• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

I'm all about that base , bout that base, bout that base, No Platinum

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus
I am super excited about that F150 lightning. Enough to even reference a Megan Trainer song as the topic head. The trim that has me especially interested is the Pro model. It has plenty of standard features but still lacks some major wants. The platinum model is magnificent but with that price tag its not affordable for myself. Hell, you can buy 2 lightning Pros for that price or maybe a Bronco and a lightning Pro. The XLT may be a sweet spot but would it be worth the extra $10k? What I really want is a Pro trim with an extended battery. Ford should really consider this. I would add on that interior work surface , running boards , and cloth seating (fingers crossed). I am also having a dilemma between carbonized grey and stone grey, especially with the black accents that the Pro will have. My question to the forum is how are you guys going to spec out your truck? Any aftermarket projects? Excited to hear your guys opinions.
Sponsored

blkZ28spt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 501A SCREW 4x4 tuned 3.5
I'm pretty sure the pro with ER battery doesn't make sense, as others have pointed out, from Ford's perspective since they have excess demand and limited/finite battery to go around. Using that much of their battery allotment for what is likely a relatively low margin vehicle...not the best utilization

Besides Ford is really good at playing that game where you spend a good bit more money for a higher trim to get optional features. Guys would love to buy an F150 XL STX and get BlueCruise with massaging seats for a cheap long distance vehicle but Ford knows they can make more money the way they do it since enough people will pay the upcharge for the higher trim.

Soooo I wouldn't expect a larger battery in the base model until their supply vs demand on batteries changes substantially

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MME GB FE—Dead. F150L Lariat SR. MME Rally ordered
I'm pretty sure the pro with ER battery doesn't make sense, as others have pointed out, from Ford's perspective since they have excess demand and limited/finite battery to go around. Using that much of their battery allotment for what is likely a relatively low margin vehicle...not the best utilization

Besides Ford is really good at playing that game where you spend a good bit more money for a higher trim to get optional features. Guys would love to buy an F150 XL STX and get BlueCruise with massaging seats for a cheap long distance vehicle but Ford knows they can make more money the way they do it since enough people will pay the upcharge for the higher trim.

Soooo I wouldn't expect a larger battery in the base model until their supply vs demand on batteries changes substantially
Keep in mind that the extended range battery on the Pro has a $2,500 upcharge compared to other trims. I think that after a year or two the extended range battery will become available on the Pro yo non-fleet buyers.

OP
OP

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus

You're right. It would be nice though especially since they offer it on the Pro for fleet buyers. I would be willing to dish out the extra cash for extended range battery but to upgrade to XLT to get the ER battery I'll have to slow my roll. Hopefully , Ford is able to keep up with demand especially for launch and not have Bronco production issues.

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
I agree with first two posts. The perfect Lightning for me will be the Pro with extended battery and 15'5" screen. (I'm grateful it is possible to get the max trailer tow and tow tech packages as options currently on the Pro.) If dreams could come true, that would put me at $52,787, but no 15.5" screen.

In Arizona, I need the extended range to feel comfortable towing any trailer to a camp site from the Phoenix area. The bigger screen would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker. The extended range is a deal breaker because the one thing that prodded me to buy my first EV is that the Lightning has pack up power capability for the house. My understanding is that is only possible with the extended range battery. (If I am wrong, please let me know.)

In the end, I am one of those customers that Ford will likely be successful in getting more money from. From where I stand, if I order an XLT to get the extended battery, and add the max trailer tow and tow tech packages, I am looking at $62,334.

If I'm going to spend $62,334, I can add the Co-Pilot 360 Active (Hands free driving) as an option on the XLT Premium, which will automatically add the 9.6-KW Pro Power, 20" wheels and automatic approach unlock and be at $67,959 with the Co-Pilot 360 Active option ($5,625 more). (My thought about the hands free driving option is that I believe I will regret not having it 10 years from now. I keep my vehicles a long time.)

I would really like the 15.5" screen having seen it in the MME and the option to add leather seats. But to get these options I have to bump up to the Lariat, which would be $78,659 ($10,700 more than the XLT Premium). I'm not sure it is worth it, but if I'm going to make the jump to the Lariat, I might as well as pay for the Lariat Premium for $1,680 more putting it at $80,339. I think it is definitely worth the extra $1,680 to get the phone as a key, moonroof and lockable fold flat rear storage. But at this point, Ford is getting an extra $27,552 more than what I was hoping to pay for the Pro with extended battery and the two tow packages.

Of course, all this is based upon the belief that the options and trims will remain what the survey indicated. We can all hope that Ford will reconsider limiting the extended battery, 15.5" screen and leather seats.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I agree with first two posts. The perfect Lightning for me will be the Pro with extended battery and 15'5" screen. (I'm grateful it is possible to get the max trailer tow and tow tech packages as options currently on the Pro.) If dreams could come true, that would put me at $52,787, but no 15.5" screen.

In Arizona, I need the extended range to feel comfortable towing any trailer to a camp site from the Phoenix area. The bigger screen would be nice to have, but not a deal breaker. The extended range is a deal breaker because the one thing that prodded me to buy my first EV is that the Lightning has pack up power capability for the house. My understanding is that is only possible with the extended range battery. (If I am wrong, please let me know.)

In the end, I am one of those customers that Ford will likely be successful in getting more money from. From where I stand, if I order an XLT to get the extended battery, and add the max trailer tow and tow tech packages, I am looking at $62,334.

If I'm going to spend $62,334, I can add the Co-Pilot 360 Active (Hands free driving) as an option on the XLT Premium, which will automatically add the 9.6-KW Pro Power, 20" wheels and automatic approach unlock and be at $67,959 with the Co-Pilot 360 Active option ($5,625 more). (My thought about the hands free driving option is that I believe I will regret not having it 10 years from now. I keep my vehicles a long time.)

I would really like the 15.5" screen having seen it in the MME and the option to add leather seats. But to get these options I have to bump up to the Lariat, which would be $78,659 ($10,700 more than the XLT Premium). I'm not sure it is worth it, but if I'm going to make the jump to the Lariat, I might as well as pay for the Lariat Premium for $1,680 more putting it at $80,339. I think it is definitely worth the extra $1,680 to get the phone as a key, moonroof and lockable fold flat rear storage. But at this point, Ford is getting an extra $27,552 more than what I was hoping to pay for the Pro with extended battery and the two tow packages.

Of course, all this is based upon the belief that the options and trims will remain what the survey indicated. We can all hope that Ford will reconsider limiting the extended battery, 15.5" screen and leather seats.
As far as I can tell, the current ice trims require you to go to Lariat to be able to get leather seats. I don't see an option for leather on the XLT.

The home backup is stated in the current documentation from Ford to be available on both batteries. It does require the ford 80amp evse and special installation. The 80amp evse is included with the ER battery and will be an additional charge (amount currently unknown) for the SR battery.

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
The home backup is stated in the current documentation from Ford to be available on both batteries. It does require the ford 80amp evse and special installation. The 80amp evse is included with the ER battery and will be an additional charge (amount currently unknown) for the SR battery.
That is good to know that it is possible with SR. Has any price for the additional charge been released?

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I canceled my reservation because they refuse to sell the extended range pro to standard consumers. Money talks.
Out of curiosity, when you cancelled your reservation was there a place to tell them why you were requesting a refund?

RedWilly11

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT & 2021 Volvo XC60 T8 Recharge
Occupation
Higher Ed Research
I'm planning to buy the Pro and making a few aftermarket upgrades. I'm not a fan of cloth seats anyways, my 2019 Ranger cloth is fine, but I've never seen cloth seats after a few years and didn't think they were gross... Easy fix is to replace the vinyl with something like Katzkin leather. I'm guessing it'll be about $3K, but that's much cheaper than springing for the Lariat model. The 230 mile range doesn't bother me. I'm sure it'll be a bit higher anyways, but I work from home and live within 10 miles from my son's school, my office (if I ever go), the gym, and Menards... I also don't need this as a roadtripper since my wife's car is a plug-in hybrid Volvo that's more than sufficient for longer drives.

Sponsored
OP
OP

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus
Out of curiosity, when you cancelled your reservation was there a place to tell them why you were requesting a refund?
Yeah maybe if Ford can take notice they will change their mind. It will however most likely be available in a couple years for normal consumers. Unless we all start an LLC together and all purchase are Ford Fleet Pro's with extended range haha

OP
OP

GreasyLightning47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota, Lexus
I'm planning to buy the Pro and making a few aftermarket upgrades. I'm not a fan of cloth seats anyways, my 2019 Ranger cloth is fine, but I've never seen cloth seats after a few years and didn't think they were gross... Easy fix is to replace the vinyl with something like Katzkin leather. I'm guessing it'll be about $3K, but that's much cheaper than springing for the Lariat model. The 230 mile range doesn't bother me. I'm sure it'll be a bit higher anyways, but I work from home and live within 10 miles from my son's school, my office (if I ever go), the gym, and Menards... I also don't need this as a roadtripper since my wife's car is a plug-in hybrid Volvo that's more than sufficient for longer drives.
Yeah the pro I believe offers the most bang for buck especially with tax credit.I also planned on doing Katzkin as well but from the photos of the current vinyl seating they look pretty comfy.If the body and mounting brackets are identical to the current f150 then running boards would also be a great cheap upgrade as well.

fitek

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit 350EXT
I don't know much about chargers but it looks like the Bosch 80a EVSE costs $2500.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
All about base for me too. I wouldn’t get the extended range battery option even if it was available. Even with ER, this is not a long distance towing vehicle with current tech and infrastructure. As is, it will take care of 99% of my drives and for occasional super long distance travel, for the next 10 years, we either will take my Wife’s ICE or I supercharge a little more frequently.

I would not pay more than $3K for 70 extra miles of range. I would rarely use the extra range. It may become a factor after 7-10 years when battery capacity goes down but by then, I probably could replace the whole battery pack with a 600 mile pack for much less than $10K (If I am still around) If I get any option at all, it would be max trailer tow for extra cooling and may be tow tech package if I see frequent short towing trips in my future. If I spend $50K or more, it would be on another vehicle.