine. Funny thing my wife got a travel bug and started looking at trailers too, which honestly I'm not sure I would want to do with the lighting given the area I'm in and lack of charging. This weekend to Mississippi was prime example. No SC on my route and only dealerships with chargers. Lucky I tried out the local hospital this time and have plenty of access to 7kwh chargers, so park and leave is an option now.

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
That tow is impressive, but also has to still be a lot of stops. Some don't have that time to commit to towing. Most questions I'm asked are towing, which in the south areas is not great. So I always say if you have time to plan and stop ever hundred miles you are fine. Funny thing my wife got a travel bug and started looking at trailers too, which honestly I'm not sure I would want to do with the lighting given the area I'm in and lack of charging. This weekend to Mississippi was prime example. No SC on my route and only dealerships with chargers. Lucky I tried out the local hospital this time and have plenty of access to 7kwh chargers, so park and leave is an option now.
Yep—now I have more time than money! The trip to ID took us 1.5 days longer than if we had towed with an ICE vehicle. It was only slightly cheaper, but the truck is so much more comfortable than the Ram 2500 diesel that it replaced, that I don’t mind the extra time on the road.

A lot of the extra time was due to having to route through Colorado because we couldn’t make the 170 mile legs in Wyoming. A little more towing range would go a long way or if the Superchargers along that route were open to non-Teslas. I think the towing situation can only get better from here! The nice thing out west is the chargers never seem to be crowded!

Keanen

First Name
Keanen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Engineering
I agree 100%! I drove 1,600 miles round trip this summer and using SC were great!!

Madtroniks

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford