• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

15in display heat safety mode?

Ry2023

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning
Hey guys… I had my 2023 ER lariat parked in a parking lot for a few hours yesterday on a hot sunny day…. and when I went to leave, the 15in screen did not come on …. I stopped ,reset the vehicle pushed all the buttons I could and nothing worked….. when I put my hand on the top of the screen It did feel very warm due to the sun, touching it for a few hours in the parking lot. Luckily I could use the max AC button at the bottom to turn the AC on. A few minutes down the road.(with the max ac turned. On) the screen turned on loaded up and worked as normal. Does anybody know if this was a safety feature for these screens and hot temperatures ?thanks.
Sponsored

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Hey guys… I had my 2023 ER lariat parked in a parking lot for a few hours yesterday on a hot sunny day…. and when I went to leave, the 15in screen did not come on …. I stopped ,reset the vehicle pushed all the buttons I could and nothing worked….. when I put my hand on the top of the screen It did feel very warm due to the sun, touching it for a few hours in the parking lot. Luckily I could use the max AC button at the bottom to turn the AC on. A few minutes down the road.(with the max ac turned. On) the screen turned on loaded up and worked as normal. Does anybody know if this was a safety feature for these screens and hot temperatures ?thanks.
The screen shutting down and not being available due to heat is problematic. This is because not being available due to a high ambient temperature means that the reverse camera is not available; something that is required by FMVSS 111 (which is applicable to all motor vehicles with a GVWR of less than 10,000 lbs).

I would recommend that you submit a defect report on the NHTSA website (www.nhtsa.gov).

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
The cameras have also been known to stop working in extreme heat.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ry2023

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning
Thanks for the replies guys! It’s working completely normal now … just that one time as I described ……if I happens again I’ll take it in

gmarcucio

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning, 23 Corvette, 23 Renegade, 22 Mini EV
Occupation
Retired High School Auto Tech Teacher
Thanks for the replies guys! It’s working completely normal now … just that one time as I described ……if I happens again I’ll take it in
Maybe get yourself a sunshade also might help. definitely helps save the interior components.

Adventureboy

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
It could have also been an update in progress. We've seen a fair number of goofy glitches due to updates. I'd put it as a watch item (and document) and if it happens again in the heat, keep track of it for warranty purposes.

Sneakypetie78

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 limited
Occupation
General Contractor
The screen shutting down and not being available due to heat is problematic. This is because not being available due to a high ambient temperature means that the reverse camera is not available; something that is required by FMVSS 111 (which is applicable to all motor vehicles with a GVWR of less than 10,000 lbs).

I would recommend that you submit a defect report on the NHTSA website (www.nhtsa.gov).
This is one incident. Hardly an "issue" at hand, and your conjecture. I was in Palm Desert, CA on July 5th, last week. 124 degrees ambient temp before sun. No screen or camera problems.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Ry2023

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning
Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP

Ry2023

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 f150 lightning
I was in Palm Desert, CA on July 5th, last week. 124 degrees ambient temp before sun. No screen or camera problems.
Wow … it was only 96 here in full sun….

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
My MME did this randomly 3 or 4 times over the year and a half I owned it. I don't think it's heat related at all. Not sure what else to tell you except that the dealerships isn't going to be much help unless it's consistent enough to show them.

ChippewaBarr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Platinum Agate Black
Something like Global Up/Down Windows would solve this problem pretty easily IMO. Already can enable it in ForScan, but should be default from the factory.

Just cracking a window would drastically reduce the heat in the cabin.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I don’t think it has anything to do with heat, either. I had it happen on my Mach-E a couple times, never when it was under extreme heat. It was solved by replacing the APIM.
Sponsored