• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
A bullet point summary of my trip strategy and experience for others just getting or still waiting for a NACS adapter:

1. I have received my adapter from Ford. Not much to say about it. Prior to setting out I attempted to use it at a local Supercharger with 250kW Gen 3 hardware but not on the map as supporting the adapter. Lack of support confirmed.

2. I used ABRP app to set a course. If vehicle is already selected, go in and re-select the Lightining and it will ask if it is NACS ready. This opened up option of Superchargers in the planner, and it appears it only picks supported Supercharger sites (versus all Superchargers).

3. On the trip out, ABRP picked all Superchargers for charging. On the return trip, ABRP charted a selection that included a Electrify America stop. However, I had already decided I wanted to only use Superchargers to see if I would experience "no drama" of fully broken chargers, power stunted chargers, or a fight for a capable charging stall (Supercharger sites generally have more charging stalls than all other providers).

4. Because of my plan to only use Superchargers, I bought a month of membership at $12.99 to get reduced kWh rates. This re-enforced my resolve to utilize Superchargers for as many stops as practical which turned out to be all 6 stops. I disabled Plug n Charge in the Fordpass app so that charges would not be via Ford at non-member rates.

5. I started the trip at 100% charge and set the departure time with truck plugged in at home. On the road I paid $180.43 for 490 kWh, which is an average of $0.37/kWh. It is $0.395 if adding in the membership fee that was purchased for the trip. Pricing seems very competitive compared to ~$0.65/kWh recently paid at a GM EVgo site with pricing "concealed" both on PlugShare and EVgo's app.

6. Invoicing indicates I charged for 272 total minutes. Based on 490kWh, average charging speed was therefore 108kW. This included multiple pushes above 80% SOC but not more than 90% SOC.

7. Overall, the experience was indeed much better than experience with most other public DCFC sites. Nothing seemed broken. Sites had plenty of stalls - utilization was low enough that I wasn't too self conscious about taking up two spaces. At one site I initially thought that the spacing of the Teslas at the site was fully blocking me, but then found that the one "side" charger was accessible if the back end of truck stuck out of the stall a good ways which wasn't really a problem. Locations were fine (convenience store) to good (finer dining options). I would definitely consider sticking to 100% Superchargers on a future long trip, unless needing to fill in gaps that still exist for NACS adapter compatibility.

8. Minor criticisms: My main criticism (apart from cord length/location) is a general lack of information about stall power/current capability and other useful analytics not on a screen OR in the app. In a way, not having the screen takes away some of the stress - there is no worry about a Karen looking to see that I am at 84% and trying to educate me about charging above 80%. However, while I did experience full charging power (I recall 168kW at one point) I also was suspicious there were times where the charger might have been the limiting factor. I generally experienced rates of 105kW, 115kW, or ~160kW until 80%. It is not the most clear how power and current are split and what affect vehicles are having on other vehicles in near proximity. I'd like to see the app provide information like a charge session power curve, as well as log of current draw and power requested by vehicle. And of course cord length/location is a real issue long term.
Sponsored

Last edited:

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
In a way, not having the screen takes away some of the stress - there is no worry about a Karen looking to see that I am at 84% and trying to educate me about charging above 80%.
I'm a karen about this in my own head, or I complain to my wife about people I see charging to 100%... (there's always a chance of one car doing it at every stop) but I agree why IS there an obvious indicator to everyone else at EA? As a former tesla driver it has always bothered me.

It doesn't really provide any meaningful information to the driver (since the same SoC is listed in the dash) and because there is no charge limit listed on the indicator on the dispenser, it tells the rest of us nothing. If I'm waiting for a spot, and I see someone go past 85%, I'm getting more and more peeved. I'm not one to do it, but I am thinking once more general public has EVs, showing everyone your SoC is going to cause confrontations.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I'm a karen about this in my own head, or I complain to my wife about people I see charging to 100%... (there's always a chance of one car doing it at every stop) but I agree why IS there an obvious indicator to everyone else at EA? As a former tesla driver it has always bothered me.

It doesn't really provide any meaningful information to the driver (since the same SoC is listed in the dash) and because there is no charge limit listed on the indicator on the dispenser, it tells the rest of us nothing. If I'm waiting for a spot, and I see someone go past 85%, I'm getting more and more peeved. I'm not one to do it, but I am thinking once more general public has EVs, showing everyone your SoC is going to cause confrontations.
Yes - in no way am I defending charging to 100% if not absolutely necessary. But as you suggest, I think it is best for the network to address this, if warranted, in the same way as idle fees are addressed financially. For example, I would support a higher per kWh rate if the charging power is below XY kW and the site is XYZ% utilized.

I do wish there was a good way to address icing. I experienced someone with ICE taking a nap in a stall at a site. There were other available stalls (a nice benefit of power-sharing dispenser systems) in this case so nobody said anything, but there was definitely a risk of confrontation which maybe would be avoided with something like license-plate number based tolling.

queuewho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
But as you suggest, I think it is best for the network to address this, if warranted, in the same way as idle fees are addressed financially.
Exactly my thoughts. Pricing above 85% should start increasing as you go higher and higher, but only if the stalls are all full. If no one is there and you want some insurance %'s into the 90's then it's no problem. The issue I've seen is people who do it are on free sessions, either due to support issues or they have the various deals from other auto makers.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
The lack of displaying SOC is problematic at a busy Tesla location. If you're going to use 2 spaces, and every other space is full (we had this in Canada), who to you pull next to and wait? Answer - knocking on windows saying "how close are you?" Luckily I found a 91% on the 2nd knock.

To those that say "just wait in the lot", the Tesla cars come in and zoom into the empty spots without you being able to tell them you're in line. "Line, what line, there are 4 empty spots?"

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
The lack of displaying SOC is problematic at a busy Tesla location. If you're going to use 2 spaces, and every other space is full (we had this in Canada), who to you pull next to and wait? Answer - knocking on windows saying "how close are you?" Luckily I found a 91% on the 2nd knock.

To those that say "just wait in the lot", the Tesla cars come in and zoom into the empty spots without you being able to tell them you're in line. "Line, what line, there are 4 empty spots?"
I guess that is a problem specific to the cable reach issue, when combined with a full site. Long term I'd just want to see the site geometry issue resolved, and then maybe layer on a stall reservation system - especially for those whose vehicles are presently at the location (make the line virtual instead of physical).

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60
However, while I did experience full charging power (I recall 168kW at one point) I also was suspicious there were times where the charger might have been the limiting factor. I generally experienced rates of 105kW, 115kW, or ~160kW until 80%.
I really wish the vehicle would display more information... I haven't DCFC with the lightning in a while, so I'm guessing the dash still doesn't display the charging rates?

For what it is worth, the current workaround is get an OBDII connector (I recommend getting a BLE/bluetooth low energy version) and an app like car scanner which can show you the power going into the battery.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I really wish the vehicle would display more information... I haven't DCFC with the lightning in a while, so I'm guessing the dash still doesn't display the charging rates?

For what it is worth, the current workaround is get an OBDII connector (I recommend getting a BLE/bluetooth low energy version) and an app like car scanner which can show you the power going into the battery.
Better indication of SOC percentage versus GOM mileage, but still no display of charging power. Can get the charging power from the Tesla app though (all networks have this in their app). But, I do wish I'd spent more time looking at my Car Scanner app, as I think it has a field that displays the maximum charging power the vehicle is allowing, which I could have compared to what I was charging at.

Sponsored

ChrisInVegas

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Thank you for writing this up! I have one trip under my belt since getting the adapter and another trip soon. The adapter doesn't solve all the issues, but it is a HUGE improvement.

OP
OP

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
I probably also should have added the the Lightning is an amazingly comfortable road-tripper. I am typically wrecked if driving more than half a day straight. Probably a combination of seat design, overall roominess, and at least occasional hands-free with BlueCruise. I actually draped a thick sweatshirt across my waist as an elevated place to rest my arms.

I also have a Kia EV6 with faster (non-NACS) refilling of miles (faster charge power and smaller battery with higher mile/kWh efficiency) that could have been used, but the Lightning was actually a great pick for road-tripping.

FirstF150InCasco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
A bullet point summary of my trip strategy and experience for others just getting or still waiting for a NACS adapter:

1. I have received my adapter from Ford. Not much to say about it. Prior to setting out I attempted to use it at a local Supercharger with 250kW Gen 3 hardware but not on the map as supporting the adapter. Lack of support confirmed.

2. I used ABRP app to set a course. If vehicle is already selected, go in and re-select the Lightining and it will ask if it is NACS ready. This opened up option of Superchargers in the planner, and it appears it only picks supported Supercharger sites (versus all Superchargers).

3. On the trip out, ABRP picked all Superchargers for charging. On the return trip, ABRP charted a selection that included a Electrify America stop. However, I had already decided I wanted to only use Superchargers to see if I would experience "no drama" of fully broken chargers, power stunted chargers, or a fight for a capable charging stall (Supercharger sites generally have more charging stalls than all other providers).

4. Because of my plan to only use Superchargers, I bought a month of membership at $12.99 to get reduced kWh rates. This re-enforced my resolve to utilize Superchargers for as many stops as practical which turned out to be all 6 stops. I disabled Plug n Charge in the Fordpass app so that charges would not be via Ford at non-member rates.

5. I started the trip at 100% charge and set the departure time with truck plugged in at home. On the road I paid $180.43 for 490 kWh, which is an average of $0.37/kWh. It is $0.395 if adding in the membership fee that was purchased for the trip. Pricing seems very competitive compared to ~$0.65/kWh recently paid at a GM EVgo site with pricing "concealed" both on PlugShare and EVgo's app.

6. Invoicing indicates I charged for 272 total minutes. Based on 490kWh, average charging speed was therefore 108kW. This included multiple pushes above 80% SOC but not more than 90% SOC.

7. Overall, the experience was indeed much better than experience with most other public DCFC sites. Nothing seemed broken. Sites had plenty of stalls - utilization was low enough that I wasn't too self conscious about taking up two spaces. At one site I initially thought that the spacing of the Teslas at the site was fully blocking me, but then found that the one "side" charger was accessible if the back end of truck stuck out of the stall a good ways which wasn't really a problem. Locations were fine (convenience store) to good (finer dining options). I would definitely consider sticking to 100% Superchargers on a future long trip, unless needing to fill in gaps that still exist for NACS adapter compatibility.

8. Minor criticisms: My main criticism (apart from cord length/location) is a general lack of information about stall power/current capability and other useful analytics not on a screen OR in the app. In a way, not having the screen takes away some of the stress - there is no worry about a Karen looking to see that I am at 84% and trying to educate me about charging above 80%. However, while I did experience full charging power (I recall 168kW at one point) I also was suspicious there were times where the charger might have been the limiting factor. I generally experienced rates of 105kW, 115kW, or ~160kW until 80%. It is not the most clear how power and current are split and what affect vehicles are having on other vehicles in near proximity. I'd like to see the app provide information like a charge session power curve, as well as log of current draw and power requested by vehicle. And of course cord length/location is a real issue long term.
ADoubleE, thank you for the tip on re-registering the Lightning in ABRP. I've never used ABRP before (I'm pretty married to the Waze app), but I'll switch over to ABRP for a planned trip to Camden Maine later this month.

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
Iā€™ll share my similar experience with the OP for a current round trip road trip we do every year. I drive the familyā€¦ my wife, 2 kids and a Labrador from Central Coast of California to Coeur ā€˜d Alene, Idaho.
Last year we took the Lightning for the first time and got to experience EA and EVGO in all their glory. To be fair, it wasnā€™t terribleā€¦but it was unpleasant. Being an early adopter I was willing to overlook some issues (charger is ā€œworkingā€, but fails to charge, incredibly slow rates of charge, chargers out of service, and only 4 chargersā€¦all in use) but mainstream folks are not going to be willing to overlook those headaches.
This year I have the Tesla adapter, and I too paid the membership for the savings.
I tried once to use an EA charger (because it was where I wanted to charge) and it failed 4x to charge the truck (would start and fault within a minute). Iā€™ve been to 5x superchargers and itā€™s been flawless!! Always space, consistent and quick charging. The app is great and shows the charging info I need. Iā€™ve tried to be a conscientious user and stay to the far right to save spaces and honestly the headaches of short cords and difficulty parking havenā€™t been an issue at all.
Iā€™m now actively avoiding EA and EVGO, as the experience with Tesla Superchargers has been so great. Andā€¦cheaper to boot I should add. For example Iā€™m currently charging in Beaverton, OR at $0.18/kWh at a Supercharger and the EA nearby is $0.56ā€¦even with the discount for an EA Pass+ plan, itā€™s still way more expensive.

2 things Iā€™d like to see:
1: Wholeheartedly agree with all comments in regards to Fordā€™s lack of charging info within the vehicle. Yesā€¦itā€™s in the Tesla and FordPass appā€¦but that data should really be available in the vehicle.

2: Ford needs to include Tesla Superchargers in their navigation. Between ABRP and Tesla App I can find what Iā€™m looking for, but frankly itā€™s more difficult than it needs to be. Iā€™d really like this simplified.

Love the truck (despite some slight considerations/limitations). The whole family prefers taking the truck on the roadtripā€¦itā€™s super comfortable!!

Last edited: