Navion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford Lightning
Hello all,

Just bought the Ford "Flash" a few days ago because of the incentives. I've owned F250 diesel most of my life.
I've looked thru the forums last few days but still have a few hopefully simple unanswered questions.

1. Who actually installs the home powering system? At the dealership I was told "Qmerit is Ford's EV partner and they will take care of all the installs including the home powering system".

Then I talked to Ford via the Ford Pass app and was told "Qmerit installs the home charger, but Sunrun will do the home powering system, they will not contact you. You will need to contact them after the EV charger is installed."

2. The chargers are not lockable. All the Tesla fan boys at work can lock the charger, I can not. We live in a very safe little town, but at $600 a pop surely someone has figured out how to secure these? I was going for the chain and lock around the charging pole. I guess they could still steal the dongle.

3. Is there a good online tutorial for the truck? The salesman new very little about the truck, it was the only one on the lot our local Ford doesn't even stock them. We got a five minute over view but not really that helpful.

4. Is there a good after market charger or is OEM recommended?

5. We live very rural, one of the reasons for the purchase was because of power loss and wanting to be able to run fridge freezer x4 and our well pump. Can an additional lithium bank be added along side the truck? Generator?

6. Not to flare tempers but I have a CC permit as does my wife. If you carry have you found a good spot other than the center console?

Thanks,

Nav
Sponsored

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Welcome!

A couple points:

If you have ProPower Onboard, you can run the items listed off of it without the full blown home backup system. You can probably run for a week or more - no extra battery required. You should read the threads on here about home backup before you spend any money on it.

The online owners manual is a good thing to peruse. This forum is a great place to learn.

I have Ford-branded EVSEs, but if I had it to do over again, I‘d buy an Emporia….less money and better features.

The center console is your best option. There are aftermarket locking safes to fit.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow & 2024 Harley-Davidson Road Glide CVO-ST
Occupation
Retired
Welcome, don't bother shopping for EVSE's with more than 48 amp's capacity, that is the limit of your 2024 Flash's charging ability.

carys98

First Name
Cary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat SR
1. You should be getting a free charger (EVSE) and installation. Qmerit will take care of that. If you want to do the Home Integration System then you will have to contact Sunrun and that will cost you somewhere around $10k to get it installed. It’s a bit flaky so you should search the forum for threads about it before you invest in it. Hopefully you got the 9.6 kW ProPower in which case you can do a generator transfer switch. See this thread or one of the other ones in this thread or one of the other one in this forum.
https://www.f150lightningforum.com/...-my-house-from-the-pro-power-240v-plug.14017/
2. I’m not sure what you are asking. You should be getting the free home charger so it will be permanently mounted for charging at home. If you are talking about the mobile charger that might have come with the truck that is for use when you are away from home. When I’ve had to use mine I loop a security cable through the tow hook and then padlock the cable to the end. They could still take the dongle but not many people would even know that’s possible.
3. I don’t know of a good overview. There is a lot of good info on this forum. Search for what any questions that come up and if you don’t find the answer start a new thread.
4. You should be getting a free one from Ford. It’s not the best one available but it’s good and you can’t beat free.
5. See #1. If you have the 9.6 kW ProPower then you should be able to power all of that with no problem. You already have 131 kWh of battery so I’m not sure you need much more. If you do a generator transfer switch then you could buy a separate battery pack with a 30A inverter that you could plug in when the truck isn’t home.
6. Can’t help you on this one.

Ford F-150 Lightning New owner questions IMG_0480

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Unsure what you're trying to lock. At work, you'd be using their chargers, no? At home, you'll have a permanently mounted charger that you spoke of getting installed.

OP
OP

Navion

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Ford Lightning
Unsure what you're trying to lock. At work, you'd be using their chargers, no? At home, you'll have a permanently mounted charger that you spoke of getting installed.
No they just offer the 4 prog plug.
Sponsored