Selling because I drive too much.

MrLoganRoss

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23.5 MachE GTPE & '24 Lightning Lariat
What is the cost to change the lightning battery out of warranty? Also, I thought cell cases. Old be replaced rather than the whole battery?
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
What is the cost to change the lightning battery out of warranty? Also, I thought cell cases. Old be replaced rather than the whole battery?
North of $35k from some quick googling, for a new battery ( the article I scanned said it was based on Ford parts catalog ). You have to be careful replacing single modules. If the rest of the battery is, say 85% of original capacity, then you probably don't want a brand new battery as you'd only be able to use 85% of it off the bat. Would be better to get a used one that more closely matches your battery state. That should be significantly less expensive. Paying for the install and balancing all the modules might be the driving factor at that point in time.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
If I was road tripping I'd get a regular V8 F150 or RAM. I would not touch a hybrid or those turbo 4C in Chevrolet trucks.

Good luck for sure and enjoy the journey!
I don't know about the other brands, but my neighbour's 2023 F150 Hybrid cuts the electric part as soon as a trailer is connected. It kind of defeats the purpose. He trailers daily and returned it a week later for a full ICE since the Hybrid gave him no benefits.

OP
OP

TomB985

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT ER
Anyhow, I'm wondering - I noticed that you have towed camper trailers - that teardrop one and the other one. I note you have an extended range Lightning (as do I) In the real world, what kind of range are you getting pulling those light camper trailers on the HWY? And how fast are you generally driving when pulling those?

Cheers and all the best to you!
Thanks! I pulled the A-Frame with my Lightning about 6,000 miles before having a structural issue, so I traded it out in Oregon for the Nucamp T@B 400.

Iā€™ve posted my towing thoughts in a couple other threads. The camper was a T21TBHW, which sits 68ā€ tall when folded down. I averaged 1.4 mi/kWh at 60-65 MPH, which gave me a usable range over 150 miles on a trip. Unfortunately the T@B isnā€™t as efficient as I hoped. Itā€™s 104ā€ tall and only gets 1.1 mi/kWh despite the aerodynamic profile. Thatā€™s only about 120-140 miles of usable range unless I slow it down. I had a tailwind for the entire route back from Oregon last month, so Iā€™m not certain of my numbers in calm air.

For comparisonā€™s sake, I used my ā€˜04 Expedition on my 3,200-mile trip to NH two weeks ago. I averaged only 10.7 MPG at 61-63 MPH.

The module that was replaced is almost $6K MSRP, and the dealer quoted about $3K labor if I was paying. Ford sells the entire pack for around $36K if I remember right, and Iā€™m sure installation would be much simpler than disassembling and replacing a module.

No extended warranty available anywhere?
I wish. I looked at ESPs and other options, but nobody credible sells a warranty that covers the HV battery.

Sponsored

On the Road with Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Pro
Occupation
Real estate/biz consultant
It is not my intention to be snide (and I am a high mileage Lightning driver, too), but if you were driving an ICE F-150, your engine would already be out of warranty. If it threw a rod or the timing chain slipped or broke, the you'd be looking at replacing the entire motor at an out-of-pocket expense not dissimilar to a module replacement. And such things DO happen (to me, in a Honda of all things). So, I'm not sure I see your point. But I envy your wanderlust.

anewbe

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I was forced into retirement a few years ago because of a severe hand disability, and Iā€™ve found a sense of happiness by being somewhere else. Anywhere else. I drove 40,000 miles last year, and Iā€™m not slowing down unless/until my hands force me to. This truck has taken me from Minnesota to both coasts and down to south Texas, and itā€™s been nearly flawless except for a module failure last January. It has 47,000 miles on it, and Iā€™d be over 100K in less than two years. I canā€™t pay it off that fast, and Iā€™d be one of the first to push past the 100K battery warranty.

Iā€™d keep it if they had a demonstrated history of holding up past the warranty period, but that wonā€™t exist for awhile. I expect itā€™ll be radiactive on the used market once the warranty expires, so I think Iā€™m best selling now and finding something I can confidently put 200K on.

This is my fourth EV and I hate to go back to gas, but Iā€™ve gotta get my priorities in order. Being somewhere else tomorrow is more important than driving a nice electric pickup. I know this forum isnā€™t an airport, and I donā€™t need to announce my departure, but I thought this was worth thinking about for others who drive lots of miles.

PXL_20240923_133826974_Original.jpeg

PXL_20240923_133351817_Original.jpeg

PXL_20240913_195808481_Original.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

DJI_0774.jpeg

PXL_20240513_013946696_Original.jpeg
For the same reason as you, I purchased the extended warranty on the battery and truck. The price was well worth the piece of mind it'll bring in those miles over 100K.

anewbe

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Retired
I am not aware of an extended warranty for the Lightning battery, where did you find one?
September 2023 from my dealer in McGregor TX. Covers the entire vehicle (battery included) to 125k
Sponsored