• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Kyle and Tom race 1000 miles. NACS vs. CCS1

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
On my first long distance road trip in the Lightning, I drove around 1600 miles round trip from Atlanta to Miami. I was quite concerned hearing horror stories about EA. But honestly, not once did I have a single issue. I used EA almost exclusively, and every single time I was able to charge at peak rates. Im thankful for having supercharger access, but I do believe EA is stepping up to the plate now that they have serious competition. Its either sink or swim, and I am hopeful EA is on team swim.
Competition is healthy & good for the consumer market, hopefully all charging services read the market and adapt.
Sponsored

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Competition is healthy & good for the consumer market, hopefully all charging services read the market and adapt.
Whole heartedly agree. Thats why I was mainly looking forward for Tesla to open up. I also expect to see an alignment on EAs prices. It seems like on average they are $0.10-$0.15 more per KW.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Whole heartedly agree. Thats why I was mainly looking forward for Tesla to open up. I also expect to see an alignment on EAs prices. It seems like on average they are $0.10-$0.15 more per KW.
I think it’s about the same when you start comparing like for like. Tesla if you own one automatically considers you a member which is why the rates might seem lower.

I would say that both trips were likely hampered too since they didn’t know the route as well. I’ve learned to stop early/late to save that off course/round trip time. There’s some good Circle K and FPL ones in the south that offer good speeds and are right off the highway for example.

But I think that’s the point. To me this is the first step in getting on par with gas. Sure I have a preference for Exxon, but I’ll stop at a BP or a Shell if that light comes on. And I won’t hesitate to grab gas at Costco to save $0.10. NACS will be an extra tool for that and the competition will help drive reliability and availability.

I would say that both trips were likely hampered too since they didn’t know the route as well. I’ve learned to stop early/late to save that off course/round trip time. Especially in Florida where the FPL charger near JAX is quite good.

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I think it’s about the same when you start comparing like for like. Tesla if you own one automatically considers you a member which is why the rates might seem lower.

I would say that both trips were likely hampered too since they didn’t know the route as well. I’ve learned to stop early/late to save that off course/round trip time. There’s some good Circle K and FPL ones in the south that offer good speeds and are right off the highway for example.

But I think that’s the point. To me this is the first step in getting on par with gas. Sure I have a preference for Exxon, but I’ll stop at a BP or a Shell if that light comes on. And I won’t hesitate to grab gas at Costco to save $0.10. NACS will be an extra tool for that and the competition will help drive reliability and availability.

I would say that both trips were likely hampered too since they didn’t know the route as well. I’ve learned to stop early/late to save that off course/round trip time. Especially in Florida where the FPL charger near JAX is quite good.
I LOVE the FPL chargers in Florida. They always work, always put out great speed. And as a plus, if a station is faulted, you can reset them yourself. They have a great rate too. Im glad to see FPL rolling out more of these stations across the state. I wish GA had such a program.

OP
OP
bmwhitetx

bmwhitetx

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired engineer
Looks like Tom at least won the "First to post a video" race after losing the overall race by 3-6 minutes.

But I can understand Kyle being distracted on his video traveling to Florida to take delivery of his Cybertruck yesterday.

Sponsored

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
On my first long distance road trip in the Lightning, I drove around 1600 miles round trip from Atlanta to Miami. I was quite concerned hearing horror stories about EA. But honestly, not once did I have a single issue. I used EA almost exclusively, and every single time I was able to charge at peak rates. Im thankful for having supercharger access, but I do believe EA is stepping up to the plate now that they have serious competition. Its either sink or swim, and I am hopeful EA is on team swim.

Yes to all this. For me the ability to charge at Tesla is about opening up more options to make it more like gas (pull off at the next exit when the light goes on) and quality of convenience/comfort amenities. Looking at the routes I frequent, the ability to use Tesla will open up options to make it closer to ICE with less planning, and more focus on the convenience/comfort - e.g a Hampton inn with a dog park behind it, rather than another busy Walmart parking lot, or a turnpike rest stop rather than a nasty Wawa bathroom where I have to explain the meaning of graphic wall art etched on the stall door to my 5. Yr old.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Yes to all this. For me the ability to charge at Tesla is about opening up more options to make it more like gas (pull off at the next exit when the light goes on) and quality of convenience/comfort amenities. Looking at the routes I frequent, the ability to use Tesla will open up options to make it closer to ICE with less planning, and more focus on the convenience/comfort - e.g a Hampton inn with a dog park behind it, rather than another busy Walmart parking lot, or a turnpike rest stop rather than a nasty Wawa bathroom where I have to explain the meaning of graphic wall art etched on the stall door to my 5. Yr old.
Look, if you want a $4.99 pizza, you’re going to have to make some trade offs. Don’t get all fancy on us now.

Just do what I do, I look my kids in the eyes before we hop out of the truck “Remember, eyes on the floor kid”

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the only thing I was mehh about. Most of the EAs on my route are at a Walmart/ corner of a parking lot in some random strip mall. Much better if chargers were located along turnpike service plaza’s or Wawa (Bucees FTW!)

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
Kyle is busy putting a whooping on the Silverado and Lightning with his Cybertruck doing the same test.

Also, Car and Driver supposedly says 250 miles of range at 75mph. That is impressive.

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
Look, if you want a $4.99 pizza, you’re going to have to make some trade offs. Don’t get all fancy on us now.

Just do what I do, I look my kids in the eyes before we hop out of the truck “Remember, eyes on the floor kid”
Too late, there's only one kind of pizza and it pronounced "ah-beetz".

This is the only thing I was mehh about. Most of the EAs on my route are at a Walmart/ corner of a parking lot in some random strip mall. Much better if chargers were located along turnpike service plaza’s or Wawa (Bucees FTW!)
Exactly, and unfortunately those along the turnpike (CT and NJ anyway) don't seem to be opened yet. Haven't yet been to a Bucee's afraid of how much it's going to cost me to let my kids run around there for 30 min lol.

Sponsored

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Exactly, and unfortunately those along the turnpike (CT and NJ anyway) don't seem to be opened yet.
A couple are, I used the New London one on 2/29, and Mystic was also available.

Ford F-150 Lightning Kyle and Tom race 1000 miles. NACS vs. CCS1 1710019859764

Ffxdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lightning
A couple are, I used the New London one on 2/29, and Mystic was also available.

1710019859764.png
That one in NL is right down the road from family up there. I'm looking forward to that one as the primary alternative to EA in Waterford which has issues.

I was more talking about the ones in the rest stops themselves, like these:
Ford F-150 Lightning Kyle and Tom race 1000 miles. NACS vs. CCS1 1000235199
Ford F-150 Lightning Kyle and Tom race 1000 miles. NACS vs. CCS1 1000235197

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
That one in NL is right down the road from family up there. I'm looking forward to that one as the primary alternative to EA in Waterford which has issues.

I was more talking about the ones in the rest stops themselves, like these:
1000235199.png

1000235197.png
Right I stopped at one of the rest stops, but it was either V2 or not working V3, I had enough charge to get to eastern CT.

BTW, the Waterford EA gave troubles, but they fully comp'd the short session

WoodduckMN

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Chevy Bolt, 2013 Ford Explorer
Occupation
Manager
What was the total charging cost difference between the two charging networks?

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
What was the total charging cost difference between the two charging networks?
Tom talks about it in the last few minutes of his video. It was something like $9-10 if I recall. He qualifies the fact he not sure if Kyle was on the monthly plan. He was with EA.
Sponsored