• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
F150 Lighting is just too heavy to do 0 - 60 in 4 seconds flat with any tire or environment. At absolutely the best I am looking at 4.3 - 4.4 seconds with the right tire, right driver and right environment (climate, altitude and on a well maintained race track)
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
F150 Lighting is just too heavy to do 0 - 60 in 4 seconds flat with any tire or environment. At absolutely the best I am looking at 4.3 - 4.4 seconds with the right tire, right driver and right environment (climate, altitude and on a well maintained race track)
Are we really quibbling over 0.3-.04 seconds in a pickup truck? Even questioning 0.9 seconds seems excessive on the acceleration for a TRUCK!

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Yet the Hummer EV that weighs a little over 9000lbs can do it in 3 seconds.

We are talking about a truck, not a sports car.even 4.9 seconds in a truck is fast. The only reason to have fast speed is to have fun maybe 1% of the time. Very few people are going to be using all that acceleration on a regular basis. My last car (it got written off in a total loss not of my fault) was 0-60 in 7.2s, and it was plenty fast for me. Rarely ever did I even accelerate that fast so it is more for fun than anything else.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Are we really quibbling over 0.3-.04 seconds in a pickup truck? Even questioning 0.9 seconds seems excessive on the acceleration for a TRUCK!
Given the new HP ratings, we can ratio from the Mach-e GT to get an idea (not GTPE becuase the Lightning will not have sticky summer tires.

Lightning - 580HP / 6800lbs = 11.72 lb/HP
Mach-e - 480HP / 5000lbs = 10.4 lb/HP @ 3.8s

At that ratio, the Lightning would be ~4.3s Not bad! This is pretty much the lower limit.

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
i heard that too. Can't be right, can it? I mean, I heard him say that but he's the only one that has said that.
found this in the Detroit Bureau review " The automaker originally estimated the truck would hit 60 in about 4.5 seconds. The long-range model I drove did it in about 4.1 seconds, making it one of the fastest pickups ever built. And on the highway, you’ll find it continues to deliver plenty of passing power well beyond legal speeds. "

Sponsored

jaykoolzboy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Hyundai Ioniq&Kona, Honda FCV
Occupation
IT Consultant
Damn, I thought it's going to be 4.3- 4.4 at its best, how wrong I can be, both Alex and Redline performed in the low 4s (4.1 - 4.2 seconds), well, with the right tire and environment, I have no doubt F150 ER can do 4 seconds flat (especially with some software boost later on), what a beast.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space
So is Horsepower difference due to the larger battery able to flow more electrons to the motor per second? Or is there a software limit and/or direct current cable size (different for ER vs SR) to the motor limit?

Mr. Flibble

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1995 Delica L400, Kia Soul EV, Jeep Diesel
Occupation
Computer Nerd
Yet the Hummer EV that weighs a little over 9000lbs can do it in 3 seconds.

We are talking about a truck, not a sports car.even 4.9 seconds in a truck is fast. The only reason to have fast speed is to have fun maybe 1% of the time. Very few people are going to be using all that acceleration on a regular basis. My last car (it got written off in a total loss not of my fault) was 0-60 in 7.2s, and it was plenty fast for me. Rarely ever did I even accelerate that fast so it is more for fun than anything else.
You are not wrong, sports car like performance isn't really needed in a truck.

Though we probably will use this daily. Reason being we live just off of a rural highway, and our driveway links with the highway next to a blind corner with a lot of traffic at certain times of the day.

Getting that gap to either merge with traffic, or worse, having to turn left across the other lane is a pretty scary affair.

I use sports mode when making the left hand turn across traffic.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
You are not wrong, sports car like performance isn't really needed in a truck.

Though we probably will use this daily. Reason being we live just off of a rural highway, and our driveway links with the highway next to a blind corner with a lot of traffic at certain times of the day.

Getting that gap to either merge with traffic, or worse, having to turn left across the other lane is a pretty scary affair.

I use sports mode when making the left hand turn across traffic.
It’s the torque that gets you there, it’s the horsepower that keeps you there.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
So is Horsepower difference due to the larger battery able to flow more electrons to the motor per second? Or is there a software limit and/or direct current cable size (different for ER vs SR) to the motor limit?
Pretty much.

Think of it this way (which ignores thermal limits, but is about right). EV motors hold a constant torque at low RPMs. As RPMs increase HP increases (torque x RPMS/5252) and you need more current. At some point you hit a limit and then the motor stays at constant HP and torque starts to drop off. In the ER battery, that transition is higher in the RPM range so you get more HP.
Sponsored